Some Brexit

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Re: Some Brexit

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:19 pm

Oldie but goldie.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:02 pm

Excellent, though I would add that farage hasn't managed a degree of any kind, let alone one in economics
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
47B38A0B-F925-48AD-A492-4C63AF25D523.jpeg

Brill!
Deuteronomy

Post by tanglerat @ Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:41 pm

From somebody else somewhere else:

Brits: We’re leaving the EU.
EU: Want the same trade terms?
Brits: No.
EU: You’ll need a border then.
EU: Then you’ll need open borders with all WTO countries.
EU: What about customs checks then?
Brits: They’re easy. Technology. Don’t need a border.
EU: How?
Brits: Trust us.
EU: Will it be in place by the time you leave?
EU: Then you’ll need a border.
EU: How about we keep the current agreement until you get your alternative in place?
EU: Then you’ll need a border.
Brits: OMG WHY ARE YOU PERSECUTING ME THIS IS SO UNFAIR I HATE YOU!
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by tanglerat @ Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:49 pm

tanglerat

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:09 pm

Käsemeister

Post by minimoog @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:00 am

The govt is reportedly going to ask Liz to suspend Parliament from mid-September to prevent it blocking a no-deal Brexit.

So far none of this shitshow has inspired me to wander further than the local polling station, but if true this is take-to-the-streets territory for me.

Utter, utter hypocritical cnuts.
minimoog

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:09 am

minimoog wrote:this is take-to-the-streets territory for me.

Utter, utter hypocritical cnuts.

Same, the level and blatant nature of their self-serving agendas is astonishing. They just don't worry about being held to account anymore, the wretched shits.
Deuteronomy

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:21 am

Liz should say OK, but if this shitshow doesn't deliver an improved economy within 12 months then you'll hang for treason. Your move Boris...
Careless Whisperer

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 am

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:37 am

It's being applauded as a 'bold move' on PH. By the same people who think the EU is 'dictating' to them. In the words of James O'Brian: 'do they know what they've actually won?'.
ttwiggy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:46 am

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:There is not enough facepalm in the universe.

Indeed. But they simply don't see it that way. They are convinced that the 'will of the people' is being blocked and that therefore any action to get Brexit through is justified. They firmly believe that parliament and the MPs in it are acting against the wishes of the public. Of course, this ignores the incredibly tight 'win' they actually got and the fact that they were promised a 'great deal'.
ttwiggy

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 am

Totalitarianism in 2019 Britain. Fcuk me this is horrid. Utterly disgraceful.
thekungfury

Post by S1K @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:59 am

The Queen should tell Boris to fcuk off.
S1K

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:36 am

Hey, my British chums, how're you doing with that whole "taking back control" and "parliamentary sovereignty" thing you've got going on?
tanglerat

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:40 am

tanglerat wrote:Hey, my British chums, how're you doing with that whole "taking back control" and "parliamentary sovereignty" thing you've got going on?

Any more of that from you lot and we'll build a fcuking wall... ;)
Careless Whisperer

Post by span @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:08 pm

It's astonishing. Just when you think your capacity for astonishment and disillusionment has been reached, it all starts again.
span

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:18 pm

span wrote:It's astonishing. Just when you think your capacity for astonishment and disillusionment has been reached, it all starts again.

Sadly true.
Deuteronomy

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:38 pm

The PHesque people who are applauding this are the kinds of people who will eat a shit sandwich so that a liberal has to smell their breath.
CJ+

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:51 pm

Am I alone in being worn down the point of indifference about this?

Whilst I don't like the the idea of any of this at all, no deal seems like national suicide and suspending parliament to remove opposition is one step from a dictatorship...

...like it or loathe it, we're fast heading to a no deal anyway. There's nothing you or I can do about it, parliament opposition just like national opposition is ineffectual because there is such an even division in opinions. We've had two years of stalemate, dithering and indecision and nothing is changing - apart from Boris is grabbing the bull by the horns and making it happen.

I don't like it, I don't want it, but I do think Boris may be taking the least damaging approach by not allowing the dithering indecision and bickering to continue.
Careless Whisperer

Post by S1K @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:58 pm

CJ+ wrote:The PHesque people who are applauding this are the kinds of people who will eat a shit sandwich so that a liberal has to smell their breath.

Did you hear about Gavin McInnes, the alt-right founder of The Proud Boys new-fascist group, who stuck a dildo up his arse live on his webshow to prove he didn’t hate gays and thus to own the libs? If you hate fascism consider yourself well and truly pwned.
S1K

Post by Paul H @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote: but I do think Boris may be taking the least damaging approach by not allowing the dithering indecision and bickering to continue.

What, literally WHAT, could be more damaging?
Paul H

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Paul H wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote: but I do think Boris may be taking the least damaging approach by not allowing the dithering indecision and bickering to continue.

The dithering and bickering, while achieving nothing.

The markets react negatively to uncertainty. The economy will likely be mostly damaged by uncertainty. Brexit isn't going to be stopped at this stage and continuing to bicker endlessly until 31st October does nothing to aid decisiveness.

I'm literally at the point of just wanting it over and done with, when we can hopefully get united behind the need to rebuild the shambles of a nation - that can't happen until Brexit happens and I don't believe will happen if Brexit was somehow miraculously cancelled.
Careless Whisperer

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Paul H wrote:

The dithering and bickering, while achieving nothing.

The markets react negatively to uncertainty. The economy will likely be mostly damaged by uncertainty massive honking tarriffs and giant fuckups at every port of entry, also there's a metric fuckton of paperwork that no-one's done yet.

EFA - "uncertainty" has been replaced by "certainty".

Brexit isn't going to be stopped at this stage and continuing to bicker endlessly until 31st October does nothing to aid decisiveness.

I'm literally at the point of just wanting it over and done with, when we can hopefully get united behind the need to rebuild the shambles of a nation - that can't happen until Brexit happens and I don't believe will happen if Brexit was somehow miraculously cancelled.

You're BoJo-ing at this point. This is another way of saying that if only we had enough spunk and gumption and moxy and oomph, all the hard problems will be solved!
Last edited by CJ+ on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 pm

This isn’t about cancelling Brexit. It’s about avoiding No Deal which nobody with an ounce of sense actually wants. I don’t even believe Boris wants it, this is yet another negotiating tactic. Show EU that we’re prepared to set fire to ourselves if we don’t get what we want.

It’s fcuking lunacy and gambling with the highest stakes.
thekungfury

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:36 pm

thekungfury wrote:This isn’t about cancelling Brexit. It’s about avoiding No Deal which nobody with an ounce of sense actually wants. I don’t even believe Boris wants it, this is yet another negotiating tactic. Show EU that we’re prepared to set fire to ourselves if we don’t get what we want.

Quite. For this to work you've got to be pretty confident that your counterparty - the EU - has a strong desire to avoid the consequences it will suffer by us setting fire to ourselves. Yet it has consistently signalled that should it come it to, it will consider that damage to be an acceptable price for a front row ticket to watch us burn.
Greg66

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Do you really believe a no deal can be avoided at this point?

We've got what, 9 weeks left of a 3 year period in which we have agreed the prize sum of fcuk all.

Boris has said we leave on 31st of October come what may. Is there any advantage to prolonging the agony any longer?

The EU are not going to suddenly cave in because we continue to bicker until the last minute.

Do you really believe, if by some miracle Brexit can be cancelled, that this country won't tear itself apart in riots and blaming, while the EU stand there and quite rightly tell us 'we told you so' with absolutely no incentive to ever listen to us ever again, no matter what our position within it.

I don't want the plane to crash, but it's got no engines, no wings, no pilot and no fcuking hope. I don't see any advantage in trying to crash in that field over there rather than this one just here. Lets just make sure we're in the right field now and be ready to treat the wounded.
Careless Whisperer

Post by span @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:00 pm

thekungfury wrote:This isn’t about cancelling Brexit. It’s about avoiding No Deal which nobody with an ounce of sense actually wants. I don’t even believe Boris wants it, this is yet another negotiating tactic. Show EU that we’re prepared to set fire to ourselves if we don’t get what we want.

Yes, I agree. I'm an unnbearable remoaner, but at this stage I wish they'd voted for her deal, and we'd be leaving on those shitty terms rather than pandering even further to the delusionals.

And given the country's inevitable position after a no-deal, we'll presumably be refusing to accept anything but the very most favourable deals from other countries? Because, after all (and in my mother's own words), "Don't you think other countries will be wanting to trade with Britain?" - we're like the world's favourite celebrity country.

Where does it end? Maybe finally at that stage, we might manage to elect a sensible, and they'll be loathed by half the country for governing over the aftermath of that half's catastrophic 'success'.
span

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:Do you really believe a no deal can be avoided at this point?

We've got what, 9 weeks left of a 3 year period in which we have agreed the prize sum of fcuk all.

Boris has said we leave on 31st of October come what may. Is there any advantage to prolonging the agony any longer?

The EU are not going to suddenly cave in because we continue to bicker until the last minute.

Do you really believe, if by some miracle Brexit can be cancelled, that this country won't tear itself apart in riots and blaming, while the EU stand there and quite rightly tell us 'we told you so' with absolutely no incentive to ever listen to us ever again, no matter what our position within it.

I don't want the plane to crash, but it's got no engines, no wings, no pilot and no fcuking hope. I don't see any advantage in trying to crash in that field over there rather than this one just here. Lets just make sure we're in the right field now and be ready to treat the wounded.

There is no upside to your solution, you’ve just thrown the towel in for nothing.
Tokyo Sexwale

PreviousNext

Return to Political Corner