Some Brexit

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:07 am

Ok - it's a pain getting a fine from somewhere in France that you could maybe ignore but you end up paying because there's a marginal risk that your car will be impounded next time you go there if you don't pay. But...

It's a fine. Just a fine. No points on your licence. No insurance premium bump.

It's like a parking infraction over here, but with more fun built into the process of earning it.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:18 am

thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:One just arrived from the frogs- 3 bloody miles an hour over the limit ffs!

With rounding, that's 5kmh in foreign which sounds a lot faster!


Fixed camera
70kph limit
79kph actual
5 or 6 kph allowance so maybe 4kmh over.

Funny thing was I saw it and was gently braking to 70 and thinking "oh it's not going to flash for a few kph over"

Laugh. So not 3mph the limit but actually 13% over the limit? Yes.


You're needed on PH.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14005
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #tuttoandrabene

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:22 am

Greg66 wrote:Ok - it's a pain getting a fine from somewhere in France that you could maybe ignore but you end up paying because there's a marginal risk that your car will be impounded next time you go there if you don't pay. But...

It's a fine. Just a fine. No points on your licence. No insurance premium bump.

It's like a parking infraction over here, but with more fun built into the process of earning it.


I can't ignore it because the lease company pays it automatically and charges me more than the fine to do so.
Yes admittedly there are no points etc. and I wasn't complaining about that it's just the buggeryness of it for just 13% over.
That's like getting done for 79 on a motorway. Bugger! you'd say.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14005
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #tuttoandrabene

Re: Some Brexit

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Il Duce wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:One just arrived from the frogs- 3 bloody miles an hour over the limit ffs!

With rounding, that's 5kmh in foreign which sounds a lot faster!


Fixed camera
70kph limit
79kph actual
5 or 6 kph allowance so maybe 4kmh over.

Funny thing was I saw it and was gently braking to 70 and thinking "oh it's not going to flash for a few kph over"

Laugh. So not 3mph the limit but actually 13% over the limit? Yes.


You're needed on PH.

You need to pay a fine
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 37556
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:22 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:One just arrived from the frogs- 3 bloody miles an hour over the limit ffs!

With rounding, that's 5kmh in foreign which sounds a lot faster!


Fixed camera
70kph limit
79kph actual
5 or 6 kph allowance so maybe 4kmh over.

Funny thing was I saw it and was gently braking to 70 and thinking "oh it's not going to flash for a few kph over"

Laugh. So not 3mph the limit but actually 13% over the limit? Yes.


You're needed on PH.

You need to pay a fine


You need to read my post.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14005
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #tuttoandrabene

Re: Some Brexit

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 pm

I've been thinking about this impasse we have re Brexit.

I know that the chance of a second ref is slim, but how about this as an idea...

They agree to a second ref, but it's 'no deal' v 'remain'. You get round the 'we already voted to leave' issue by running this one properly, so it would need a super-majority (at least 60%) to trigger either option.

If neither option gains a 60%+ support then it goes back to parliament where every MP is obliged to vote for one option or the other, with the majority - even if it's only by one vote - carrying it.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Strawman @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Rumours are swirling that Corbyn would accept Ed Milliband as caretaker PN, so after another 5 years of stability under Cameron/May/Johnson we could finally see what chaos under Milliband is like.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40942
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:28 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:One just arrived from the frogs- 3 bloody miles an hour over the limit ffs!

With rounding, that's 5kmh in foreign which sounds a lot faster!


Fixed camera
70kph limit
79kph actual
5 or 6 kph allowance so maybe 4kmh over.

Funny thing was I saw it and was gently braking to 70 and thinking "oh it's not going to flash for a few kph over"

Laugh. So not 3mph the limit but actually 13% over the limit? Yes.

Clutchesque.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50267
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Strawman wrote:Rumours are swirling that Corbyn would accept Ed Milliband as caretaker PN, so after another 5 years of stability under Cameron/May/Johnson we could finally see what chaos under Milliband is like.


fcuking hell. If we’re goi g to go all Hot Tub Time Machine let’s have Cameron and Clegg! Miliband can be caretaker leader of the opposition (ironic, as the real one looks like a real caretaker).
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Greg66 wrote:
Strawman wrote:Rumours are swirling that Corbyn would accept Ed Milliband as caretaker PN, so after another 5 years of stability under Cameron/May/Johnson we could finally see what chaos under Milliband is like.


fcuking hell. If we’re goi g to go all Hot Tub Time Machine let’s have Cameron and Clegg! Miliband can be caretaker leader of the opposition (ironic, as the real one looks like a real caretaker).


Would he be that bad? If he’d won in 2015 we wouldn’t be in this mess now.
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 7231
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:One just arrived from the frogs- 3 bloody miles an hour over the limit ffs!

With rounding, that's 5kmh in foreign which sounds a lot faster!


Fixed camera
70kph limit
79kph actual
5 or 6 kph allowance so maybe 4kmh over.

Funny thing was I saw it and was gently braking to 70 and thinking "oh it's not going to flash for a few kph over"

Laugh. So not 3mph the limit but actually 13% over the limit? Yes.

Clutchesque.


Ridiculesque.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14005
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #tuttoandrabene

Re: Some Brexit

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm

I’ve had enough of this planet

Image
User avatar
DI Burnside
 
Posts: 18828
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Beds
Highscores: 7

Re: Some Brexit

Post by minimoog @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:29 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I’ve had enough of this planet


Image
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Strawman @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Image
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40942
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 pm

minimoog wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:I’ve had enough of this planet


Image


Watchmen?


I hate to admit it, but if the EU’s game is to reunite Ireland as the price of Brexit, then no. If we can’t stay, which is my preferred option by a few AUs, we leave as the UK of GB&NI, full stop.

I’m certain that had the choice in 2016 been remain or leave without NI and without a deal we still would be in. It’s ridiculous arguing that against a 2nd ref in this light.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:19 am

Greg66 wrote:I hate to admit it, but if the EU’s game is to reunite Ireland as the price of Brexit, then no. If we can’t stay, which is my preferred option by a few AUs, we leave as the UK of GB&NI, full stop.

I’m certain that had the choice in 2016 been remain or leave without NI and without a deal we still would be in. It’s ridiculous arguing that against a 2nd ref in this light.


Surely this is just another pile of lies dreamed up by thatcuntcummings to get the masses frothing again?
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: Some Brexit

Post by desertweasel @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Greg66 wrote:I hate to admit it, but if the EU’s game is to reunite Ireland as the price of Brexit, then no. If we can’t stay, which is my preferred option by a few AUs, we leave as the UK of GB&NI, full stop.

I’m certain that had the choice in 2016 been remain or leave without NI and without a deal we still would be in. It’s ridiculous arguing that against a 2nd ref in this light.


Surely this is just another pile of lies dreamed up by thatcuntcummings to get the masses frothing again?



Of course it is, the GFA is very clear on how a united Ireland could happen and unlike the UK the EU and Eire are upholding their part of that agreement.
desertweasel
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Some Brexit

Post by span @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:17 am

DI Burnside wrote:I’ve had enough of this planet

Yes I feel a bit like this.

The last couple of days in particular, with Trump's god delusion and the latest deeply depressing developments in Brexit, feel a little like a tipping point. I'm resolving to steer clear of news and social media for a few days because it's genuinely dispiriting and, since the likely outcomes are changing by the day, it's starting to feel like a big generator of emotional bleeuurgh that can just be avoided.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7655
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:54 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I’ve had enough of this planet

Image


That is just disgraceful.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17938
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:I’ve had enough of this planet

Image


That is just disgraceful.



I showed that to Germany last night and she said it’s the first time, jokes aside, she’s genuinely felt unwelcome/uncomfortable here.

Later she asked me to help her clear the table and I short back with “We didn’t win two world wars to be...” etc and she wasn’t impressed.

Honestly, I think it’s appalling. Hate the way things are at the moment.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39807
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:04 pm

it's what happens when cnuts are emboldened.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:22 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Later she asked me to help her clear the table and I short back with “We didn’t win two world wars to be...” etc and she wasn’t impressed.




ttwiggy wrote:it's what happens when cnuts are emboldened.


Well, quite.

Dis, I am so disappoint.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3919
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Auslander @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:30 pm

.
Last edited by Auslander on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auslander
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:11 pm

I am more and more convinced humanity will not survive the impact of humans.

The world needs a hard reset.
User avatar
DI Burnside
 
Posts: 18828
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Beds
Highscores: 7

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Strawman @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:34 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I am more and more convinced humanity will not survive the impact of humans.


Sort of agree but 'modern humans' the hunter gatherers lived in a state of harmony with the natural world for 70k years, it's only the last 2k years that things have accelerated towards annihilation, not that I'm advocting a return to loin cloths and caribou tracking, it's like mankind almost found the answers to how to live well but have overshot a fair bit, either we re-adjust or continue towrds an imminent wipeout.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40942
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Auslander @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 pm

.
Last edited by Auslander on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auslander
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:58 am

DI Burnside wrote:I am more and more convinced humanity will not survive the impact of humans.


Indeed.

DI Burnside wrote:The world needs a hard reset.


Right here, right now.
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: Some Brexit

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:45 am

Auslander wrote:
Strawman wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:I am more and more convinced humanity will not survive the impact of humans.


Sort of agree but 'modern humans' the hunter gatherers lived in a state of harmony with the natural world for 70k years, it's only the last 2k years that things have accelerated towards annihilation, not that I'm advocting a return to loin cloths and caribou tracking, it's like mankind almost found the answers to how to live well but have overshot a fair bit, either we re-adjust or continue towrds an imminent wipeout.


As a world population we need to stop multiplying quicker than the 'replacement rate'. The single biggest impact anyone in the developed world can have on their carbon footprint is to have fewer children than they need to replace themselves.

The sensible working and middle classes who tend to limit themselves to 0-2 children aren't a massive issue - and despite us driving flashy SUVs and sports cars, flying away on holiday etc., we have a much smaller footprint than the feckless benefits scroungers with a Zafira full of unruly kids.

The other thing is that the UK has been very responsible and worked hard to make real changes - whilst countries such as Germany have coal mines the size of small cities feeding their power stations. On the other hand, they do the whole 'reverse vend' recycling very much better than we do!

The big challenge is the developing world - still multiplying at a rate that's significantly higher than replcement rate as medial advances and foreign aid means they're not suffering massive infant mortality anymore - plus they are consuming resources at an incredible rate as they try to 'catch up' with the developed world. Is any climate change protester going to tell huge swathes of Africa and the Indian sub-continent that they will have to suffer a slower rate of development to save the planet?

And yes, I work for the world's largest oil company - so I am always accused of being biased. But we are investing heavily in finding the solutions (we own the UK's 2nd largest solar farm, for example) - I'm currently weighing up a move into our EV charging business, too.

You got sources for any of that? Much of it doesn't ring true - especially the part about the developing world. Yes, it's messy/dirty, and yes, they have a lot of kids, and yes, they're shit at recycling, but it's my understanding that The West consumes far more, per capita, than does The Developing World.

Also, using poor people to assuage your own environmental guilt? Class-ay! Citation needed.

tl;dr: I think you made a lot/all of this up, but would be happy to be educated.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 17440
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Paul H @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:16 am

Auslander wrote:Is any climate change protester going to tell huge swathes of Africa and the Indian sub-continent that they will have to suffer a slower rate of development to save the planet?


It won't be rate of development that matters, it'll be the operating system. Capitalism cannot solve the problem because it is the problem.
User avatar
Paul H
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 pm
Location: Mainly on the surface of the planet

PreviousNext

Return to Political Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Careless Whisperer, Google [Bot] and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles