The Coronavirus thread

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:54 am

A bit but not much. Enough shots in the video at the link below that you can see it was busy, not just lens distortion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53190209
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:32 am

I hate these littering cnuts:

Deuteronomy

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:04 pm

Stuart,
how are you coping with the lockdown. I ask, because of those whom I aware of their personal circumstances, it strikes me that you might be finding harder than most.
Hopefully you have found ways to deal with it all.

Lots of cooking perhaps as you seemed to enjoy that
Dirk

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:16 pm

Dirk wrote:Stuart,
how are you coping with the lockdown. I ask, because of those whom I aware of their personal circumstances, it strikes me that you might be finding harder than most.

Dirk, he can just get rid of the clock, it's a lifestyle choice.
Deuteronomy

Post by Ghost @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:36 pm

My brother has lived in Hove for the last 15 years, and says the beaches there were rammed yesterday more than he's ever seen them.

The UK public really are fuckwits.
Ghost

Post by span @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:41 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:

:D
span

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:

Ridiculously unfair

Too big to fit in a normal bin and most tips have been closed
Dirk

Post by stuart @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:33 pm

it strikes me that you might be finding hard

Yes. Honestly it's been pretty awful and depressing. This is probably the most depressed I've been in ages. Missing my mates, missing going out to the pub.

Even before this I never slept that well, but that's got worse too.

Dirk wrote:Lots of cooking perhaps as you seemed to enjoy that

Yes, lots of cooking and lots of walking too now, even if I can't actually interact with people.

Also bought some internet courses for programming languages I'm trying to learn, so lots of studying too.

I can't wait for it all to be over!!

One good thing is at the end of it I've been told I can work from home permanently. So I'm thinking of selling the flat and moving as I don't need to be in Glasgow City Centre anymore.

Could be worse though, I have a mate who has been told to shelter till August. He hasn't been outside his flat since March!
Last edited by stuart on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:54 pm

Where do you fancy moving to?
Dirk

Post by stuart @ Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 am

Dirk wrote:Where do you fancy moving to?

Staying near Glasgow but out to the suburbs possibly, I haven't started looking yet as it's dependent on what I can get for my flat. I'm a bit sick of dealing with factors, and the cost of that, sometimes it's like a second mortgage! but also sick of having neighbours. I know I would still have neighbours but at least in a detached house it would be better.
Last edited by stuart on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuart

Post by Firkin @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:23 pm

Am I the only one here still furloughed? I’m getting so bored, my job is impossible to do from home and I’ve not heard anything from Management for over a month now. I’ve started looking at what jobs are out there but no surprise that there are few job all of which are getting huge responses.

Really getting depressed by it all and financially a bit concerned :)
Firkin

Post by stuart @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1277960112691273728?s=21

Only in England.

SCotland we've been including pillar 3 cases for a while.

Also, when the PM talks about deaths in UK. He means England. SCotland hasn't had a death attributed to Covid-19 now in 13 days.
stuart

Post by S1K @ Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:03 am

I’ve been feeling achey all day like I’m coming down with something and the lymph node in my right armpit is swollen and I feel a bit feverish this evening. The right thing to do would be to get a test to see if I’ve got Covid, seeing as I’ve obviously got some kind of infection or illness.

So I go on the gov.wales website to see about booking a test. It asks me lots of questions including whether I’m a key worker which I am, then asks me how I would like to access a test. There are no home test kits available though and no walk-through tests either, so it’s drive-through or nothing. The two places it tells me have tests available are Haverfordwest in Pembrokeshire, fifty-odd miles away, and Launceston in Cornwall, 70-odd miles away as the crow flies but not that accessible from South Wales without a boat. Haverfordwest it is then, they have 90 places available apparently. None tomorrow though, or the next day or all the way through until next Tuesday which is as far as I bothered checking because if you don’t have a test within five days of symptoms appearing then there’s no point according to the website.

It is thus impossible to get a Covid test. Lemsip it is. It’s probably not Covid I know and if I get terribly ill I’ll go to hospital. We’re only halfway through September though, hardly peak flu season and already the system is overwhelmed. Not particularly inspiring is it?
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:36 am

We’ve been trying to get a test and haven’t even got to the point where we’re offered a test site.

I’ve heard from a number of sources that all you need is the QR code then you can go to any convenient test site. We can’t even get that though.

Schools are being very careful so if a kid has a temp or cough or taste thing then they’re sent home to isolate for 10 days unless they can provide a negative test result. Kids always get colds in September so the demand has spiked. A hugely predictable thing has happened and once again hasn’t been planned for.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:09 am

There’s a test centre near me and I know someone who works at it. He said they have been capped at 200 tests per day when they used to do 1000-1200 per day.
Clown Ice Skater #4

The Coronavirus thread

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:There’s a test centre near me and I know someone who works at it. He said they have been capped at 200 tests per day when they used to do 1000-1200 per day.

This is the bit I don’t get. The nearest city has a gigantic test site taking up an entire stadium car park, which we had to use a month or so ago. According to the local rag it’s currently doing 2-4 tests... an hour.

One can only assume they’re being restricted in the number of test kits they have as there’s no doubt the physical capacity to manage hundreds of cars an hour (8 lanes).

So. fcuking. Stupid.

In a household with a teacher, a teenager, a second peripatetic teenager and a family bubble with geriatrics, one wrong move in three different schools and we’re fcuked.
Last edited by Käsemeister on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:52 am

The testing centres themselves aren't the cause apparently. I'm told it's the upstream and downstream resources that are the problem. Not enough tests, not enough labs and people to do the results.

Operation Moonshoot is hoping to get some amazing Chinese tests that will give results in 30 minutes. aka it's September and we're desperately trying to catch up with where a lot of countries were in March. It's maddening to know there will be zero accountability over all these cock ups.
thekungfury

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:39 am

thekungfury wrote:zero accountability over all these cock ups.

This is what enrages me, couple that with the fact that the catastrophic impact of Brexit will be bundled into C19, no one will ever be held to account.

The absolute fcuking cnuts.
Deuteronomy

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Something is slightly puzzling me, so I'm hoping one of you lot will know where to find some info to satisfy my curiosity...

As we know, Covid-19 spreads like wildfire in densely populated areas if preventative measures aren't taken. The UK as a whole is a relatively densely populated country, especially around London, with the added risk of being one of the largest transport hubs in the world.

Yet the areas which have thus far incurred localised lockdowns/restrictions are ooop North, Midlands and I believe I heard somewhere in Wales today. With the exception of whatever part of Birmingham it was, these areas are not really massively populated - when compared to London.

So how come London isn't being affected? Are there just as many cases but it's being ignored because 'London', or are Londoners a more obedient, caring community? (obvs not).

Any stats for cases by city/region available?
Careless Whisperer

Post by S1K @ Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Wales isn’t densely populated overall but the bits which are populated are densely populated. The south coast towns and cities and the Rhymney, Taff and Rhondda Valleys are all densely populated then you have all of mid Wales above them with very little population. If there’s an outbreak here I’m not surprised.
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:06 pm

It is still more local than the regions that the news seem to talk about For example if you believe the headlines the NE is going into lockdown. But in reality some areas are, because the NE has the 2nd lowest number of new cases (if we exclude NI)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... in-the-uk/

Wales is 3rd lowest (again excluding NI). But evidently that particular bit has a high number
Dirk

Post by Aesgarth @ Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:27 pm

Dirk wrote:It is still more local than the regions that the news seem to talk about For example if you believe the headlines the NE is going into lockdown. But in reality some areas are, because the NE has the 2nd lowest number of new cases

All 1935.53 square miles of Northumberland, because of twenty something cases per day.

I'm massively fcuked off with this. I'm not technically allowed to go to work when there hasn't been a local case for over a month. I only just managed to get through the first lockdown (from a financial point of view) and just as I'm seeing the beginnings of recovery I'm fcuked again.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:So how come London isn't being affected? Are there just as many cases but it's being ignored because 'London', or are Londoners a more obedient, caring community?

There are likely to be several reasons but certainly in London you have a lot of people that would commute to an office job from outside the M25 who aren't doing so. There is also a theory about the ripple effect where London was hit hard early and we're only just seeing that reach other areas. Seems too late in the day for me as you'd expect that to be happening months ago.

There was a joke in the beginning about the spread of Covid being linked to 2 factors; how dense a population is and how dense a population is. Might that also be a factor here? I'm not saying these areas under tighter lockdowns are full of thick people, but, well.
thekungfury

Post by Dirk @ Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:19 pm

thekungfury wrote: There is also a theory about the ripple effect where London was hit hard early and we're only just seeing that reach other areas. Seems too late in the day for me as you'd expect that to be happening months ago

I remember that Wales was one of the worst areas right at the start. I remember commenting on it, indeed

http://www.chew-the-fat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=40962&p=1153214&hilit=wales#p1153214

So Wales was 2nd worst back in March

SW quickly dropped down the list and has has one of the lowest rates ever since
Dirk

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:19 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:Something is slightly puzzling me, so I'm hoping one of you lot will know where to find some info to satisfy my curiosity...

As we know, Covid-19 spreads like wildfire in densely populated areas if preventative measures aren't taken. The UK as a whole is a relatively densely populated country, especially around London, with the added risk of being one of the largest transport hubs in the world.

Yet the areas which have thus far incurred localised lockdowns/restrictions are ooop North, Midlands and I believe I heard somewhere in Wales today. With the exception of whatever part of Birmingham it was, these areas are not really massively populated - when compared to London.

So how come London isn't being affected? Are there just as many cases but it's being ignored because 'London', or are Londoners a more obedient, caring community? (obvs not).

Any stats for cases by city/region available?

Redbridge has the highest number of new cases followed by Hounslow, Havering and Newham.

https://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/h ... -1-6834352

I'm not sure about Hounslow, but Redbridge, Havering and Newham all contain areas which are very overcrowded. Newham particularly is very deprived and there's a lot of immigrant workers living in shared accommodation. Redbridge has a high number of Pakistani and Indian families, again living in close proximity. I'm going to speculate that the boroughs oop north have a similar socioeconomic pattern to those London boroughs worst affected.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by S1K @ Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:27 pm

I’ve got COVID-19
S1K

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:38 pm

S1K wrote:I’ve got COVID-19
Oh dear I hope you recover soon. Let us know how you get on
Doctor Congo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:47 pm

Oh no! Please look after yourself and I hope you get over it soon.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Bummer. Get well soon.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery