The Coronavirus thread

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: The Coronavirus thread

Post by S1K @ Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:33 pm

I’ll just send you some photos of the ‘roids by PM Dr Wolff.
S1K

Post by Dr Wolff @ Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:50 pm

S1K wrote:I’ll just send you some photos of the ‘roids by PM Dr Wolff.
I'd enjoy explaining having those pics on my work PC
Dr Wolff

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:56 pm

Dr Wolff wrote: abuse because you can't get a face to face appointment to discuss your piles

Other end. Surely they taught you that in doctor school?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:12 pm

Dr Wolff wrote: Hand-on-cock

Sadiq Khan did a Jeremy cnut the other day and referred to him as Mancock on the radio.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:16 pm

About the GP appointments, I’m finding the exact opposite. My surgery is still only doing phone appointments, but I’ve actually been able to get referrals and prescriptions for things I’ve previously been totally unable to get any traction on in face to face appointments.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Aesgarth @ Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:02 am

I've just had an app notification to say someone I've been near has reported having covid. I didn't expand the notification to see the full content, and clicked it to open the app instead.

No further information about where or when I was near this person. No access to what was in the notification. No suggestion of what I do about it. Absolutely nothing. Just the app content exactly as it was before...

This is not useful at all.

Eta: googling gets me to this:
Automated messages from Android/Google
No action is required if your NHS COVID-19 app is not asking you to self-isolate.

The message will read “Possible COVID-19 exposure. Someone you were near reported having COVID-19. Exposure date, duration, and signal strength have been saved.”
Last edited by Aesgarth on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Dirk @ Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:49 am

There is a report on BBC about it. Fault in the underlying bought in app. It means that you were near someone but not enough to warrant alert, so it shouldn't have alerted you
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by minimoog @ Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:31 am

Pigeon wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:I can't for the life of me work out why it cost so much money and took so long.

Because its primary function is to keep the Tories' pals at Serco in big dinners, whatever it may be claimed to be for.

Specifically in repsect of the app cost it appears not, according to this.
minimoog

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:49 am

Dirk wrote:There is a report on BBC about it. Fault in the underlying bought in app. It means that you were near someone but not enough to warrant alert, so it shouldn't have alerted you

There is no "bought in app". It would seem there's an attempt to blame the apple Google API but since it isn't happening to everyone (with respect to different apps, not different users of this app) that argument doesn't really hold water. The notifications come from the NHS Covid 19 app. That means that the app is listening for notifications from the API but not processing them all correctly.

This should have been picked up in testing and fixed. If they can't stop the app from displaying the message (other people can) then the app itself should have an explanation when you open it by clicking the notification.

Why has it taken so long?
- It was hard. We tested it, made it better, tested it again, made it better, now it’s ready. And we helped Google develop their system. And we beat most states in America

Makes a lot of this statement look like bollocks.

I do absolutely agree with you that it shouldn't have alerted me. I've had 2 more the same since, and now I know what's going on I don't really care about the notification appearing, though it does annoy me from a shoddy coding perspective. The first one caused a minor panic though.

It's a shit, expensive, app that should be better. I'm still going to keep using it though.
Aesgarth

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 am

thekungfury

Post by Dirk @ Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:15 am

Very interesting Teeks. Certainly explains a lot
Dirk

Post by Dirk @ Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:15 am

Double post
Last edited by Dirk on Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dirk

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:37 am

Dirk wrote:Very interesting Teeks. Certainly explains a lot

Definitely interesting.
Aesgarth

Post by S1K @ Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:21 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54423988

The badly thought-out use of Microsoft's Excel software was the reason nearly 16,000 coronavirus cases went unreported in England.
And it appears that Public Health England (PHE) was to blame, rather than a third-party contractor.

They used an old type of file format which couldn’t hold enough lines of data.
Last edited by S1K on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S1K

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:56 pm

S1K wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54423988

The badly thought-out use of Microsoft's Excel software was the reason nearly 16,000 coronavirus cases went unreported in England.
And it appears that Public Health England (PHE) was to blame, rather than a third-party contractor.

They used an old type of file format which couldn’t hold enough lines of data.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the version I heard, which was that they'd used case per column instead of case per row.
Aesgarth

Post by stuart @ Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:16 pm

S1K wrote:They used an old type of file format which couldn’t hold enough lines of data.

No, the issue was they used Excel. WTAF.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Should have used MSPaint
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:44 pm

stuart wrote:
S1K wrote:They used an old type of file format which couldn’t hold enough lines of data.

No, the issue was they used Excel. WTAF.

Unbelievable! What the fick is wrong with Lotus 123?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by minornut @ Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 pm

As a household we have been asked to take part in the ONS COVID-19 Infection Survey

Weekly tests for 4 weeks followed up by 11 months of monthly tests.
minornut

Post by S1K @ Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:13 pm

minornut wrote:As a household we have been asked to take part in the ONS COVID-19 Infection Survey

I’m doing that too. Had the first one on Monday. It’s exactly the same as the swab test you do at the drive through test centre except they come to your front door. Not a bad little earner at £50 for the first test then £25 thereafter.

I told them I’ve already had Covid but they still wanted me to do it. The unspoken assumption here must be that they think it’s possible that I’ll get reinfected.
S1K

Post by minornut @ Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:59 am

S1K wrote:
minornut wrote:As a household we have been asked to take part in the ONS COVID-19 Infection Survey

I’m doing that too. Had the first one on Monday. It’s exactly the same as the swab test you do at the drive through test centre except they come to your front door. Not a bad little earner at £50 for the first test then £25 thereafter.

I told them I’ve already had Covid but they still wanted me to do it. The unspoken assumption here must be that they think it’s possible that I’ll get reinfected.

Is the voucher per household or per person? Must admit the compensation is what swung the decision to join in.
minornut

Post by Dirk @ Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:15 am

S1K wrote: The unspoken assumption here must be that they think it’s possible that I’ll get reinfected.

I suspect actually that there is no such assumption but that they are trying to find out what the possibility is.
As far as I can tell the evidence for re-infection is equivocal or even contradictory because the few cases where there appeared to be re-infection might have been down to remnants of the virus being found or other issues.
Dirk

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:29 pm

S1K wrote:I told them I’ve already had Covid but they still wanted me to do it. The unspoken assumption here must be that they think it’s possible that I’ll get reinfected.

The one in 3wks time will taste a little different in your throat. Nothing to worry about and definitely not containing a large dose of the virus.
thekungfury

Post by S1K @ Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:18 pm

I had a phone call from a rather excited lady from the ONS today telling me that I’d tested positive for Covid last Saturday and that I had to self isolate for ten days. A lot of use a phone call six days later would be if the test last Saturday had been my first Covid test. As it is I don’t need to self isolate because I’ve already done so and it is to be expected that I’d test positive for between four and eight weeks following my first positive test. She didn’t seem to be able to grasp any of this and apparently I’m now going to have a nurse come to my house in full PPE to take my blood.
S1K

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:39 pm

A couple of months ago I signed up to be a plasma donor for cv-19. Then things got in the way and I had to cancel an appointment and re-sign up. It’s quite dispiriting to see how slowly the NHS side of this works but they are probably at least as dispirited at me being a feckless dick.

But.

I will get an antibody test to see whether I have plasma worth harvesting. And as I had it in March/April, that will - I hope - give some indication as to whether antibodies stick around.
Greg66

Post by S1K @ Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:45 pm

That will be interesting to learn.
S1K

Post by S1K @ Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:24 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54512034

A man in the United States has caught Covid twice, with the second infection becoming far more dangerous than the first, doctors report.
The 25-year-old needed hospital treatment after his lungs could not get enough oxygen into his body.
Scientists say the patient caught coronavirus twice, rather than the original infection becoming dormant and then bouncing back. A comparison of the genetic codes of the virus taken during each bout of symptoms showed they were too distinct to be caused by the same infection.

Worrying
S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:07 am

S1K wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54512034

A man in the United States has caught Covid twice, with the second infection becoming far more dangerous than the first, doctors report.
The 25-year-old needed hospital treatment after his lungs could not get enough oxygen into his body.
Scientists say the patient caught coronavirus twice, rather than the original infection becoming dormant and then bouncing back. A comparison of the genetic codes of the virus taken during each bout of symptoms showed they were too distinct to be caused by the same infection.

Worrying

Look on the bright side, Trump might get it again and it could be worse.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:13 am

Il Duce wrote:

Worrying

Look on the bright side, Trump might get it again and it could be worse.
He may never have had it of course. An attempt to get sympathy amongst his rotten supporters and show how heroic he is to beat the virus he never had?

Tinfoil hat on.

More likely he has it and is being given dexamethasone ongoing against his doctors orders.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Worrying

If they are too distinct to be the same infection, does that mean that they are too distinct for the anti-bodies to be much use, and hence why he caught it again?
And if so does that mean it is mutating so much that a virus for one wouldn't protect against the other?
Any views Dr C?

Then of course is the question as to whether it will continue mutating like that, and if so will it become less severe?
Dirk

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery