Some Brexit

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Re: Some Brexit

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Most of our lot are stressing about where data is held, ignoring the fact data is currently held in non EU countries anyway.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Dirk @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:51 pm

desertweasel wrote:
I do wonder why Foster is so happy with it though.

I agree. When I first saw it I thought that DUP would be against it.
Maybe, like the EU they don't like it but don't want to be seen to be the ones who kill it.

Which leaves us with the question as to what happens next. EU won't kill it directly, it will be all polite noises and issues to resolve. Will they offer an extension to allow a referendum to confirm?
Will parliament vote it through or will labour vite it down. They say it is worse, but will they want to be ones who kill it
Could be a strange few weeks
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by span @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:45 am

What are people's hopes, at this stage?

I think I'm as remoanery as they come but I've started to feel that a second ref would be too huge a risk. That's based on 1) my ever-sinking estimation of the population, and 2) realising quite the depths that the other side are willing to plumb in this surreal and cynical age, in terms of what they're willing to say, who they're willing to aggressively target, myths they're keen to propagate.

I'm resigned to start hoping there is some deal put in place, the country flounders through negotiations and Brexiting for 15 - 20 years or so until another generation takes over and we (I think) inevitably asks to be readmitted. Assuming we haven't been made Russian by then, or sold ourselves to America or whatever.

A slight aside, does anyone listen to Brexitcast? There was one this week with Adam Fleming talking to conservative party members at the conference. They either accepted there'd be an extension, or a couple of others said they'd leave on the 31st because of something very clever Boris had up his sleeve, or they weren't sure how but they had faith. It was pretty interesting. Averagely depressing. They were not bright. At least no one actively cheering for No Deal.
span

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:57 am

span wrote:What are people's hopes, at this stage?

Leave with a reasonable deal. One which satisfies and shuts up the Red Tops but if you delve below the surface nothing much actually changes for things like trade/travel/regulations.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Monty @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 am

Leave with some sort of deal.

'Shagger' Johnson's deal might work. Or it might not. I no longer care.
Monty

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:31 am

Ideally I'd like everything to return as it was before that bastard referendum.
Especially the GBP-Euro. €1.32

The only advantage I can see if we leave is that they won't be able to send car related fines to me over here.

One just arrived from the frogs- 3 bloody miles an hour over the limit ffs!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by desertweasel @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:00 pm

span wrote:What are people's hopes, at this stage?

I think I'm as remoanery as they come but I've started to feel that a second ref would be too huge a risk. That's based on 1) my ever-sinking estimation of the population, and 2) realising quite the depths that the other side are willing to plumb in this surreal and cynical age, in terms of what they're willing to say, who they're willing to aggressively target, myths they're keen to propagate.

Unfortunately, these tactics are now part of the lexicon and we, or rather the UK, will have to live with them including general elections and even council and other local elections (micro targetting works incredibly well for local issues).
So the fact that there may be cheating/psych-ops targetting etc is not to my thinking a reason to not hold a confirmation referendum. Now, from my personal circumstances I would love that to overturn the result (I won't get a vote despite this turning our lives upside down) BUT if it didn't, that would be it for me and I would then look for other options that could work for our family, whether that is PT citizenship, or less likely possible future Scottish citizenship. I cannot do this now (need to be a resident for 10 years) and our business will be severely impacted and our income from UK is already 1/3 down but we will survive. It's shit but at least the sun is shining and I may just drink myself to death before this ever plays out.
desertweasel

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:03 pm

Il Duce wrote:The only advantage I can see if we leave is that they won't be able to send car related fines to me over here.

I’ve been caught by roadside cameras several times in France and never heard a thing. Privately owned and leased/company cars.
thekungfury

Post by tanglerat @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Il Duce wrote:Ideally I'd like everything to return as it was before that bastard referendum.
Especially the GBP-Euro. €1.32

You and me both, bruv.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Dirk @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:23 pm

Brexiteers would have a field day with the fact that those supporting Remain most ardently on here are foreigners

Though Remainer who did hope that parliament would vote for another referendum, I think that chance has passed. I think whilst it has failings Boris' plan is better than hard Brexit and I can't see anyone else really pushing any other option. So that seems the best I can hope for atm
Dirk

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:40 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:The only advantage I can see if we leave is that they won't be able to send car related fines to me over here.

I’ve been caught by roadside cameras several times in France and never heard a thing. Privately owned and leased/company cars.

So have I over the years but this was in July.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:12 pm

My 'best' hope is that there's an extension and then a GE. The result of that election is that the LibDems become the second party and form a coalition government with a diminished Labour and instantly revoke article 50.

I used to be quite consigned to us leaving, but the more I'm exposed to the 'winners' awfulness the more I want to see their 'prize' taken away.

Won't happen though, sadly.
Last edited by ttwiggy on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttwiggy

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:41 pm

ttwiggy wrote:My 'best' hope is that there's an extension and then a GE. The result of that election is that the LibDems become the second party and form a coalition government with a diminished Labour and instantly revoke article 50.

Yes. That would be lovely. That CON-LIBDEM coalition was a good time in this country. A few things got done but the bastards had their balls tethered so they couldn't just do what they liked.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:48 pm

Hey span are you in any way related to Boris?

https://twitter.com/tezilyas/status/1179663683967950848?s=21
thekungfury

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:54 pm

thekungfury wrote:Hey span are you in any way related to Boris?

MASSIVE laugh!
Deuteronomy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Lol poor Span. She can’t help it she’s from Cornwall.
Doctor Congo

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Don't do drugs, cos drugs are bad. Mmmmkaaaay...

Careless Whisperer

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:02 am

thekungfury wrote:Hey span are you in any way related to Boris?

I feel appalled at myself that I had to watch that several times before I noticed the blokes he’d ignored.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by desertweasel @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:50 am

Dirk wrote:Brexiteers would have a field day with the fact that those supporting Remain most ardently on here are foreigners

Interested in your definition of foreigners here, is it people born overseas who live in the UK or people born in the UK who live overseas, or both?

And if it’s both where does that leave someone born in the USA with a Turkish Grandfather?
desertweasel

Post by Dirk @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:12 am

desertweasel wrote:
Dirk wrote:Brexiteers would have a field day with the fact that those supporting Remain most ardently on here are foreigners

Interested in your definition of foreigners here, is it people born overseas who live in the UK or people born in the UK who live overseas, or both?

And if it’s both where does that leave someone born in the USA with a Turkish Grandfather?

People who Brexiteers would consider foreigners - i.e. all of the above
Dirk

Post by S1K @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:34 am

Dirk wrote:
desertweasel wrote:

I don’t think your average Daily Mail gammon would necessarily regard Brits abroad as foreigners. They’d be more likely to say that Dave who has been living on the Costa Del Sol since 1975 has more of a stake in the country than Sanjay who has lived in the UK since he was three.
S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:46 am

S1K wrote:
Dirk wrote:
desertweasel wrote:

I don’t think your average Daily Mail gammon would necessarily regard Brits abroad as foreigners. They’d be more likely to say that Dave who has been living on the Costa Del Sol since 1975 has more of a stake in the country than Sanjay who has lived in the UK since he was three.

Being in a Brexit area I've spoken to a few of them about "sending them all back"

Turks?
Yup
No kebabs then.
Ah.
Indians?
Yup.
No curry then.
Ah.
Chinese.
Nah, they're ok.
Italians?
What? Why?
Because we're foreign and came over here and did exactly what the Turks are doing now.
Nah, you lot have been here for ages, you're ok.

I gave up then.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by minimoog @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:52 am

Did they have any opinions not based on fast food availability?

Wait, I've lived in south Wales. Of course they didn't.
minimoog

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:21 pm

minimoog wrote:Did they have any opinions not based on fast food availability?

Wait, I've lived in south Wales. Of course they didn't.

It's the easiest way to explain it to them.
Just after the referendum I tried to explain to them about EU funding for local projects but most of them didn't understand why there was a euro flag on the project hoardings.

In fact some of them didn't know what the fvcking blue flag was.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Dirk @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Could the LDs become the 2nd party?
The last 5 opinion polls in time order have placed Labours lead over LDs as
0%
2%
4%
1%
-1% (i.e. LDs have overtaken labour)
Whereas a recently as the start of Sept Labours lead was up around the 10% mark

I list this on this thread because clearly a large part of it is down to the way Labour is addressing (or running away from) a Brexit decision
Dirk

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:08 am

Il Duce wrote:One just arrived from the frogs- 3 bloody miles an hour over the limit ffs!

With rounding, that's 5kmh in foreign which sounds a lot faster!
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:32 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:One just arrived from the frogs- 3 bloody miles an hour over the limit ffs!

Fixed camera
70kph limit
79kph actual
5 or 6 kph allowance so maybe 4kmh over.

Funny thing was I saw it and was gently braking to 70 and thinking "oh it's not going to flash for a few kph over"
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:26 am

Il Duce wrote:

Funny thing was I saw it and was gently braking to 70 and thinking "oh it's not going to flash for a few kph over"

They are tw@ts for being right on the 5kmh button, any increment over it at they seem go off. Right bugger now all of my cars are on French plates.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:46 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

They are tw@ts for being right on the 5kmh button, any increment over it at they seem go off. Right bugger now all of my cars are on French plates.

The 5-6 kph allowance was given on paper. The actual camera goes off bang on 70.0000001 kph I think.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:58 am

Il Duce wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:

Fixed camera
70kph limit
79kph actual
5 or 6 kph allowance so maybe 4kmh over.

Laugh. So not 3mph the limit but actually 13% over the limit? Yes.
thekungfury

PreviousNext

Return to Political Corner