Some Brexit

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Re: Some Brexit

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:14 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:I don't believe will happen if Brexit was somehow miraculously cancelled.

thekungfury wrote:This isn’t about cancelling Brexit.

Careless Whisperer wrote:Do you really believe, if by some miracle Brexit can be cancelled,

This isn’t about cancelling Brexit.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:21 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:I don't believe will happen if Brexit was somehow miraculously cancelled.

thekungfury wrote:This isn’t about cancelling Brexit.

Careless Whisperer wrote:Do you really believe, if by some miracle Brexit can be cancelled,

This isn’t about cancelling Brexit.

If you read the rest of my posts, I have said that we have achieved the sum total of fcuk all in terms of agreeing anything.

There is no deal to be had, because the UK does not agree on what a deal would include. To think that after 3 years of infighting, bickering and nonsense that we're going to somehow pull an agreement over anything out of the hat is delusional.

At this stage, I genuinely see no outcome other than a no deal or cancelling Brexit altogether - and I don't really believe one pile of shit is any better than the other steaming heap.

You may suggest I am throwing in the towel, but as I've said, there is nothing you or I can do about this other than wait to see just how big a pile of shit it transpires to be. I see no benefit in waiting any longer, just let us see the size of the shitheap and then we can all start mucking in together to clear it.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Analogies aside, there is no upside that I can see in throwing in the towel now. I hate all of it too by the way, maybe I’m just more positive.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:43 pm

I just don't see we're achieving anything by fighting any more.

Whatever happens we will have a huge rebuilding job on our hands - whether it be rebuilding the economy, or rebuilding a deeply divided and angry population. Neither will be quick or easy, but I'd rather get on with the positive aspect of rebuilding than fighting against the inevitable.

However, I respect that others may think there is something worth fighting for. I just can't see it myself at this point.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Analogies aside, there is no upside that I can see in throwing in the towel now. I hate all of it too by the way, maybe I’m just more positive.

If I squint really hard I can imagine an upside: no deal Brexit is properly terrible for the country, such that within 5 years there is an overwhelming desire to rejoin the EU. And to do so on any available terms. Which for all I care can include adoption of the Euro, signing up to an EU army controlled by Brussels, and having to speak French (which is beyond me). Because each and every condition like that would cause immeasurable anger to Gammons. And that would make me extremely happy.

It's terrible that it has come to this. The Gammons insisting that we all smile while we have their shit sandwich rammed down our gullets, and me thinking "fine, because when the payback comes it will be even sweeter to see your collective aneurysm. I have nothing to back this up, but I am pretty sure this is how the seeds of civil wars are planted.
Greg66

Post by minimoog @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:22 pm

I confess to a niggling voice at the back of my mind whispering that doomsayers have been proven wrong before so maybe no deal won't be anything like as bad as predicted. In which case the gammons will be even more insufferable of course, but at least we might be able to afford food and medicines and the occasional holiday at Butlins.

But I'd still rather we didn't abandon our tradition of parliamentary democracy in order to find out one way or the other.
minimoog

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:07 pm

The hypocrisy behind this move is unbelievable. In a way I want it to happen now, maybe people need to see the consequences of their actions. The result will be a huge polarisation if the vote particularly in the young who will probably vote to rejoin on much worse terms than we are in at present.
Doctor Congo

Post by minimoog @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:08 pm

Liz has given it the rubber stamp, as expected.
minimoog

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:11 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:Do you really believe a no deal can be avoided at this point?

We've got what, 9 weeks left of a 3 year period in which we have agreed the prize sum of fcuk all.

Boris has said we leave on 31st of October come what may. Is there any advantage to prolonging the agony any longer?

The EU are not going to suddenly cave in because we continue to bicker until the last minute.

Do you really believe, if by some miracle Brexit can be cancelled, that this country won't tear itself apart in riots and blaming, while the EU stand there and quite rightly tell us 'we told you so' with absolutely no incentive to ever listen to us ever again, no matter what our position within it.

I don't want the plane to crash, but it's got no engines, no wings, no pilot and no fcuking hope. I don't see any advantage in trying to crash in that field over there rather than this one just here. Lets just make sure we're in the right field now and be ready to treat the wounded.

There is no upside to your solution, you’ve just thrown the towel in for nothing.

Quite. This is how tin-pot banana republics go for hard man "strong leaders" who cut through the bullshit and deliver results and stability.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:32 pm

One PH-Gammon has actually typed: 'if you don't like it, seek asylum in EU.'
ttwiggy

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:09 pm

minimoog wrote:I confess to a niggling voice at the back of my mind whispering that doomsayers have been proven wrong before so maybe no deal won't be anything like as bad as predicted.

My gut feeling is it’ll be quite shit for a short time (first 6-12mths), a bit shit medium term and then long term other things we be more important (global recession, war etc).

If we go No Deal it’ll be the little things that will annoy me the most I think. Passport control queues, data roaming charges, that kind of thing. Minor irritations that magnify.
thekungfury

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:42 pm

John Major in June talking about what Boris has just done.

https://twitter.com/chathamhouse/status/1166648068445528065?s=21
thekungfury

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:10 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:I just don't see we're achieving anything by fighting any more.

Whatever happens we will have a huge rebuilding job on our hands - whether it be rebuilding the economy, or rebuilding a deeply divided and angry population. Neither will be quick or easy, but I'd rather get on with the positive aspect of rebuilding than fighting against the inevitable.

However, I respect that others may think there is something worth fighting for. I just can't see it myself at this point.

It just sounds a bit defeatist and wet CW...I get that a lot people feel that way but if somebody fcuked up your garden with a pickaxe, you’d be after them to make it right! You wouldn’t just say “oh well, this is how my garden looks now so I may as well start rebuilding it” would you??

I just can’t ever let bad things that affect me which weren’t my fault go, I guess. Ironically, the Brexiteers don’t seem to appreciate my British bulldogesque tenacity when it comes to refusing to accept the referendum result and hoping it will still all not happen.

I tell you one thing though, a No deal brexit forced through like this will galvanise the Scottish independence movement and I actually think I’ll probably vote for it too.

I’m almost at a point where a side of me hopes the country will be absolutely ruined, just to highlight what a shit plan this was. Obvs I don’t actually want that but the moral compass in me does.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:19 am

thekungfury wrote:If we go No Deal it’ll be the little things that will annoy me the most I think. Passport control queues, data roaming charges, that kind of thing. Minor irritations that magnify.

My thinking exactly but I have dual nationality and a dual sim so that's two fewer things.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:04 am

Dis - I would hate for the Scottish people to vote to leave, as I always consider myself British rather than English, but if I were a Scot I'd probably vote out now. This is a shambles.
ttwiggy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:18 am

ttwiggy wrote:Dis - I would hate for the Scottish people to vote to leave, as I always consider myself British rather than English, but if I were a Scot I'd probably vote out now. This is a shambles.

Same
Deuteronomy

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:34 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:Dis - I would hate for the Scottish people to vote to leave, as I always consider myself British rather than English, but if I were a Scot I'd probably vote out now. This is a shambles.

Same

And if the Scots leave the bloody Welsh will want to as well.
How exactly they'd propose to run the principality with just the income from the pot noodle mines and sheep I'm not sure.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by stuart @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:18 am

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSMr-3GGvQ

The documentary, The Great Hack, on Netflix is worth watching too.
Last edited by stuart on Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:55 am

The problem Stuart is that the EU-haters don't care who influenced the vote or for what reason they did so. They've got their 'victory' over the hated EUrocrats and that's all that matters. Even if you could show absolute unquestionable proof that Putin personally filled the ballot boxes with Leave votes they still wouldn't care. It's an entirely emotional decision for them.
ttwiggy

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:59 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:

Same

And actually same from me.

I voted No before as I saw that as a vote to remain in the UK and EU as part of something bigger. German wife, etc etc.

I feel absolutely sold down the river by Westminster and whilst I don’t blame >waves hand< “the English”, I’m incredibly cross at how this has been forced on my whole country by dint of cnutery.

If I felt it could somehow guarantee we’d get back into Europe and I could sit in my speedboat sipping champagne whilst England went to the dogs I definitely would. You’d all be welcome obvs as I feel you must all feel right shit about it. Not Pauly though, the bell.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by minimoog @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Disastrous wrote:Pauly though, the bell.

How about Cloggy the Nearly Dead European? He fcuking *loves* Brexit.
minimoog

Post by Cloggy @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:13 pm

I fcuking do.

Go Boris.

fcuk Juncker, Verhofstad, Tusk and all the other pigs with their snouts in the through.

Oh and that little cnut Bercow.

:thumbup:
Cloggy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Turntable @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:00 pm

Depressing when laid out like that
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm

A letter from Boris when he was seeking election to PM

thekungfury

Post by minimoog @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:43 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote: Arguing has never been more pointless. Save your strength. You're going to need it.

It's not arguing. Hasn't been for, well, 3 years now. One just needs to vent occasionally.

cnuts the lot of them.
minimoog

Post by minimoog @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Cloggy wrote:I fcuking do.

Go Boris.

fcuk Juncker, Verhofstad, Tusk and all the other pigs with their snouts in the through.

minimoog

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:48 pm

Cloggy wrote:I fcuking do.

Go Boris.

Fascinating. I’d love to know what they’ve done in comparison to our government who have literally subverted democracy to act in a Mugabe-esque way to force through their lunatic agenda.

It seems you’re only rationale for Brexit is that you don’t like some politicians. Tell us what the other reasons are that make you love it.
Doctor Congo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:05 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by minimoog @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:17 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:Tell us what the other reasons are that make you love it.

I can't speak for our Dutch friend here obviously, but I truly believe that the heart of the matter for most people is people not liking being told what to do, or how to think, especially by someone who isn't an English toff. De-regulation and an end to 'PC' is the aim. If they want to pay their workers fcuk all, or deny them rights, or tip their waste in the river, or call someone a Paki, or leer at women in the office, or treat livestock like shit, or spray pesticides everywhere, or tell foreigners to fcuk off out of it, they reckon they should be able to with no consequences.

In short, an large section of society resents becoming progressively more civilised. They would like to wind the clock back to when they didn't have to be, quite so much anyway. That way they can indulge their baser instincts to get one over on those weaker than them.

Bleating on about 'snouts in troughs' is just a smokescreen, for the blindingly obvious reason that nothing Tusk or Verhofstadt or any other EU official has ever gained personally has had even the slightest effect on individuals like Cloggy except inasmuch as the laws they have brought into effect have restricted their ability to act like cnuts.

There's more to it than that of course - not least wanting to keep Britain for the British - oh and blue passports and lightbulbs are really important. And paying and unnoticeable amount of your own money to help other countries out for the greater good. But the core grudge is about not being allowed to act like a wanker in your own country.
Last edited by minimoog on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minimoog

PreviousNext

Return to Political Corner