The Coronavirus thread

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by S1K @ Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Bummer.

Well that’s not very polite Damo.
S1K

Post by minornut @ Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:55 pm

Get well soon S1K

Interesting statistic posted on my local Facebook group by an NHS staff member.

More NHS staff have have died as a result of COVID in the past 7 months than the total number of HM Forces killed in hostile action in Afghanistan and Iraq since 2001.
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by minimoog @ Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:34 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
S1K wrote:I’ve got COVID-19

Oh no! Please look after yourself and I hope you get over it soon.

Very much ^this. Take care and get well fella.
minimoog

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:41 am

Please just stop. Don’t fcuk with it.

Rest. Rest. Rest. Rest. Rest.
Käsemeister

Post by S1K @ Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:40 am

Thanks all, and that’s exactly what I’m doing KM. Mainly sleeping.
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:42 pm

Government on Cummings: Following the instincts and looking after his family. If he’s guilty of anything it’s being a good father*

Also Government: Leave the house with Covid and you’ll be fined £10k

* incredibly that’s not an Alan Partridge quote. MP Andrew Lewer said it.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:09 pm

S1K wrote:Thanks all, and that’s exactly what I’m doing KM. Mainly sleeping.

We’re six months on and still not entirely right, just take it slow. We kept thinking we were past the worst and would get up and do stuff and pay for it the following day in spades. Just rest.
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:11 pm

This looks 2nd wavy

thekungfury

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Please just stop. Don’t fcuk with it.

Rest. Rest. Rest. Rest. Rest.

Yes, this, S1K. Rest more now than you think you need to. Once the symptoms have passed, listen to your body. If you’re breathless, rest. If that doesn’t help get a blood O2 monitor. You can’t power through a virus so don’t try. All you do is take energy from your immune system.
Greg66

Post by S1K @ Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:21 pm

I’ve got an O2 meter and I’m at 95-96% at the moment. I’m a bit concerned because I have a tiring and physical job and I was hoping to do a lot of overtime in the run up to Christmas. I guess that might not be possible this year. It’ll just be a case of seeing how it goes I suppose.
S1K

Post by NNK @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:44 am

Auckland goes down to Level 2 (from 2.5 whatever the f that was) and rest of country to Level 1.
I realise the levels may not mean much to you all , but AKL has been at a higher alert than everywhere else for about 6 weeks now IIRC.

And if anyone reads NZ news the AKL harbour bridge is f'ed, 4 lanes out of 8 operating following hiugh winds and trucks tipping/crashing last Friday.
I was a minute or two behind the first one to go over and went past it before emergency vehicles got to it. It was at about 30 deg on its right side, resting precariously on the concrete/steel between lane 4 nortbound and 4 southbound.

Took me 1.5 hrs to do a journey that normally takes 25 mins this morning, and that was at 5.30am

Please cancel 2020
NNK

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:15 am

Balls - get well soon!
Deuteronomy

Post by span @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:29 am

S1K wrote:I’ve got an O2 meter and I’m at 95-96% at the moment. I’m a bit concerned because I have a tiring and physical job and I was hoping to do a lot of overtime in the run up to Christmas. I guess that might not be possible this year. It’ll just be a case of seeing how it goes I suppose.

Oh I'm sorry to hear this, S1k! I've no direct experience but from what the others have said, it does sound like maybe the overtime should wait.
span

Post by Dirk @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:47 am

Hope its a mile one and you get better soon S1K
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Yeah get well soon S1K,

I've just got back from Ibiza so am now in quarantine too. Not looking forward to it, but it was worth it for the holiday.

The second wave we are currently starting to see was 100% predictable and yet we didn't seem to do very much to avoid it. Maybe there was nothing we realistically could have done.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Firkin @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:28 pm

Get well soon S1K,

Do you know how you caught it and have they asked you who you have been in contact with?
Firkin

Post by S1K @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:06 pm

Firkin wrote:Get well soon S1K,

Do you know how you caught it and have they asked you who you have been in contact with?

I think I caught it when I did an extra shift last Saturday. Normally I don’t come into contact with other people too much at work, I just pick up a truck and go and do my own thing, but doing a different job that day I ended up sitting around in the transport office for ages and since then both me and one or possibly two other people have tested positive. I say possibly two because work don’t believe one bloke.

NHS Test and Trace phoned me on Friday and I had to go through everywhere I had visited between Sunday and Friday and tell them whether I had been within one metre of anyone for five minutes or two metres for fifteen minutes. As it happens I hadn’t at all. I’d been in and out of a few shops and walked past people but hadn’t spent any lengthy period of time with any one person in such close proximity. Still wouldn’t be surprised if more people at work come down with it though because it’s obviously in circulation in that population and the nature of the job is that we are in and out of trucks and sharing equipment with three shifts working through the day. As much as anyone can say that everything should be wiped down between use it just isn’t possible to sterilise every pump truck, forklift, lorry cab and pallet all the time.
S1K

Post by S1K @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 pm

A quick run down of how coronavirus has progressed for me.

Probably got infected Saturday 12/09

Monday 14/09 felt a bit easily fatigued while at work, didn’t think anything of it.

First real symptoms Tuesday 15/09. Muscle aches to the extent that I stopped and bought Paracetemol at lunchtime. By the evening I was aching all over even down to my fingers. Developed a bit of a fever Tuesday evening.

Wednesday 16/09 morning phoned in sick. Aching badly all over throughout the day, especially around the chest and upper back. Mild diarrhoea, headache, coughing a bit, fatigue. Very much like influenza but without nasal congestion. Started trying to get a Covid test without success. My head felt fuzzy like I couldn’t think as clearly as normal. Had a very nasty sore throat overnight like I’d been gargling broken glass.

Thursday 17/09 still aching and tired and went for the test. No fever any more and sore throat had passed. This was when I realised I’d lost my sense of taste and smell. Still very tired all the time.

Friday 18/09 aches continued but getting milder. Started to get a runny and blocked nose. Still tired. Diagnosis confirmed by NHS, spoke to Test and Trace.

Saturday 19/09 aching pretty much gone, just a blocked nose and tiredness and the anosmia.

Sunday the same.

I’m conscious of the fact that I’m now at day eight from probable infection and if I’m going to go downhill rather than make a recovery the next few days are when it will happen. This is weighing on my mind a bit but I’m pretty confident I’ll be okay. Work are being okay about paying me while I’m off sick and they’re okay with playing it by ear on my return seeing how much I can do without getting overtired and jeopardising my health further.

How long does the anosmia last? I can’t seem to find an answer to that.
S1K

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 pm

S1K wrote:How long does the anosmia last?

A couple of weeks to get it mostly back - took a lot longer for certain things, like mint.

It's only really in the last few weeks (and I had it back in March) that I've been able to enjoy the smell of fresh air.

Seems to all be okay now though.

Speaking to our ENT surgeon friend, that ^^^ doesn't seem to be all that unusual.
Deuteronomy

Post by S1K @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:12 pm

That’s a long time. I normally have a particularly acute sense of taste and smell and I do hope they return. While it’s convenient in a way to be able to eat anything without caring what it is, eating nice food is a great pleasure in life to me.
S1K

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:19 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
S1K wrote:How long does the anosmia last?

A couple of weeks to get it mostly back - took a lot longer for certain things, like mint.

It's only really in the last few weeks (and I had it back in March) that I've been able to enjoy the smell of fresh air.

Seems to all be okay now though.

Speaking to our ENT surgeon friend, that ^^^ doesn't seem to be all that unusual.

Mine is still numbed or muted - I can taste lemon juice for example and I know it’s lemon but it doesn’t taste sharp or sour, just “lemon”. Same with curry, or coke. Likewise went down March.
Käsemeister

Post by Bodhi @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:25 pm

Has anybody downloaded the NHS contact tracing app yet?

Will you do it?

If not why not?

PS Hope you're on the mend S1K
Bodhi

Post by minornut @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Bodhi wrote:Has anybody downloaded the NHS contact tracing app yet?

Will you do it?

If not why not?

Yes but I haven't left the house since as I'm recovering from an op.
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:18 pm

Bodhi wrote:Has anybody downloaded the NHS contact tracing app yet?

Will you do it?

If not why not?

I have and I'm not impressed. I can't for the life of me work out why it cost so much money and took so long. A first year programming student could have knocked the client side app together in an afternoon. Server side is probably even easier - although the hardware to cope with the traffic may be a bit on the expensive side.

As unimpressed as I am, I'll keep it installed because it can't do any harm.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:33 pm

I installed it, but also haven't left the house all week so I'm not expecting it to do anything useful
manfromdelmonte

Post by Dirk @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:01 pm

I have installed it.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Also installed. Also haven't been anywhere.
thekungfury

Post by Pigeon @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:35 pm

Aesgarth wrote:I can't for the life of me work out why it cost so much money and took so long.

Because its primary function is to keep the Tories' pals at Serco in big dinners, whatever it may be claimed to be for.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 pm

Pigeon wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:I can't for the life of me work out why it cost so much money and took so long.

Because its primary function is to keep the Tories' pals at Serco in big dinners, whatever it may be claimed to be for.
Yep. Dido Harding I charge, possibly the least qualified person in history to run such a program.
Doctor Congo

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 pm

I've had a look at the API and had a browse at a code sample provided by Google. I'd like to revise my earlier post. I could code this in an afternoon. A programming student who is on top of their game should be able to do it in an hour or 2. All the work has been done already by Google and Apple. All of it. All that needs doing is branding and making it pretty.

fcuking ludicrous waste of money.

ETA: I'm still keeping it on my phone just on the off chance it'll be of some help at all, and will be advising people I know to install it too.
Last edited by Aesgarth on Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery