Some Brexit

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Re: Some Brexit

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 pm

thekungfury wrote:That’s a horrid read. So much tunnel vision. We’re leaping off this cliff even if there are rocks at the bottom.

It feels like everyone (baring a few sensible souls) ha joined a cult. When you hear people and politicians talk about Brexit on the radio I swear their voices change. They seem to go up in key and have a weird 'edge' to them, as if the words are being fed straight to their mouths without any input from their brains.
ttwiggy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:42 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:That’s a horrid read. So much tunnel vision. We’re leaping off this cliff even if there are rocks at the bottom.

It feels like everyone (baring a few sensible souls) ha joined a cult. When you hear people and politicians talk about Brexit on the radio I swear their voices change. They seem to go up in key and have a weird 'edge' to them, as if the words are being fed straight to their mouths without any input from their brains.

I know exactly what you mean - yet they still can't articulate why Brexit is a good thing.

Honestly, I really want to be persuaded, I'm sick of feeling like the only sane one - I plead with Brexiteers to convince me, but it's utterly pointless.
Deuteronomy

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:01 pm

I don't think its that surprising (not saying I agree though)

If you asked f us - would you accept a significant economic impact in return for keeping free speech, democracy etc. A lot of us would say yes I suspect

To many Brexiteers that is the question they think they are answering
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by span @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Agreed, it's properly tribal. I read this morning that gove is trying to rule out Rory Stewart by asking his colleagues to ensure that both final candidates "Believe in Brexit" - not mentioning him by name but the implication is that Stewart, who has said absolutely no to revoke and no to a second referendum, isn't Brexity enough any more. To be proper Brexit you need to be willing to drive the country and its economy off the edge off a cliff.
span

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:40 pm

It's become a sort of mass hysteria. Steaming headlong towards oblivion backed up by only 52% of the electorate who actually voted will be viewed as the best (worst) example of a country losing its shit in years to come.
ttwiggy

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:57 pm

It’s pretty grim. The Tories are desperate to halt Farage taking their voters so are determined to drive us off the cliff. At that point Farage (I am ever more certain he is a Russian mole) will bugger off to the US. They are also desperate to keep Corbyn at bay so look likely to go for the imitation PT Barnum, BoJo.

The foaming at the mouth PH Brexiteers Leave brigade are strutting round like nonces in a playground with three dicks. Labour, the party that is supposed to be keeping a check on all this, is sitting on its collective arse too busy disliking Jews and looking at ways to rebrand communism to be able to work out whether it is pro or anti Brexit. It even can’t decide whether it can’t decide: it can’t work out whether to ask the people again.

It’s enough to drive a man to watch Love Island. Almost.
Greg66

Post by Frik @ Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 pm

fcuking hell I wish they'd get rid of Corbyn. I can't believe how ridiculously terrified people are of him; he's utterly useless. But even a half-decent Labour leader would run rings around these self-serving bunch of useless wankers.

A few of them have admitted the obvious: Brexit is a purely Tory issue that threatens to tear apart the party. Good. fcuk them and their lies.
Frik

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Let's predict things!

My prediction: as Halloween approaches, and whoever the PM is at the time realises that [bad boys ii]shit just got real[/bad boys ii] (especially with regard to the harsh realities of crashing onto WTO terms; tl;dr, there will be sudden huge tariff barriers and no, GATT 24 will not save you), they go on bended knee, with tugged forelock, to the EU and plead for an extension.

The EU will then say "Two things. Firstly, get fcuked. Secondly, here's this wholly one-sided deal that is obviously (duh!) massively favourable to us, but does stop your entire economy turning to shite overnight. It's literally an offer you cannot refuse."

And we will take that shit sandwich, and we will eat it, and we will fcuking well like it.

The government will be abruptly fcuked at that point, the Brexit party will go absolutely gangbusters in the polls, and Nigel Farage will be our new Prime Minister. Until he too fcuks it all up, and we get Tommy Robinson at the head of a resurgent UKIP.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by S1K @ Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:53 pm

I for one welcome our new frog faced cnut of an overlord.
S1K

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:31 pm

CJ+ wrote:Let's predict things!

My prediction: as Halloween approaches, and whoever the PM is at the time realises that [bad boys ii]shit just got real[/bad boys ii] (especially with regard to the harsh realities of crashing onto WTO terms; tl;dr, there will be sudden huge tariff barriers and no, GATT 24 will not save you), they go on bended knee, with tugged forelock, to the EU and plead for an extension.

The EU will then say "Two things. Firstly, get fcuked. Secondly, here's this wholly one-sided deal that is obviously (duh!) massively favourable to us, but does stop your entire economy turning to shite overnight. It's literally an offer you cannot refuse."

And we will take that shit sandwich, and we will eat it, and we will fcuking well like it.

The government will be abruptly fcuked at that point, the Brexit party will go absolutely gangbusters in the polls, and Nigel Farage will be our new Prime Minister. Until he too fcuks it all up, and we get Tommy Robinson at the head of a resurgent UKIP.

This with a tweak - to make it more palatable for Brexiters and an easier sell for BoJo in Parliament, the EU (Ireland) will relax it's backstop stance somewhat.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:23 pm

CJ+ wrote: the harsh realities of crashing onto WTO terms; tl;dr, there will be sudden huge tariff barriers

This is not necessarily written in stone and tbh I’m far less scared of WTO than I used to be. Forex in my industry (chemicals) it’s been agreed we won’t impose import tariffs on the majority of commodities. It’s widely believed that it would be reciprocal with EU by people who should know about these things. Likewise we have quite a few pre-agreements with some major trading partners (eg South Korea) just to continue where we left off should we have a no-deal scenario.

There is likely to be more import/export paperwork but not tariffs. Unless we’re protecting our own interests. Forex the stuff that makes drinking bottles we have a big plant here so we’d impose a tariff on that. For products we don’t make we’ll drop it to zero.

Not GATTXXIV btw, just general WTO dealings.
thekungfury

Post by desertweasel @ Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:06 pm

It’s widely believed that it would be reciprocal with EU by people who should know about these things.

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the EU will not be able to reduce tariffs for us as they would then have to do this for every member of WTO, which there is not a chance in hell of. Unless there is a trade deal to do this of course, but that isn't what we are saying though is it?
There will be quotas as well as having to prove that goods meet EU standards.

And nothing for services, which of course make up the largest part of our exports.
desertweasel

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:45 pm

desertweasel wrote:
It’s widely believed that it would be reciprocal with EU by people who should know about these things.

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the EU will not be able to reduce tariffs for us as they would then have to do this for every member of WTO, which there is not a chance in hell of. Unless there is a trade deal to do this of course, but that isn't what we are saying though is it?

And nothing for services, which of course make up the largest part of our exports.

The "deal" covers more than just trade of commodities though. There is the adoption of various other regulations e.g. aviation, medical, finance plus the whole NI thing, visa-free travel etc. It would be an FTA-lite is the way it was explained to me and just covering trade of commodities.

btw under WTO I believe you can't just drop tariffs altogether. It's down to a negligible amount of 0.1% or 0.01%, I forgot which.
thekungfury

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Explaining perfectly why we should never have had a referendum. I have absolutely no idea what all that ^ means so why ask me.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by desertweasel @ Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 pm

thekungfury wrote:
desertweasel wrote:

The "deal" covers more than just trade of commodities though. There is the adoption of various other regulations e.g. aviation, medical, finance plus the whole NI thing, visa-free travel etc. It would be an FTA-lite is the way it was explained to me and just covering trade of commodities.

btw under WTO I believe you can't just drop tariffs altogether. It's down to a negligible amount of 0.1% or 0.01%, I forgot which.

But if we leave with no deal that means there is no deal surely, and if we refuse to pay the monies owed there is not going to be a lite deal or any other kind until the eu citizens rights are agreed and the money paid (or at least agreed to pay) . I have heard there is a protocol to keep planes flying- or at least most of them but this is not a deal per sae.
desertweasel

Some Brexit

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:55 pm

Last edited by Doctor Congo on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Congo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:56 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:23 am

Michael Fallon on the wireless this morning: things will be different with the EU now because Boris is confident and optimistic, our EU partners will respect us, and they don’t want a no deal Brexit.

Oh dear.

AIUI Boris has inherited the same hand of cards that May held, but will have even worse Parliamentary arithmetic to play with.

But Bulldog spirit, holding all the cards, etc...
Greg66

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:19 am

Greg66 wrote:AIUI Boris has inherited the same hand of cards that May held, but will have even worse Parliamentary arithmetic to play with.

I don't get that- why is the arithmetic worse?
He's painted himself in to more of a corner but he seems to have the same absence of a majority that May ended up with, or am I missing something?
Dirk

Post by Turntable @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Dirk wrote:
Greg66 wrote:AIUI Boris has inherited the same hand of cards that May held, but will have even worse Parliamentary arithmetic to play with.

He's painted himself in to more of a corner but he seems to have the same absence of a majority that May ended up with, or am I missing something?

I think you've answered your own question there.At least may broadly had her party on her side, but Boris has alienated a third of his own party as well as all the other MPs.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Cos if the rumours that were floating around at the weekend are true, he won’t have a majority even with the DUP.
Greg66

Post by desertweasel @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Dirk wrote:

I think they have a majority with the DUP of 3 now but are likely to lose the by-election meaning majority of 1and there are likely to be a couple of defections or at least dissenting votes.
desertweasel

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:22 pm

A little ditty about Boris (Absolutely not safe for work!)
https://vimeo.com/349649184?ref=fb-share&1
Careless Whisperer

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 am

From Twitter

Johnson became PM with 92,000 votes. Boaty McBoatface got 124,000 votes & was overruled for being plainly a bloody stupid fcuking decision.
thekungfury

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 am

thekungfury wrote:From Twitter

Johnson became PM with 92,000 votes. Boaty McBoatface got 124,000 votes & was overruled for being plainly a bloody stupid fcuking decision.

Nice!
Deuteronomy

Post by minimoog @ Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:57 pm

Socmed is a fcuking nightmare right now with every gammon in the land running rampant with glee. Dark times ahead.
minimoog

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:07 pm

minimoog wrote:Socmed is a fcuking nightmare right now with every gammon in the land running rampant with glee. Dark times ahead.

Likewise NPE on PH. Quite happy to have been banned TBH as I don’t think I’d last a day in there right now.
Greg66

Post by tanglerat @ Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:52 pm

It's the perfect outcome. BoJo and his Brexit cronies are in power now.

They can take ownership of the whole stinking mess, and when it all goes tits upon them they'll have nobody else to blame.
tanglerat

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:59 pm

tanglerat wrote:they'll have nobody else to blame.

You think?
thekungfury

Post by tanglerat @ Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:41 pm

thekungfury wrote:
tanglerat wrote:they'll have nobody else to blame.

You think?

They can try blaming May, the EU, Remainers, whoever they like. But they're the ones in power now. Buck stops with them.
tanglerat

PreviousNext

Return to Political Corner