Some words - cars

General car gossip.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by WD40 @ Tue May 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I have recently got quite attentive to tyre pressures I suppose, because I seem to have developed tyre paranoia and keep thinking they're a bit flat.

Coincidence.

Have you changed your fuel supplier/grade either?
WD40

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 06, 2014 1:53 pm

Nope.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dr Wolff @ Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Quick rant: Spent half the weekend trying to resurrect the cars; the Corsa/kid's car had gone green from lack of use & sitting under a tree, the white (I know!) Skoda was black and I have been getting rude comments on PH about the Griff. So cleaned all, inside & out, leather treatment & waxing for the Griff. All shining like a new pin.
At 6pm last night one of our dozy neighbours lights a fcuking bonfire and all three look as if they got nuclear fallout. :banghead:
Dr Wolff

Post by Turntable @ Tue May 06, 2014 2:02 pm

That's why I simply never bother washing cars.

On a related note- how the hell do other people keep cars with children in clean?
Within one 2 mile car journey with the new car, the backs of the seats were covered in footprints, the floormats were muddy. It wasn't even raining.
Do you just accept it and clean it periodically or do car-proud people make their children undress to get in a car
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue May 06, 2014 3:22 pm

I just accept it and make sure I drive the family car at least a few times before handing it over to my wife/kids.

The RR is now filthy inside and out - it was absolutely immaculate too and is unlikely to be that clean again until we come to sell it.
Deuteronomy

Post by Dr Wolff @ Tue May 06, 2014 3:25 pm

There are some cars you just don't let anyone else near...
Dr Wolff

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue May 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Duke Thrust wrote:I just accept it and make sure I drive the family car at least a few times before handing it over to my wife/kids.

The RR is now filthy inside and out - it was absolutely immaculate too and is unlikely to be that clean again until we come to sell it.

Shitsticks, it was bloody stunning.
Käsemeister

Post by deev @ Wed May 07, 2014 12:14 am

Drove to Inveraray for a wee trip the other day. The West Coast of Scotland is great for awesome driving roads. Anyway, how much fun is changing gear? I love it, is that sad? I don't have a particularly awesome car but double declutching and heel and toeing gives me some kind of weird pleasure. I hope paddles don't take over entirely, although I've never used one I can't imagine they'd be as much fun as doing it manually.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 am

deev wrote:Drove to Inveraray for a wee trip the other day. The West Coast of Scotland is great for awesome driving roads. Anyway, how much fun is changing gear? I love it, is that sad? I don't have a particularly awesome car but double declutching and heel and toeing gives me some kind of weird pleasure. I hope paddles don't take over entirely, although I've never used one I can't imagine they'd be as much fun as doing it manually.

Why do you double de-clutch when I assume your car has synchromeshs? Do you also stand at the front of the bonnet and pretend to crank the engine manually before getting in and secretly turning the key?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Wed May 07, 2014 8:21 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
deev wrote:Drove to Inveraray for a wee trip the other day. The West Coast of Scotland is great for awesome driving roads. Anyway, how much fun is changing gear? I love it, is that sad? I don't have a particularly awesome car but double declutching and heel and toeing gives me some kind of weird pleasure. I hope paddles don't take over entirely, although I've never used one I can't imagine they'd be as much fun as doing it manually.

Why do you double de-clutch when I assume your car has synchromeshs? Do you also stand at the front of the bonnet and pretend to crank the engine manually before getting in and secretly turning the key?

Laugh
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tumescent Acorn @ Wed May 07, 2014 11:22 am

Did you mean some rev matching on big down changes, or proper into neutral rev matching double declutching ?
Tumescent Acorn

Post by deev @ Wed May 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Tumescent Acorn wrote:Did you mean some rev matching on big down changes, or proper into neutral rev matching double declutching ?

the latter, I used to change gear without the clutch on the old Puma from time to time. Which was a bit daft really but in the end I could do it with zero crunching.
Last edited by deev on Wed May 07, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Wed May 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

because a) it's fun and b) it saves wear on the synchromesh c) it means you don't use the cars momentum to speed up the shaft meaning you get a smoother shift and you don't unsettle the car, useful if you end up changing gear mid corner for some reason and useful on bumpy roads d) it's handy when you have to drive a car/van that's got a fcuked synchro.
deev
Banger King

Post by Pigeon @ Wed May 07, 2014 11:41 pm

deev wrote:...it's handy when you have to drive a car/van that's got a fcuked synchro.

Agreed. Have driven loads of cars where the choice is either feeling like something's going to break changing from third to second or double-declutching.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Dirk @ Wed May 07, 2014 11:57 pm

deev wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

because a) it's fun and b) it saves wear on the synchromesh c) it means you don't use the cars momentum to speed up the shaft meaning you get a smoother shift and you don't unsettle the car, useful if you end up changing gear mid corner for some reason and useful on bumpy roads d) it's handy when you have to drive a car/van that's got a fcuked synchro.

a, b and c is achieved by heel and toe (or left foot braking).
For d) get it repaired. And how many people have ever experienced that anyway?
I'll bet the only 2 on here are the ones that say double de-clutch is useful are the only 2 that have experienced that. Maybe practising double de-clutch causes the synchromesh to fail. If anyone else who doesn't double de-clutch has experienced synchromesh failure then I will do a Dis and BTFD
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by deev @ Thu May 08, 2014 12:05 am

My synchro is fine, have you never ended up driving a shagged van with one though? Heel and toe is essentially just an added complication to DDC, I do that too if needs be anyway.
deev
Banger King

Post by Pigeon @ Thu May 08, 2014 4:40 am

Arthur Scherbius wrote:For d) get it repaired. And how many people have ever experienced that anyway?
I'll bet the only 2 on here are the ones that say double de-clutch is useful are the only 2 that have experienced that. Maybe practising double de-clutch causes the synchromesh to fail. If anyone else who doesn't double de-clutch has experienced synchromesh failure then I will do a Dis and BTFD

Oh, plenty of people who don't double-declutch have experienced it. Lots and lots of people, if the sample of people whose cars I've driven is even vaguely representative; most of them probably don't even know what double-declutching is, and "sticky second" is so common that I tend to be surprised when it isn't the case.

It doesn't apply to my own car because it's an automatic, but if it did, I'd still not bother repairing it and just double-declutch as necessary instead. Reason being that it'll go on for years like that without anything actually breaking, and taking the gearbox off and apart and putting it all back together again is a huge massive pain in the arse and just not worth doing for so minor a reason (unless some unrelated calamity makes it necessary to take the box apart anyway). Chances are the bodywork will fall apart before a sticky synchro gets beyond the point of being merely a nuisance.

Heel and toe is of course necessary to maintain steady deceleration while double-declutching. There is, of course (or at least there was the last time I looked) a large contingent on PH which prefers to achieve that end by decelerating with the clutch out and then block-changing once you've come off the brakes. That can be valid for the case of hammering it down back roads when there's no point going down the gears because no sooner had you engaged one than you'd want the next one down, but driving normally I am either spending significant time in intermediate gears while decelerating or just not needing to drop more than one anyway, so I've only ever really found it useful when driving a hired van in which the gearchange was utter dogshit and even moving it into neutral was a battle with the stick.

The related technique of driving without using the clutch at all is also very useful when you're in the middle of nowhere and you put your foot on the clutch and something goes bang and your foot goes to the floor without any resistance, as I can attest.

FWIW I learnt to drive in a Morris Minor and you have to double-declutch to get into first in them, although first is so low you rarely want it apart from starting off.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu May 08, 2014 7:58 am

deev wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

because a) it's fun and b) it saves wear on the synchromesh c) it means you don't use the cars momentum to speed up the shaft meaning you get a smoother shift and you don't unsettle the car, useful if you end up changing gear mid corner for some reason and useful on bumpy roadsd) it's handy when you have to drive a car/van that's got a fcuked synchro.

a-c irrelevant/wrong.
d: Do you have a fcuked synchro?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by deev @ Thu May 08, 2014 8:09 pm

No, my synchro is fine. If you think a)-c) are irrelevant that's up to you, if you think they're wrong however I'd love to hear why they're wrong.
deev
Banger King

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu May 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Why not just HnT?
Käsemeister

Post by Turntable @ Fri May 09, 2014 10:09 am

Why not just change gear by pressing your foot down on the clutch, moving the gearstick with your hand and letting your foot of the clutch?
I do that and can achieve an extremely satisfactory gear change which I define as one that changes the gear into the gear I wanted.

All you lot talking about double declutching, HnT and stuff like that sound like downers having a squabble about who has the most spherical head.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri May 09, 2014 11:34 am

deev wrote:No, my synchro is fine. If you think a)-c) are irrelevant that's up to you, if you think they're wrong however I'd love to hear why they're wrong.

A) wrong
B) irrelevant
C) irrelevant.

To elaborate on A), maybe we're just different.

To me, 'Fun' whilst driving is something like taking a performance vehicle and keeping in its powerband/sweetspot whilst negotiating a nice set of bends. If I get my knee down/the back out, it's a bonus.

I don't think that depressing the clutch pedal once more than necessary, during a gear change in a Hyundai, gets close to that myself but we're all different etc
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tumescent Acorn @ Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 pm

I never bother with proper double declutching since the synchromesh works just fine.
Also I mainly drive an auto.

You have to be driving very hard to require DDC in order to avoid breaking traction though.

To be fair though when I first had the 993 the synchromesh was fcuked on 5th so I had to use double declutching. Or bypass it straight into 6th.
Porsche seem to have their own synchromesh type.
Tumescent Acorn

Post by Rod Rammage @ Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 am

Now look, I like petrol as much as the next man. But I'm strangely attracted to the idea of an all electric car.

ALL electric. Not hybrid.

I like the idea of whooshing about silently, like I am in Logan's Run. Ideally I will be wearing a white jump-suit and visor-glasses like Cyclops from X-Men.

I appreciate the set-backs of these cars makes them stupidly impractical.

I see a chap silently motate around my estate in a Nissan Leaf, which is horrid-looking.

Of the current selection I like the Renault Zoe best:

Zoe.jpg
Zoe.jpg (5.57 KiB) Viewed 14901 times

Zoe2.jpg
Zoe2.jpg (127.27 KiB) Viewed 14901 times

But then I found this article, which just about hammers the last nail in the e-coffin:

Confession: I love the Renault Zoe. It’s not an electric supercar or a Tesla, but it’s a great electric car for the common person.

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/02/16/189-new-renault-zoe-lease-price-uk/

Get thee to fcuk.
Rod Rammage

Post by Barbarianna @ Wed May 14, 2014 9:41 am

968 wrote:Saw a 435d Msport in the BMW garage the other day and it was gorgeous. I am very very tempted

Whats up with that '8?
You always about to spooge over upper mid-range cars. It's gotta stop! Dodnt you get a Q5 or somthing?

The 4 series is pretty in the flesh IMO. Saw one in that new BMW blue colour- a sort of darker shade of the old Estoril blue, another great colour from back in the day.

BMW do do good blue.

That last sentence sounds oddly compelling. It will be chanted by me for about half an hour on the way to work, in the style of an angry Congolese (interpretive- I have never heard an angry Congolese). Ah, the privacy of a car!
Barbarianna

Post by Il Duce @ Wed May 14, 2014 10:16 am

I drove a Nissan Leaf.

It looked like shit.
It drove much better than I thought:
Exit roundabout... good handling... accelerate... no noise... oh this feels slow... check speedo... 60mph!!!!!
You can charge it for free in loads of places and at home.
The range is about 70 miles so it's still not an option.
Oh and it looks like a robber's dog.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by WD40 @ Wed May 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Norman D. Cheese wrote:Saw one in that new BMW blue colour- a sort of darker shade of the old Estoril blue, another great colour from back in the day.

It is the same Estoril Blue.
WD40

Post by Barbarianna @ Wed May 14, 2014 11:33 pm

WD40 wrote:
Norman D. Cheese wrote:Saw one in that new BMW blue colour- a sort of darker shade of the old Estoril blue, another great colour from back in the day.

Really? It seems darker. But maybe i got older, so things seem darker and smaller, or maybe just further away and less well lit, like my peanus. Or Curly Wurly Bars. Same thing
Barbarianna

Post by moleamol @ Thu May 15, 2014 12:27 am

Norman D. Cheese wrote:
WD40 wrote:

Really? It seems darker. But maybe i got older, so things seem darker and smaller, or maybe just further away and less well lit, like my peanus. Or Curly Wurly Bars. Same thing

Agreed, it's darker. But isn't everything these days!
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu May 15, 2014 5:56 am

moleamol wrote:
Norman D. Cheese wrote:
WD40 wrote:

Agreed, it's darker. But isn't everything these days!

Oh. My. God.
Deuteronomy

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat