The Coronavirus thread

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:28 pm

So looking into this app it’s nothing to do with the NHS at all but is labelled as such. It’s a private provider that has received this contract without it going to tender and have failed. Accountability with department of health.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:52 pm

IMG_7958.jpg
IMG_7958.jpg (173.53 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Doctor Congo

Post by stuart @ Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:21 pm

I was out yesterday for a walk in a park and some green areas along the river. I was wearing a face mask, but only saw a couple of other people wearning a mask.

It made a massive difference to my hayfever though, normally when I'm outside this time of the year I feel like i want to rip my own mouth, throat and nose out. The mask, even just a basic fabric one, seems to make a huge difference.

I got a few odd looks but fcuk em. I'll take a virus every spring please if it means I can wear a face mask and not feel like the trees and grass are trying to kill me via my mouth and nose.

I woke up this morning at around 4am, mouth all itchy, nose running like crazy and sneezing, then all the same again at around 6. I try not to get up till 9! I hate this time of year.
Last edited by stuart on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Dr C. Once again in the interests of accuracy can I point out that your quoted picture, does overestimate the cost by a factor of 30 or so.

I still think the bigger question is why no-one, not the UK, EU or anyone had developed such an App prior to the Covid-19 being identified. If we were expecting a pandemic and this was supposed to be the way to go then it should have existed before. Its not like it needs to be specific to the virus (apart from a few easily configurable parameters like proximity and duration).

But the whether it is the right way go I am not certain. The lauded German track and trace team think the app is only worth it if you get >80% of the population downloading it. Which they don't expect so they think their version will be pointless too
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by WD40 @ Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:So looking into this app it’s nothing to do with the NHS at all but is labelled as such. It’s a private provider that has received this contract without it going to tender and have failed. Accountability with department of health.

Will the private company be paying back the public money used to reach this point? Of course not. Nice little earner for them.

Pigeon wrote:To me the name Serco signifies a bunch of grifters and chancers who have found a cushy number doing things badly for arseheaded governments who think that the public sector should be nothing more than a minimal number of bureaucrats engaged in funnelling public money to private sector grifters and chancers, who nobody in the government has even a single share in nor the faintest vestige of any intention of being on the board of once they're done with politics, of course not, and who keep most of it themselves while using the least amount possible to pay some further bunch of anonymous incompetents to knock out any old shit that technically fulfils the contract but practically is useless.

At the risk of not having any original thoughts, this echoes my sentiments exactly. It's why all government infrastructure projects run over time, over budget and usually utterly fail to deliver the promised service. Since basically forever, not even a party political thing.

Dirk wrote:I still think the bigger question is why no-one, not the UK, EU or anyone had developed such an App prior to the Covid-19 being identified. If we were expecting a pandemic and this was supposed to be the way to go then it should have existed before. Its not like it needs to be specific to the virus (apart from a few easily configurable parameters like proximity and duration).

As ever, cost vs. benefit. Who is going to invest the time and money in something that is statistically unlikely to occur very frequently - once a decade if we count SARs, swine flu, bird flu etc. Once a century if comparing it with Spanish flu etc. We don't even spend the money that government studies recommend be spent in the event of a possible pandemic, we just bank on it not happening in the next term of government (ref Exercise Cygnus).

Someone will only start to do it once a buyer has been identified, as we've seen this year. From there it doesn't matter which is best, it matters more which supplier has personal ties to government figures so the backhander can be sent in the "right" direction.

I understand the latest as "we might have one usable by winter", rather than a "world-beating one by >checks current date< 1st June". I've asked the blacksmith to make a bolt for the stable door that the horses fled from nine months ago. It's throwing good money after bad? What?
WD40

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:03 pm

WD40 wrote:
Dirk wrote:I still think the bigger question is why no-one, not the UK, EU or anyone had developed such an App prior to the Covid-19 being identified. If we were expecting a pandemic and this was supposed to be the way to go then it should have existed before. Its not like it needs to be specific to the virus (apart from a few easily configurable parameters like proximity and duration).

As ever, cost vs. benefit. Who is going to invest the time and money in something that is statistically unlikely to occur very frequently - once a decade if we count SARs, swine flu, bird flu etc. Once a century if comparing it with Spanish flu etc. We don't even spend the money that government studies recommend be spent in the event of a possible pandemic, we just bank on it not happening in the next term of government (ref Exercise Cygnus).

Someone will only start to do it once a buyer has been identified, as we've seen this year. From there it doesn't matter which is best, it matters more which supplier has personal ties to government figures so the backhander can be sent in the "right" direction.

I understand the latest as "we might have one usable by winter", rather than a "world-beating one by >checks current date< 1st June". I've asked the blacksmith to make a bolt for the stable door that the horses fled from nine months ago. It's throwing good money after bad? What?

Trouble is then a s/w procurement to be just in time after a pandemic starts was always going to be a disaster. Unclear reqts etc

And so it has proved.And so far I don't see that any country has got a good app working effectively

But in terms of funding. The WHO has a budget of $4.4bn. The cost of this app is in millions. It would have made sense for them to develop one that any country could use
Dirk

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:45 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53105642

So basically, like much of what Hancock has said throughout this crisis, it’s total bullshit.
Doctor Congo

Post by WD40 @ Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:21 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53105642

So basically, like much of what Hancock has said throughout this crisis, it’s total bullshit.

surprisedface
WD40

Post by WD40 @ Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:24 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:https://twitter.com/allysonpollock/status/1273746900345380864?s=21

18,000 call handlers contacted 10,000 contacts in two weeks. Staggering.

They should have given the currently furloughed car salespeople the job, they get a much better hit rate...
WD40

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:46 am

I've been reading some alarming developments regarding a strain of Covid, D614G. It's the main strain running wild here in Europe and US and it's more infectious and more damaging than the earlier strains that hit Asia.

Viruses with the D614G mutation infected cells more efficiently than those without it

Roughly about 12 per cent of the individuals infected by the new outbreak in Beijing are in a critical condition, according to the Beijing health authorities
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:00 pm

WD40 wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:https://twitter.com/allysonpollock/status/1273746900345380864?s=21

They should have given the currently furloughed car salespeople the job, they get a much better hit rate...

But then no-one would have trusted them ;)

It was actually 97,000 contacts - starting from 10,000 who had tested positive

Would be interesting to know why the 3400 odd who had tested positive could not be contacted.
Did they not try very hard?
Had people given fake contact details?
I guess we will never know
Dirk

Post by ypauly @ Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:55 pm

thekungfury wrote:I've been reading some alarming developments regarding a strain of Covid, D614G. It's the main strain running wild here in Europe and US and it's more infectious and more damaging than the earlier strains that hit Asia.

Viruses with the D614G mutation infected cells more efficiently than those without it

Roughly about 12 per cent of the individuals infected by the new outbreak in Beijing are in a critical condition, according to the Beijing health authorities

fcuk me, I thought things were getting better
ypauly

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:01 am

Not in the US

Dirk

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:13 am

Interesting videoon how google search terms can identify upturns and downturns

Watch for Houston in the next week or two

Also a tantalising suggestion that social distancing may have been enough without lock down, but of course we will never know
Dirk

Post by WD40 @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:22 pm

Dirk wrote:
WD40 wrote:

But then no-one would have trusted them ;)

It was actually 97,000 contacts - starting from 10,000 who had tested positive

A fair point. :hehe:

5 contacts each in a fortnight is a bit better. Still...
WD40

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:41 am

Things must be almost back to normal. I received my first "electricity and gas" call from India yesterday.

I told them everyone was dead from covid and so we didn't need any power as we were burning the bodies to keep warm.
Can't believe they hung up!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by ypauly @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:44 am

Il Duce wrote:Things must be almost back to normal. I received my first "electricity and gas" call from India yesterday.

I told them everyone was dead from covid and so we didn't need any power as we were burning the bodies to keep warm.
Can't believe they hung up!

:hehe:

I am going to use that
ypauly

Post by ypauly @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:09 am

I was furloughed for 9 weeks and all I can say is, thank fcuk Jeremy Kyle had already been cancelled
ypauly

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:13 am

You back at work now ypauly?

What about anyone else that was furloughed. Any change? Or hope of change with the new relaxations?
Dirk

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Europe has seen an increase in weekly cases of Covid-19 for the first time in months as virus-curbing restrictions are eased, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

In 11 countries, which have not been named, accelerated transmission has led to "very significant" resurgences, said Regional Director Dr Hans Henri Kluge.
Dirk

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:16 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717

I'm expecting Bournemouth beach to be closed because of this. Ridiculous.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Aesgarth @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:38 pm

So many arseholes should be surprising and yet...
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:45 pm

I wouldn't fancy a beach that crowded even without a virus
Dirk

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:50 pm

So many tents and gazebos - who the hell takes those to the beach?
Careless Whisperer

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:52 pm

Who wants to sit in the sun when it’s 30 degrees ? I want to sit in the fridge !
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:14 pm

In fairness the beach (sun, heat, fresh air) is probably an extremely safe place today wrt the spread of 'rona. Hopefully none of those people need to eat, use the toilet, get fuel or stop off at the services.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by desertweasel @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Dirk wrote:Europe has seen an increase in weekly cases of Covid-19 for the first time in months as virus-curbing restrictions are eased, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

In 11 countries, which have not been named, accelerated transmission has led to "very significant" resurgences, said Regional Director Dr Hans Henri Kluge.

We are back in lockdown (no travel outside your district) with half the areas in our council in total lockdown. Pub in the village is still open though (outside service only) so that's ok.
desertweasel

Post by ypauly @ Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Dirk wrote:You back at work now ypauly?

What about anyone else that was furloughed. Any change? Or hope of change with the new relaxations?

Yes I'm back at work have been for a couple of weeks
ypauly

Post by stuart @ Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 am

Dirk wrote:I wouldn't fancy a beach that crowded even without a virus

I wonder if the long lense here is making it look worse than it is.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery