Really superb
Käsemeister

Re: Who wants decking?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:09 pm

Also, I approve of your Makita tools.
Deuteronomy

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:Also, I approve of your Makita tools.

They are les tits! I can see me getting carried away and going for the full set - including the coffee machine!
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Dirk @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:51 pm

ypauly wrote:
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-05 at 18.56.30 (1).jpeg

What I don't get ypauly is why you have completely fenced the decking off from the garden . Seems very restrictive
Dirk

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:34 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:

They are les tits! I can see me getting carried away and going for the full set - including the coffee machine!

Mine were absolutely fab
Käsemeister

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:33 pm

Käsemeister wrote:

Mine were absolutely fab

I'd bought a small plug-in Makita electric chainsaw to sort out a few trees and large bushes a few of years ago and was suitably impressed. Then getting ready for this project my faithful old 12v DeWalt drill decided that both batteries would be better served as paperweights, so it was time to invest in something new. Will probably go for the hedge trimmer next as a corded one is a pain and is sporting some insulation tape to cover up a war wound...
Careless Whisperer

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Käsemeister wrote:

Mine were absolutely fab

I'd bought a small plug-in Makita electric chainsaw to sort out a few trees and large bushes a few of years ago and was suitably impressed. Then getting ready for this project my faithful old 12v DeWalt drill decided that both batteries would be better served as paperweights, so it was time to invest in something new. Will probably go for the hedge trimmer next as a corded one is a pain and is sporting some insulation tape to cover up a war wound...

The Makita twin-battery chainsaw is excellent also, really handy for all the little jobs and feels a lot safer than the petrol ones when you're up a tree, pruning things.
Deuteronomy

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:21 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:The Makita twin-battery chainsaw is excellent also, really handy for all the little jobs and feels a lot safer than the petrol ones when you're up a tree, pruning things.

Fortunately I'm unlikely to ever get anywhere near enough use out of my existing chain saw to justify upgrading.

I may well go for the twin battery mower at some point, although from reading reviews I'd really need to upgrade to the 6.0Amh batteries, which would be more cost.

However, I have long harboured a desire to build a radio control powered bogie/trolley type thing for lugging heavy crates/boxes/stuff around and have been thinking it would be pretty cool if it was powered by a couple of Makita 6.0Mah batteries and drill/driver innards, so that would mitigate the cost and give me something to play with... :scratchchin:
Careless Whisperer

Post by ypauly @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Dirk wrote:
ypauly wrote:
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-05 at 18.56.30 (1).jpeg

What I don't get ypauly is why you have completely fenced the decking off from the garden . Seems very restrictive

it was originally open but she keeps changing her mind
ypauly

Post by ypauly @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Looking good CW
ypauly

Post by Ghost @ Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:14 pm

Käsemeister wrote:

Mine were absolutely fab

Those gone as well? :( :crying:
Ghost

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:44 pm

Bloody annoying weather.

Yesterday was a complete wash-out, so I made an early start today to try to get as much done as possible before the weather turned. Was making really good progress with the last section of framework, with three posts in place and the perimeter joists in. I think another hour or so and I'd have got the whole frame finished for the main deck, but unfortunately it's chucking it down now.

On the plus side, the pile of wood now looks smaller at last, so I'm definitely getting somewhere (or someone is stealing my wood)...
Careless Whisperer

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:55 am

Finally managed to get a bit more done on the deck yesterday. It doesn't look like much progress, but it was all I could manage on the day with my knackered back.

I completed the framework on the right side, with all the tall posts and joists (bar one) now in place. I also dug out enough clearance for a 400 litre water butt to sit under neath the deck, to be fed from the shed downpipe, which will then feed a solar powered irrigation system. One joist was cut and left out for now while I await delivery of a massive butt...

So that's the main deck frame now done. Nest up will be the lower deck at the front and internal facing of the planters, so there won't be any dampness or weight bearing on the external faces.

Looking quite substantial now...

Careless Whisperer

Post by S1K @ Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:22 am

Do you like big butts?
S1K

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:45 am

S1K wrote:Do you like big butts?

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH2hmJTVnHA
Careless Whisperer

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:24 pm

A bit of an update. I've managed to grab a day today to spend on the decking having only managed a few hours here or there for the past few weeks.

Here's the 400L water butt which arrived a few weeks ago, sans lid FFS:

It sits neatly under the deck. I just need to sort out some scavenge feeds from the shed and man cave downpipes to fill it and then next spring I'll install a solar irrigation system.

Today, I finally completed the entire framework.

The plan is on Monday to spend a couple of hours just finishing off the internal faces of the planters and to saw off the protruding posts in the middle of the deck. Then it just needs some weed matting putting underneath and then the deck boards fitted.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 pm

Is your guttering over next door’s fence?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Is your guttering over next door’s fence?

It's directly above, not overhanging, and it's our fence. Was a slight miscalculation (forgot about the guttering) when building the office!
Careless Whisperer

Post by ypauly @ Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:28 pm

Looking good that is :thumbup:
ypauly

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:13 am

Good progress CW, nice!

The joists, are they treated timber?

(Just wondering as the picture makes them look quite orange and not the greenyblue or brown of pressure treated timber)
Deuteronomy

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:31 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Good progress CW, nice!

The joists, are they treated timber?

(Just wondering as the picture makes them look quite orange and not the greenyblue or brown of pressure treated timber)

They are treated yes, although I agree they are quite light in colour - the same colour as the decking boards, which are also treated.

These are the joists: https://www.lawsons.co.uk/product/categ ... /t00001157
Careless Whisperer

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am

Good stuff!

On another note, imagine doing all of that without an impact driver...
Deuteronomy

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:36 am

Deuteronomy wrote:On another note, imagine doing all of that without an impact driver...

Arms like Popeye!
Careless Whisperer

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 pm

It's directly above, not overhanging, and it's our fence. Was a slight miscalculation (forgot about the guttering) when building the office!

Our new neighbour built his shedofffice right up to the boundary and the guttering was originally overhanging onto our garden, in fact, it was draining into it. We soon put a stop to that, but his builder had to undertake some guttering gymnastics to get it draining onto his land instead.

I suspect he also forgot to calculate the measurement of the guttering!
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by S1K @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:30 pm

That does look good CW. Are the supporting timbers mounted into concrete or did you use those metal bottom things or what?
S1K

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:

Our new neighbour built his shedofffice right up to the boundary and the guttering was originally overhanging onto our garden, in fact, it was draining into it. We soon put a stop to that, but his builder had to undertake some guttering gymnastics to get it draining onto his land instead.

I suspect he also forgot to calculate the measurement of the guttering!

It's easy to do as some of the cabin manufacturers don't even quote roof overhangs in their dimensions, let alone guttering. Ofcourse, if only I knew somebody who does design drawings for a living to spot that sort of issue beforehand... :rolleyes:
Careless Whisperer

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:35 pm

S1K wrote:That does look good CW. Are the supporting timbers mounted into concrete or did you use those metal bottom things or what?

It's a pain in the backside site as the ground is very uneven, predominantly falling from rear left to front right, but not uniformly.

All of the posts are sunk 500mm into the ground and concreted in place, apart from a couple of the outer ones which are sitting on slabs due to protruding concrete from fence posts. Those ones only need to support the hanging trough planters (when I get around to making them).

The joists are predominantly mounted from the posts, but there are a couple which have one end supported on plastic adjustable feet sat on slabs. These are where the deck lines up with the cabin or sheds and I can't get a post into the ground due to concrete. Additionally, the joists along the front of the cabin are joined to the cabin floor bearers to keep everything all lined up square.

The lower joists at the front are also supported on plastic feet on slabs which have been sunk into the ground.

The posts will rot eventually ofcourse, but at 100x100mm, hopefully not too quickly. I've done my calculations around a 10 year lifespan. Realistically, I suspect I'll have to either significantly rejuvenate or replace the decking boards after 5 or 6 years, so that would give me a good opportunity to inspect the frame and if necessary replacing the odd post wouldn't be too difficult.

PS: Our kittens love climbing over and under it all, so hopefully they'll be happy chasing away any rodent visitors who might try to set up home...
Careless Whisperer

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Loving the little blue huts! Are they storage?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by S1K @ Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Perfect for a kitten adventure playground.
S1K

PreviousNext

Return to Houses and Blouses