The cycling thread

All the other energetic stuff

Re: The cycling thread

Post by Strawman @ Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Strawman

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:50 am

Strawman wrote:Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT3vfSQePcs

Maybe I need one of those self balancing backpacks for when I get back on my mountain bike?
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Baby Huey @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:15 am

It's Leave your car at home day in London.

Local DJ Jo Good just said could we not also have a Leave your bike at home day.
Baby Huey

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Baby Huey wrote:It's Leave your car at home day in London.

Local DJ Jo Good just said could we not also have a Leave your bike at home day.

It’s World leave your car at home day. It’s made fcuk all difference round here. In fact there are more Moton / Carzis out, owing to the sh1t weather.
Last edited by Darthdeathdealer on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:49 pm

ages ago Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Went out earlier to Swinley trails with a friend, me on the CX, him on one of his MTB. Half way round we swapped bikes and it was a huge mistake. A MTB bike, unsurprisingly, so much more suited to riding off road.

On paths/bridleways/fire roads mine is nice to ride and zips along brilliantly but on anything with any kind of bump/rock/hole/root it’s exhausting. Riding with him might just have cost me thousands sadface.

Ride a full susser and you’ll like it even more I suspect.

K'sake. I went over with him again this afternoon. We took his hardtail and full susser and swapped round a few times. I now need a full suspension MTB. Sigh
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Pedalverts, what’s going on here?

Brakes on the front, gears on the rear of the drops??!!
Käsemeister

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Cyclocross style.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Ghost @ Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:16 am

That's a touring bike isn't it?
Ghost

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:27 pm

I have no idea which is why I was asking you!
Käsemeister

Post by Ghost @ Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Smirk.
Ghost

Post by S1K @ Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:44 pm

The bike frame has eyelets for the mudguards which is usually a sign that it's a tourer.

There's a page here explaining why some touring bike makers spec bar-end shifters. tl/dr they're simpler and less likely to go wrong in the middle of nowhere.

http://biketouringnews.com/touring-bicycles/surly-bikes/in-defense-of-bar-end-shifters/
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:38 am

Transgender cyclist wins track world title

I'm generally a liberal so-and-so that goes by a live-and-let-live mantra, buuuuuuuut...

thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Is it the one on the left or in the middle?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:20 pm

thekungfury wrote:Transgender cyclist wins track world title

I'm generally a liberal so-and-so that goes by a live-and-let-live mantra, buuuuuuuut...

In my cycling club there was once a female member who could do a world class marathon and was world class at cycling. She would keep up with the club fast boys but would struggle to drop them unless there was a big climb in the way. Female muscles are physically weaker. This isn't to say that women cannot be bricklayers of any other such thing only that in athletic competition against men they are at a physical disadvantage due to gender.

Now like TKF I am a live and let live kinda guy. But in this instance it is quite simply wrong.

You cannot compete as a female athlete if you have androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS). Which means you are genetically XY but your body doesn't respond to testosterone and so you physically develop as female apart from the ability to produce eggs (because you still have testes) and have a womb. But other than that you look completely like a woman. However, you do have male levels of testosterone due to the testes. This disbars you from female competition and in the early days of dope testing some unfortunate women found out they were AIS through the dope testing program.

Now transgender women have been men. They have responded to testosterone and as such their musculature is basically male. Even if you have had your bollocks whipped off you have still benefited from your early life exposure to testosterone. You are physically stronger and, with all due respect to the middle she in the photo, you have a male build.

How is it fair to be transgender and compete in a female competition FFS!? It quite simply isn't fair.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Her defence is that she’s lost loads of other races in women’s cycling. Yeah, that’s because you’re a big lump and not a cycling build, love.

Track sprint is different though and outright power trumps power:weight ratios.
thekungfury

Post by stuart @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:47 pm

There was a transgender mma fighter. Male to female.

Which is basically just a guy beating the shit out of women.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by deev @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:53 pm

stuart wrote:There was a transgender mma fighter. Male to female.

Which is basically just a guy beating the shit out of women.

Fallon Fox, she/he got KO'd by a girl at one point to which was great. Fox didnt let on that she was born a guy either and just went around beating up ladies.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:59 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I hugely disapprove of men identifying as women being allowed to compete in sports as women. I doubt the actual, real life women, either side of him felt particularly pleased for his win.

I have a lot of problems with self-ID and trans activism anyway, but this takes the fcuking biscuit.

It's absurd and clearly cheating, they can do what they want with drugs to weaken the guys muscles but they'll still have a superior skeletal design for doing sport amongst other things. But frankly that's the least of the problems with these people and their activism. The lack of protection given to women only safe spaces, basically toilets, from any bloke deciding that they're now a woman and being able to wander into the girls toilets is just bang wrong.

Womens sport is a construct to allow women to compete against one another in a meaningful way. I'd change the rules to make womens sport for genetic females and do away with the male category altogether and declare it "open". I'm sorry if that's upset some people who then can't compete against women who they'd beat but nobody has a divine right to win at any sport.

If the drugs were so amazing at balancing out gender differences then why haven't we seen any female HW boxers calling out Anthony Joshua etc?

Male to female transgender activism and entitlement is just patriarchal behaviour. If they were really women I'd wager they'd care more about their "sisters" rights to compete fairly and more importantly, feel safe in places like toilets, which they very often don't because of the behaviour of lots and lots of arsehole men over the years.

I don't dislike transgender people, it must be very hard for them, but this insistence on their rights over ruling those of the (generally speaking) physically weakest members of our society isn't right and needs adressed without hysterical screeching and "transphobia" by the likes of this entitled pillock.
Last edited by deev on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deev
Banger King

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Pigeon @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:00 pm

deev wrote:The lack of protection given to women only safe spaces, basically toilets, from any bloke deciding that they're now a woman and being able to wander into the girls toilets is just bang wrong.

There never has been any "protection" against that. There's never been anything to stop some perv dressing up as a woman and going into the women's bogs (apart from the disguise most likely making them look more conspicuous outside the bogs so they'd probably be more likely to get caught). And nobody is trying to make it easier. The implication that any random bloke is going to be able to say "I'm a woman this afternoon" and so go on a perving expedition with impunity is preposterous when you actually examine it, and the objection is on a level with arguing that to prevent peedling it's necessary to keep gays away from children.

What is being argued for is a recognition that it's just as out of order for trans people to get beaten up for using the "wrong" bogs as it is for people to get perved on in the bogs, especially since it is the former which is statistically more likely to happen.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by deev @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Pigeon wrote:
deev wrote:The lack of protection given to women only safe spaces, basically toilets, from any bloke deciding that they're now a woman and being able to wander into the girls toilets is just bang wrong.

There never has been any "protection" against that. There's never been anything to stop some perv dressing up as a woman and going into the women's bogs (apart from the disguise most likely making them look more conspicuous outside the bogs so they'd probably be more likely to get caught). And nobody is trying to make it easier. The implication that any random bloke is going to be able to say "I'm a woman this afternoon" and so go on a perving expedition with impunity is preposterous when you actually examine it, and the objection is on a level with arguing that to prevent peedling it's necessary to keep gays away from children.

What is being argued for is a recognition that it's just as out of order for trans people to get beaten up for using the "wrong" bogs as it is for people to get perved on in the bogs, especially since it is the former which is statistically more likely to happen.

There was a case last week where a male rapist decided that, actually, he was new a woman. So he got sent to a female jail. Where he raped some lady prisoners.

So no, your conjecture that the system as it currently is isn't open to abuse by men is demonstrably incorrect.

Women deserve safe spaces as frankly, a lot of men are scum and will exploit loopholes. It's a shame but we can't allow their safety to be potentially overriden to appease a very small minority of people with a medical problem. The problem here is fundamentally that men cannot be trusted and that isn't women's fault and they shouldn't have to be the ones making concessions really.
deev
Banger King

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:24 am

The Deevlash Razor in full effect
thekungfury

Post by deev @ Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:07 am

thekungfury wrote:The Deevlash Razor in full effect

Don't really care what you think frankly.
Last edited by deev on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
deev
Banger King

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:04 pm

deev wrote:

I thought TKF was being supportive TBH. I think your analysis is spot on and I like the female only competition idea with the rest being open.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by deev @ Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:55 pm

Gnostic Ascent wrote:
deev wrote:

I thought TKF was being supportive TBH. I think your analysis is spot on and I like the female only competition idea with the rest being open.

I vvery much doubt he was, he was trying to imply that I'm always wrong. In he end Ocams razor says that a simple explanation for a situation is usually correct, this situation is far from being simple however and offers a chance of harm coming to women by he removal of their "safe" spaces. He was just trying to be a smart arse as usual instead of adding anything of note to what is a serious issue.

Anyway back to cycling and this trans lady was on the radio this morning and came across as incredibly pushy, arrogant and inflexible. Much like a stereotypical man really.
deev
Banger King

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:24 pm

If it’s a cock in a frock, it doesn’t ride in women’s races. It’s not a difficult concept.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Darthdeathdealer wrote:If it’s a cock in a frock, it doesn’t ride in women’s races. It’s not a difficult concept.

Pillock
manfromdelmonte

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Darthdeathdealer wrote:If it’s a cock in a frock, it doesn’t ride in women’s races. It’s not a difficult concept.

What if it’s a cock dressed in its mother’s frock whilst wanking? For the avoidance of doubt, that’s you.
Tokyo Sexwale

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports