The Coronavirus thread

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:39 pm

12million well spent?
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 7472
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:01 pm

Possibly. I'll answer after I find out if Serco have any app developer vacancies.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:18 pm

Aesgarth wrote:Possibly. I'll answer after I find out if Serco have any app developer vacancies.
[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

I’ll make your tea for £500k!
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 7472
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:29 pm

I've also installed it. My Mrs works for Abbot Diagnostics and they have told her not to install it on her work phone because of security issues >shrug< They are an American company though.

Like everyone else I'm not going anywhere if I can avoid it.
User avatar
Gnostic Ascent
 
Posts: 5271
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Aesgarth @ Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:53 pm

The latest revelation I've been reading (on twitter... May not be reliable) is that the app won't accept test results from NHS or public health England labs.

Gnostic Ascent wrote:I've also installed it. My Mrs works for Abbot Diagnostics and they have told her not to install it on her work phone because of security issues >shrug< They are an American company though.

Like everyone else I'm not going anywhere if I can avoid it.

I don't see what security issues there can be that aren't already there... It works by using features already built into the OS.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by deev @ Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Utter cluster fcuk in Scotland with the unis going back and hundreds of new cases every day.

Of course they couldn't tell all the students to stay at home and do online because they charge the foreigners (english too) a bloody fortune in fees so they can keep the Scottish tuition fees at zero. Johnny foreigners from China and the like ain't going to pay 40k for an online lecture course so back the students all came.

Total cluster fcuk. All this after wee Nic was smug as fcuk back at the start when we had less cases than England.
User avatar
deev
Banger King
 
Posts: 15105
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Giffnock
Highscores: 3

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:06 pm

deev wrote:Utter cluster fcuk in Scotland with the unis going back and hundreds of new cases every day.

Of course they couldn't tell all the students to stay at home and do online because they charge the foreigners (english too) a bloody fortune in fees so they can keep the Scottish tuition fees at zero. Johnny foreigners from China and the like ain't going to pay 40k for an online lecture course so back the students all came.

Total cluster fcuk. All this after wee Nic was smug as fcuk back at the start when we had less cases than England.
I think it’s pretty much the same in England though
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 7472
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by S1K @ Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:22 pm

This app thing. Do I have to isolate if I get a notification now that I’ve had Covid? Am I not immune at least for a few months?
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 8087
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Aesgarth @ Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:39 pm

S1K wrote:This app thing. Do I have to isolate if I get a notification now that I’ve had Covid? Am I not immune at least for a few months?

Is this theoretical, or have you actually received a notification? If so, wow. I'm surprised.

I don't know the answer to your question unfortunately. If you have the ability to isolate and get a test I'd suggest doing that but that's a suggestion I'm not really qualified to make. I believe immunity is a bit of an unknown at the moment.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:14 pm

There is currently sparse evidence as to whether you become immune at all, let alone for how long. Evidence is also sketchy as to people being reinfected.

Chatting with a friend yesterday (intensive care matron) and she says they are testing the long term patients on the ward for antibodies. 90% are showing no antibodies at all, despite repeated tests weeks/months after they were admitted.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 37919
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Pigeon @ Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:54 pm

I've just received an email telling me to download this thing. (I'm not going to, of course, because I don't have a phone.) The email is actually genuine, but I wonder how many people are going to automatically decide it's spam. Or how many spam filters, come to that, since it's being sent to everyone who has given an email address to their GP.
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 24619
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:45 am

Just been called by my GP surgery. Because I had cancerlite I "must" have a flu jab. They also said I should still be shielding. Still? I didn't even know I was supposed to until I got a letter in August saying I could stop shielding.

Given that they obv don't have a fvcking clue about anything, should I have the flu jab?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14199
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #vespaenginematters

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by S1K @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:19 am

Il Duce wrote:Just been called by my GP surgery. Because I had cancerlite I "must" have a flu jab. They also said I should still be shielding. Still? I didn't even know I was supposed to until I got a letter in August saying I could stop shielding.

Given that they obv don't have a fvcking clue about anything, should I have the flu jab?

Might as well. You’ll probably feel a bit ropy for a couple of days but if it stops you from getting flu that’s a good thing. If you were to get flu at the same time as COVID you could be really fcuked, given your advanced vintage and underlying health problems.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 8087
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:43 am

S1K wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Just been called by my GP surgery. Because I had cancerlite I "must" have a flu jab. They also said I should still be shielding. Still? I didn't even know I was supposed to until I got a letter in August saying I could stop shielding.

Given that they obv don't have a fvcking clue about anything, should I have the flu jab?

Might as well. You’ll probably feel a bit ropy for a couple of days but if it stops you from getting flu that’s a good thing. If you were to get flu at the same time as COVID you could be really fcuked, given your advanced vintage and underlying health problems.



What if it doesn't stop me getting the flu? Ropey days for nothing.
In Swansea terms it's like you drinking alcohol free lager (unknowingly) and still waking up with a hangover.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14199
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #vespaenginematters

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Dirk @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:28 am

Get it.
I have it every year (because of my daughter's condition).
I never really notice any after effects.
So given that it will be free, what have you got to lose unless you are scared of needles?
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32636
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:23 pm

Dirk wrote:Get it.
I have it every year (because of my daughter's condition).
I never really notice any after effects.
So given that it will be free, what have you got to lose unless you are scared of needles?


Have you ever had flu even with the jab?
No I'm not scared of needles.
What if there's something else in the jab that makes my cock even larger and more unmanageable?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14199
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #vespaenginematters

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:03 pm

I've just had a letter from my GP's surgery instructing me to make an appointment to get the flu jab, what with me being high risk for coronavirus and all.

Fcuk me the crowd control instructions go on and on. It sounds like some sort of army circus. They seem to be planning for half the town to all show up at the same time wanting it done. It would be funny after all that to show up and find there's actually nobody else there, but I'm not going to bother; I'll just get it done at the pharmacist, which is closer and there won't be anybody else there anyway.
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 24619
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Dirk @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:09 pm

I have not had the flu after the jab, no.
If your cock is unmanageable, try womanaging it instead.

As Pigeon is doing, getting it done at Pharmacy is a good idea. YOu can do it at your convenience, rather than the 1 minute slots the GPs tend to give you. And they (Boots at least) get the records from NHS that you are entitled so you still don't have to pay.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32636
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Firkin @ Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:57 am

Booked mine yesterday not that I intended too, I was on the phone trying to sort out a repeat prescription but the receptionist insisted she book me in.

She also insisted that I create an online Patent Access so I could then order further prescriptions through the app. So I did but then I was looking around it and made the mistake of looking in the patient history bit. Despite knowing my mobility is decreasing it was rather sobering to ready 'Diagnosis fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' there in black and white :cry:
User avatar
Firkin
 
Posts: 7467
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Dirk @ Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:18 am

Aesgarth wrote:I've had a look at the API and had a browse at a code sample provided by Google. I'd like to revise my earlier post. I could code this in an afternoon. A programming student who is on top of their game should be able to do it in an hour or 2. All the work has been done already by Google and Apple. All of it. All that needs doing is branding and making it pretty.

fcuking ludicrous waste of money.

This researcher disagrees with you.
https://www.facebook.com/david.g.bonsall/posts/10101394116288805

And I must say that I do too. The coding may be simple (best that it is), but the information assurance and testing effort on something like this is likely to be much more significant and time consuming. As will be setting up other support stuff around it.
And it appears they have fixed the issue that didn't allow people to report test results.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32636
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:53 am

Dirk wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:I've had a look at the API and had a browse at a code sample provided by Google. I'd like to revise my earlier post. I could code this in an afternoon. A programming student who is on top of their game should be able to do it in an hour or 2. All the work has been done already by Google and Apple. All of it. All that needs doing is branding and making it pretty.

fcuking ludicrous waste of money.

This researcher disagrees with you.
https://www.facebook.com/david.g.bonsall/posts/10101394116288805

And I must say that I do too. The coding may be simple (best that it is), but the information assurance and testing effort on something like this is likely to be much more significant and time consuming. As will be setting up other support stuff around it.
And it appears they have fixed the issue that didn't allow people to report test results.


Where does that researcher disagree with me? I don't see anywhere that it says the app is good value.

I don't think the app is a bad idea, or that the simple implementation is a bad thing. I think the cost is fcuking ridiculous, and that it could have been done for a lot less money.

There is no information assurance issue - there's no information to cause an issue. Testing? Yeah OK. Doesn't remotely justify the cost.

By comparison, pokemon go, which is a much more complicated app, with a much bigger user base, has an estimated development cost of under £600k. This is coming in at nearly 60 times that.

I agree they appear to have fixed the test result issue. Shouldn't have been an issue in the first place though.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Dirk @ Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:41 am

Not directly on cost, but
Why has it taken so long?
- It was hard. We tested it, made it better, tested it again, made it better, now it’s ready. And we helped Google develop their system. And we beat most states in America


And there is an information assurance issue. That App will have had to go via IA approvals.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32636
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Dirk @ Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:48 am

Actually re-read your post.
I agree with you that the price is much too high, I don't agree that it is as simple as you assert

Apologies
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32636
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:22 pm

IA approvals should be a none-issue though, since there is no actual information to worry about.

I'll concede that there's more to it than just the app and therefore it is more complicated than I'm suggesting but in terms of actually coding the app, I'm not simplifying much. I'm actually going to try to chuck something together when I have a couple of hours free.

I've had a look at the open source release for the actual android app (I'm not familiar with coding for i devices so won't pass comments on that) and there really is very little to it.

I read the bit about why it took so long and I'm unconvinced.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Dirk @ Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Aesgarth wrote: but in terms of actually coding the app, I'm not simplifying much. I'm actually going to try to chuck something together when I have a couple of hours free.

I wouldn't bother, I am not disagreeing with you on that.

I think it is all the other stuff.

IA approval doesn't only cover the stuff you mean to share remember, but also demonstrating that nothing else can be 'leaked'
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32636
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:09 pm

Dirk wrote:
Aesgarth wrote: but in terms of actually coding the app, I'm not simplifying much. I'm actually going to try to chuck something together when I have a couple of hours free.

I wouldn't bother, I am not disagreeing with you on that.

I think it is all the other stuff.

IA approval doesn't only cover the stuff you mean to share remember, but also demonstrating that nothing else can be 'leaked'


I wasn't planning on doing it just for this thread... It's something I was considering doing anyway. It was one of the possibilities for the make something this September thread that I didn't get round to. Intended more as an exercise in coding than anything else.

I take your point about information leaks but there is no information to leak from the app itself. Just a randomly generated ID that isn't identifiable and changes every 10-20 minutes in the case of the Google API. Even if there's an association with a positive test and/or a list of possible contacts, none of that information is sensitive because it's anonymous.

As a vaguely related aside I'd be quite interested to see how many people the app thinks I've been in contact with since I installed it. I'm going to have a closer look at the code when I'm on a computer and see if I can find that out.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by S1K @ Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:58 pm

I’m taking part in an Office of National Statistics study on coronavirus. They’ll be coming to my house every week for the next month then every month for a year to do swab tests. Just had the first visit today. I’ll also be signing up to give blood for antibodies. It feels like the right thing to do if I can help.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 8087
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Strawman @ Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:09 pm

Good on you S1k, I hope they develop a vaccine quick enough that I don't catch it, they probably won't manage to but any data gleaned from volunteers like yourself helps in all kinds of ways.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 41320
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: European Corvus corax

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:10 pm

S1K wrote:I’m taking part in an Office of National Statistics study on coronavirus. They’ll be coming to my house every week for the next month then every month for a year to do swab tests. Just had the first visit today. I’ll also be signing up to give blood for antibodies. It feels like the right thing to do if I can help.


Like.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 4124
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by Dr Wolff @ Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Covid app installed, but actually I think I shall probably disable it. I've had the virus (antibodies to prove it) and can't see how isolating myself because someone was in Costa coffee at the same time as me will help. I'd rather keep working, WFH is officially grim. The public has forgotten the last 6 months and since Hand-on-cock said the NHS is open and running normally, all we've had is abuse because you can't get a face to face appointment to discuss your piles
User avatar
Dr Wolff
 
Posts: 3067
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:10 pm
Location: Chained to desk

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles