The cycling thread

All the other energetic stuff

Re: The cycling thread

Post by Strawman @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:32 pm

Sport is a contentious area for Trans rights, and I don't have any stunning new insights to offer, but generally the whole media spotlight on Trans rights is often used as means to attack a very small minority under the guise of supporting feminism, witness the recent fall from grace of Graham LInehan. Trans people statistically are the least likely to attack anyone. Very few toilets have any checks on who uses them anyway so that is a glaringly bogus argument. I don't really care but that is a precis of boring debates I've read recently.
Strawman

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:03 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Darthdeathdealer wrote:If it’s a cock in a frock, it doesn’t ride in women’s races. It’s not a difficult concept.

What if it’s a cock dressed in its mother’s frock whilst wanking? For the avoidance of doubt, that’s you.

:lol:
Darthdeathdealer

Post by deev @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:20 pm

The sport thing, the do have drugs that lower testosterone to supposedly female levels, there is still a large amount of debate about whether that equivalencey is accurate or can indeed ever be given that the effects of performance enhancing drugs can be lifelong even after stopping taking them, which, for a trans woman, having testosterone from puberty may not be able to be adequately or fairly reduced. None of the drugs will alter skeletons either and female hips are designed to accommodate a baby and are not as efficient for sport as a man's hips. For that reason alone it isn't fair for trans women to compete with generic women.

That's also the reason I believe Caster Semenya shouldn't be allowed to compete against ladies either but that's another debate and a very different one.

As clown says the trans lobbies utter disregard for ladies rights in order to promote their own isn't right.

Nobody is arguing that trans women don't deserve rights and equality but there must be recognition that what they propose puts women in danger. Because of mens behaviour and there must be recognition of that fact. The toilet issue is just one area, as clown says his affects many other areas, hospital wards etc etc.

The fact any lady daring to question this is called transphobic is effectively an ad hominem attack to deflect from the issue and force through their agenda which is just wrong.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Strawman @ Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:52 am

deev wrote:The sport thing, the do have drugs that lower testosterone to supposedly female levels, there is still a large amount of debate about whether that equivalencey is accurate or can indeed ever be given that the effects of performance enhancing drugs can be lifelong even after stopping taking them, which, for a trans woman, having testosterone from puberty may not be able to be adequately or fairly reduced. None of the drugs will alter skeletons either and female hips are designed to accommodate a baby and are not as efficient for sport as a man's hips. For that reason alone it isn't fair for trans women to compete with generic women.

That's also the reason I believe Caster Semenya shouldn't be allowed to compete against ladies either but that's another debate and a very different one.

No-one is really arguing against this but I think you should have left it at that, sports is a somewhat separate arena and are subject to the rules of whatever governing body they subscribe to be it FIFA or the IOC or whatever. When you try and widen the debate in a cycling thread into a discussion of human rights in society it starts to look like an us versus them debate. It is not something that I have devoted a lot of thought to but the suicide rate amongst trans youth is very high and that is partly linked to the amount of discrimination they experience. This is why some people advocate changes in society.
Strawman

Post by deev @ Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:01 am

That suicide rate is a huge issue. Sadly so is the murder rate of genetic females by males.
deev
Banger King

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Caster Semenya is a very different situation. She fulfils the criteria of what any sane individual would say applies to a woman, and has done since birth. She is one of a vanishingly rare number of genetically ambiguous individuals, who neither asked for, or influenced their make up. It’s not her fault, but it’s definitely proving to be an advantage, and fair play to that, good luck to her. Rogers with no todgers, are a different problem, and they should not be allowed to compete in women’s sports. The rule should be, any rapey cocks, or anything that needs to be tucked away, and you can’t race with chicks. If you don’t like it, go and tell someone who gives a shit, good luck finding anyone.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by deev @ Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:07 pm

I feel sorry for caster, but womans sport is a construct to allow ladies, who are essentially people without testosterone in any meaningful level, to be able to compete with one another. Very much like weight categories in combat sports limit who can compete against who.

I don't think it's nice what happened to Caster but I do think that her condition means that she should be excluded or have her test levels reduced at the very least otherwise it essentially reduces female sport to an inclusivity event where we all go "Aww isn't that nice, the ladies get a wee shot at running too, doesn't matter who wins though, that's not important". It has been suggested that Caster being allowed in is leading to less scrupulous nations trying to find people with her condition and priorirising their development in sport over "nornal" women as there's more likelihood of them winning. Which is detrimental to woman's sport.

Ideally we'd have different categories for women, men, transgenders etc etc, I also see no reason why the paralympics need be limited to people with disabilities, Caster could compete there against other people with her condition on a fair playing field. It may even promote inclusivity.
deev
Banger King

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:00 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:03 pm

It’s not fair on them to lump them in with the men. It’s not fair on women to lump them in with them.

Introduce a trans women competition and let them go up against each other.

Problem solved.

Next !
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Dirk @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:18 am

Strawman wrote:Sport is a contentious area for Trans rights, and I don't have any stunning new insights to offer, but generally the whole media spotlight on Trans rights is often used as means to attack a very small minority under the guise of supporting feminism, witness the recent fall from grace of Graham LInehan. Trans people statistically are the least likely to attack anyone. Very few toilets have any checks on who uses them anyway so that is a glaringly bogus argument. I don't really care but that is a precis of boring debates I've read recently.

I'd agree with that, however there is still a concern that some non-Trans will claim to be in order to avoid prosecution or otherwise to permit them being sex-pests.

Case A
Man who is sex pest (say a flasher or lecher) starts going to sports club women's changing rooms and exposing himself. He is thrown out and if he keeps trying could be banned and/or prosecuted

Case B
Same Man does the same but when approached claims to identify as a woman. Club cannot do anything about it for fear of breaching sex discrimination legislation.

Will the solution be that all public toilets and changing rooms have to be unisex with cubicles? Possibly, quite an upheaval. IN the meantime, whose rights take precedence: those of the women to be allowed to change in a location without someone standing there with his cock out leching at them? Or the rights of the Trans do do the same?

I agree it won't happen in many cases, but it will happen.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:24 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Darthdeathdealer wrote:If it’s a cock in a frock, it doesn’t ride in women’s races. It’s not a difficult concept.

What if it’s a cock dressed in its mother’s frock whilst wanking? For the avoidance of doubt, that’s you.

Laugh!
Deuteronomy

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:28 am

It's not difficult. Cock - use the gents. Fanny - use the ladies.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:28 am

The spawn (5 and 7) managed a 10 mile forest trail yesterday, in a smidge under 2 hours - chuffed to bits with them!
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:37 am

Deuteronomy wrote:The spawn (5 and 7) managed a 10 mile forest trail yesterday, in a smidge under 2 hours - chuffed to bits with them!

Very cool.

My daughter had a new bike for her birthday and she's a bit scared of riding it. We measured her and she's just inside the 26'' range so compared to her old one it's huge and heavy so she's finding it a bit daunting. We went out on Saturday for a short 2 miler and she fussed the whole way round.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:54 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:In probably everything I've ever done, lessons trump new equipment in terms of bang for buck improvement at a ratio of at least 10 to 1. But nobody seems to care.

The biggest improvement caused by new equipment is that it increases motivation. As that doesn't seem to be a problem for you, you're probably better off with some lessons. But you will buy a new bike.

I'm too busy for lessons!

Have given the Blur a full service including the bastard pivot bearings which took an age to get out! Dropper is on but I've not had a chance to take it out on the trails one last time to confirm I don't want a 26er anymore.

I've taken a Camber 29er out a few times and enjoyed that, but there's something not quite right about the fit. I tested an Epic but that just felt like a more modern version of the Blur. Had a quick spin on a Mondraker Foxy R 27.5 this morning and that felt pretty chuckable, but I've just noticed there's a Tallboy CC not far from work that's set up for 27.5+ it's a bit yellow and double my initial budget but I do like Santa Cruz.

My wife seems to have resigned herself to the dual facts that I'm buying another bike and it's likely to be well over budget and as such wants to be as involved in the process as I am, we stopped at the local Specialized dealer to look at what they had and before I knew it she was pushing me towards a Stumpjumper Carbon Comp, I think the purple flip flop paint was most of the reason...

I feel a purchase is imminent, but I'm vaccilating between 27.5 over 29, I like the rollover & speed of the 29's but they don't seem to handle tight turns as well as the smaller rims. The Tallboy CC (which isn't new and is still advertised at S$700 over the re-revised budget) could be perfect with the extra weight of the plus size tyres (slightly) offset by some fancy carbon rims.

Indecisive, I'm going to look at a nicely modded Enduro tonight just to add to my confusion.
HappyGoLucky

Post by nakedninja @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:43 pm

Just caught up with this thread from page 170, go ahead and judge me.
Moley was excellently savage at points.
Last edited by nakedninja on Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nakedninja

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:06 pm

I’ve just got back from a well lush ride. Every time I think about selling this and getting a MTB I have a ride on it and am smitten again.

thekungfury

Post by nakedninja @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:20 pm

How much did you spend to build it in the end?
nakedninja

Post by Strawman @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:45 pm

nakedninja wrote: go ahead and judge me.

>judges harshly<
Strawman

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 pm

nakedninja wrote:How much did you spend to build it in the end?

£1500ish. Roughly £500 each for the frame/wheels+tyres/everything else.

I did enjoy the experience and it’s a nice feeling to ride something you made but it was a huge hassle that took ages and didn’t really save me any money. I don’t think I’d bother again.
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:02 pm

thekungfury wrote:
I did enjoy the experience and it’s a nice feeling to ride something you made but it was a huge hassle that took ages and didn’t really save me any money. I don’t think I’d bother again.

:D A good honest reflection.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:14 am

thekungfury wrote:I’ve just got back from a well lush ride. Every time I think about selling this and getting a MTB I have a ride on it and am smitten again.

Something in very similar colours went barrelling past me on the trails on Sunday. He was on a trail that links some of the actual loops, pretty compacted wet mud - but not as smooth uncluttered as in your pic - and he was flying!

Didn't see him again so don't know if he was just cutting through or not. Massive balls if he was taking it on the other loops though.
HappyGoLucky

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:28 am

thekungfury wrote:
nakedninja wrote:How much did you spend to build it in the end?

£1500ish. Roughly £500 each for the frame/wheels+tyres/everything else.

That's a surprise. I love pulling all the bits together and building it. Having said that I have never done anything with disc brakes so they may be an enormous pain in the arse.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:32 am

Gnostic Ascent wrote: Having said that I have never done anything with disc brakes so they may be an enormous pain in the arse.

They aren't. I'm not especially familiar with road bike rim brakes - having not set any up since about 1995 - but discs are easier to set up than all variations of mtb and bmx rim brakes IME, and require less maintenance.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:39 am

I’m not 100% convinced by discs, at least not for this type of semi-off-road bike.

It took me absolutely ages to set them up and even then they had very little bite. It took 3 different mechanics to get them adjusted properly. The riding I’m doing, especially the terrain I’m on, means they wear down much quicker and need a tweak every other ride to sort them out. Crap gets stuck between pad/disc so you get a grinding sound for most of a ride.

In the wet yesterday they were a joke. Vastly reduced bite giving no confidence and noisy as fcuk. They were like an airhorn which was embarrassing when I was approaching dog walkers and horse riders.

I’ve got some disc cleaning spray that sorts out the sound but that’s not much use when you’re out and about.

I’ve ridden MTB with hydraulic discs (mine are mechanical) that seem fine so maybe it’s just mine.
thekungfury

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:57 pm

My MTB has hydraulic discs and they are outstanding, amazing bite and progression, I'm genuinely impressed each time I ride it, especially if I've been out on the shitty old commuter POS.
Deuteronomy

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 am

thekungfury wrote:
I’ve ridden MTB with hydraulic discs (mine are mechanical) that seem fine so maybe it’s just mine.

I think you've nailed the problem, I had hydraulics on my hybrid and have them on both MTB's and my gravel bike and they are all varying degrees of phenomenal compared to anything else I've ridden, particularly in wet or muddy conditions.

The sintered pads on my Hope ones are noisy when wet but still grip like a grippy thing. The 105's on the gravel bike and the XTR's on the Foxy are sublime.
HappyGoLucky

Post by Blue Meanie @ Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:04 am

Took up cycling late last year after 22 years off the saddle. Managed to accrue over 1400km in 3 months which I was quite happy with. I was using my 22 year old Halfords special, which did the job, but over here was easier to just buy a cheap 2nd hand MTB than replace gubbins, (which would have been sooner rather than later).

Quite lucky as it's pretty hill here, so you have no choice but to go up the buggers. Very few flat routes that are interesting. The roads are mostly shoddy as hell between the villages.

The plan for this year is to do some short 2 or 3 night 'touring' trips and take back any fitness that was stolen by Santa Claus.

Looking forward to getting some decent distance under my belt this year, at least 5000km.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Blue Meanie

Location: New York State - Kazakhstan - Nigeria - Poland - Middle east, and now Bulgaria!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:29 am

Where are you BM?
Tokyo Sexwale

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports