The Coronavirus thread

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

The Coronavirus thread

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Welcome to the pandemic.

I'll go first.

Daughter no 2 has just returned from a school trip to Israel (for theology, not because she's thinking of converting, or because the school is indoctrinating them. Though maybe she is, or maybe it is - I'm usually the last to know).

Today was the first day of her A level mocks. The deal was: Go to Israel and you have to revise before you go and while you're out there. Deal not complied with, on either count. So today's paper didn't go that well by all accounts.

I've just taken a call to say she thinks he has the coronavirus. She has a cough (didn't have it this morning), and shortness of breath (ditto). No fever/temperature though. And, this is the vector identified: there were some Koeans in Israel the week before she was there, and they have it.

I have told her to do to the local doctor and present herself as suspected corona positive if she dares.

Honestly, the things that girl will do to get out of doing exams are just incredible.
Greg66

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Strawman @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:31 pm

I work with someone who lives in Worthing, where some of the UK's first cases were caught, he's not ill yet though.
Strawman

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:48 pm

My kids are worried because there are a couple of Chinese kids in their school, one of them in Master CW's class.

MCW had a tummy bug over half term and was convinced he was going to die...

...he doesn't know how close he came to it, but nothing to do with Coronavirus.
Last edited by Careless Whisperer on Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Dirk @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:03 pm

I was at some airports last week. And now have a stinking cold. Though there might have been some Johnny foreigners in the airport so it might be Coronavirus. If only I had a blue passport I would be safe
Dirk

Post by Turntable @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm

These types of things just highlight how thick most of the population are.
You can be your arse all the Chinese takeaways in poor areas are having a hard time of it at the moment.

Good for your daughter though Greg. Id be equally annoyed/proud of her
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:41 pm

I usually got to Italy about now.
You'd think with all the cases in Italy the ticket price would drop?
The fvck it has.
What a rubbish virus.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by S1K @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:42 pm

I know an Italian through the internet, and he doesn’t live that far from me. Should I be worried?
S1K

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:46 pm

S1K wrote:I know an Italian through the internet, and he doesn’t live that far from me. Should I be worried?

Only for the integrity of your arse.
DI Burnside

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Il Duce wrote:I usually got to Italy about now.
You'd think with all the cases in Italy the ticket price would drop?
The fvck it has.
What a rubbish virus.

That's because of that oddity of airline ticketing: one way tickets are often more than returns.
Greg66

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:36 pm

A friend of mine is getting really paranoid about it. Tins and pasta and conspiracy theories that we’re taking the piss out of him for.

Anyway if I was to have someone sneeze at me I’d just sneeze it back at them and the same time, cancelling out their sneeze.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:48 pm

The Super Spreader is in hospital about 800 yards from my flat. I'm pretty certain I have Coronavirus now. And now you've read this you all do too. Soz.
manfromdelmonte

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:11 pm

Mrs B is involved in this at a very high level, so high she can’t talk to me about it (and she hasn’t !). The govt are proper shitting bricks about this but she’s a bit meh despite her default position being a bit of a panic merchant.

We’re also on lockdown at work, except we’re not.
DI Burnside

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:53 am

All of our team who left Wuhan a couple of days before the lockdown have been cleared from self-isolation and are able to go back to work, except they can't because the project they're allocated to is still in Wuhan which is still locked down. Thankfully they all fancy a bit of a holiday after almost a year in Wuhan which I can understand as I wanted out of there almost immediately I arrived each time.

The panickers back home are asking if we're planning on heading back to Europe until this thing blows over?

Eh? What?

1. It's not like we're over here on holiday and can just drop everything and pop back.

2. It's also highly unlikely to blow over anytime soon and is not exactly the start of 28 days later or the like, so why bother?

And C., despite the much higher population density, I reckon the lads here are better prepared and resourced than poor old Tokes, Dibbers & Congers are which is a shame cos they seem like nice guys.

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked if the AC filters serving our offices can stop the virus I wouldn't be a millionaire, but I'd have more than enough for a nice lunch and a couple of glasses of wine. This is of course ignoring the fact that it's not actually airborne so isn't going to make it up to the roof to be trapped by the filters in the first instance and if it did, it wouldn't be stopped as our filters are rated from 0.3 microns upward and your average coronabug is apparently about 0.12 microns.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Dirk @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:59 am

thekungfury wrote:conspiracy theories that we’re taking the piss out of him for.

Do these conspiracy theories include the one that it originated 5km from a chinese biological warfare research site?
Dirk

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 am

DI Burnside wrote:
S1K wrote:I know an Italian through the internet, and he doesn’t live that far from me. Should I be worried?

Only for the integrity of your arse.

Don't base your opinion on your mum's experience.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by span @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:37 am

I switch between blithely dismissing Mr Span's coronavirus updates, and thinking 'only 2%?? That's fiiiine!!' and then feeling all a bit panicky and working out which rooms in our house are best to live in until it all blows over / we run out of snacks.
span

Post by Strawman @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:42 am

span wrote: and thinking 'only 2%??

It doesn't look like that is the real figure now. Some other factors are in play, but frample a film direcotr and his whole family died after they put themselves in self isolation, the chances of 4 people catching it and all dying if it had such a low mortality rate are over 5million to 1.
Strawman

Post by Dirk @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:43 am

span wrote:I switch between blithely dismissing Mr Span's coronavirus updates, and thinking 'only 2%?? That's fiiiine!!' and then feeling all a bit panicky and working out which rooms in our house are best to live in until it all blows over / we run out of snacks.

Why couldn't you live in all rooms? This isn't surviving a nuclear blast after all
Dirk

Post by Dirk @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:47 am

Strawman wrote:
span wrote: and thinking 'only 2%??

It doesn't look like that is the real figure now. Some other factors are in play, but frample a film direcotr and his whole family died after they put themselves in self isolation, the chances of 4 people catching it and all dying if it had such a low mortality rate are over 5million to 1.

Bad maths

That probability would only apply if all events were independent. But they wouldn't be in this case, not least because of the common genetics which may make them more susceptible.

And that is ignoring the fact that with lots of throws of the dice (probably about 100k people have the disease) odd chances are more likely to occur
Dirk

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:46 am

Hmmmm. This might be an opportunity to dust off the post-apoplectic zombie survival plan and do a dress rehearsal by activating the island sanctuary scenario. Might be a bit tricky afterwards having to explain away bumping off any of the 150 or so local islanders if they sneeze...
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by span @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Dirk wrote:
span wrote:I switch between blithely dismissing Mr Span's coronavirus updates, and thinking 'only 2%?? That's fiiiine!!' and then feeling all a bit panicky and working out which rooms in our house are best to live in until it all blows over / we run out of snacks.

Why couldn't you live in all rooms? This isn't surviving a nuclear blast after all

I don't KNOW Dirk I'm bloody PANICKING aren't I!!!!
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:17 pm

tanglerat wrote: post-apoplectic

Story of my life.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:35 pm

The problem here is that you don’t want to die of coronavirus, so you’re worried you might. If you change your mindset to wanting to die from coronavirus then you might worry a bit that you won’t die but at least all the news updates and internet rumours won’t alarm you. If anything you’ll find them reassuring.
S1K

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:06 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:All of our team who left Wuhan a couple of days before the lockdown have been cleared from self-isolation and are able to go back to work, except they can't because the project they're allocated to is still in Wuhan which is still locked down. Thankfully they all fancy a bit of a holiday after almost a year in Wuhan which I can understand as I wanted out of there almost immediately I arrived each time.

The panickers back home are asking if we're planning on heading back to Europe until this thing blows over?

Eh? What?

1. It's not like we're over here on holiday and can just drop everything and pop back.

2. It's also highly unlikely to blow over anytime soon and is not exactly the start of 28 days later or the like, so why bother?

And C., despite the much higher population density, I reckon the lads here are better prepared and resourced than poor old Tokes, Dibbers & Congers are which is a shame cos they seem like nice guys.

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked if the AC filters serving our offices can stop the virus I wouldn't be a millionaire, but I'd have more than enough for a nice lunch and a couple of glasses of wine. This is of course ignoring the fact that it's not actually airborne so isn't going to make it up to the roof to be trapped by the filters in the first instance and if it did, it wouldn't be stopped as our filters are rated from 0.3 microns upward and your average coronabug is apparently about 0.12 microns.

We will be fiiiiiine. Mr Hancock says so, therefore we shouldn’t worry right?

Our hospital has shipping containers parked out from to dump the outbreak monkeys in once they’re suspected of the infection.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:37 pm

span wrote:
Dirk wrote:

I don't KNOW Dirk I'm bloody PANICKING aren't I!!!!

:D
Dirk

Post by desertweasel @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:42 pm

It is going to have real commercial impact though. I had a quick glance at the loads for a certain well-known middle eastern airline, 4 flights to Singapore tomorrow not one has more than 100 people in all classes 3x 777 (426 capacity) and one A380 had 90 onboard(480 or 517 according to layout), those figures are an unmitigated disaster.
Expect a lot of airline bankruptcies or layoffs.
desertweasel

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm

desertweasel wrote:It is going to have real commercial impact though. I had a quick glance at the loads for a certain well-known middle eastern airline, 4 flights to Singapore tomorrow not one has more than 100 people in all classes 3x 777 (426 capacity) and one A380 had 90 onboard(480 or 517 according to layout), those figures are an unmitigated disaster.

So, possibly some cheap flights going? Silver lining and all that?
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by desertweasel @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:36 pm

tanglerat wrote:
desertweasel wrote:It is going to have real commercial impact though. I had a quick glance at the loads for a certain well-known middle eastern airline, 4 flights to Singapore tomorrow not one has more than 100 people in all classes 3x 777 (426 capacity) and one A380 had 90 onboard(480 or 517 according to layout), those figures are an unmitigated disaster.

So, possibly some cheap flights going? Silver lining and all that?

possibly initially but going forward the response to things like this is to cut capacity, thereby keeping prices high, and park planes.
desertweasel

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:08 pm

The economic cost is going to be huge. China’s GDP in a fortnight is the same as Belgium’s annual.

And dead people, of course, but, y’know, money.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by S1K @ Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:34 pm

Do you think your elderly and infirm relatives might die when it comes to the UK? My grandmother, pictured playing Scrabble the other day, is 100 years old. It wouldn’t take much to knock her off her perch. I expect I’ll be okay but my stepsister is in a wheelchair and is pretty immobile because she has cerebral palsy and a serious lung infection would be a lot worse for her, especially if the NHS was under great pressure when she got it.
S1K

Next

Return to The Doctor's Surgery