Some words - cars

General car gossip.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Dirk @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:02 am

thekungfury wrote:It’s always funny seeing £300k(?) worth of cars in front of nice but fairly modest houses.

Near me there is an ordinary house with several very good cars parked outside. There is a 512TR that’s too big to fit in his garage so it sits under a shabby tarpaulin.

What would a house like that be in Anglia db?

It was my first thought too. But then I thought more and decided that everyone can make their own priorities. I can see why someone would want to spend a high proportion of the wealth on a car (or cars); or a yacht or anything that bring then enjoyment. Personally I wouldn't want to live there (did live live in a similar type of housing once and wouldn't want to go back), but we are all different. Which is good
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:23 am

dirtyboy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:What would a house like that be in Anglia db?

Not sure to be honest, 500k perhaps?

Pretty good value tbf. Sometimes I love and hate living in the SE.

Pic explains more too. My money wouldn't go there but each to their own.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:42 am

If no-one is buying anything Me. stop posting on here I don't know what they are looking for your car was better than expected and the extra performance saved my life, you couldn't explain it but although the car is in a secured compund and I had to replace one front tyre it was mint when I left it there the last time I saw it 2 weeks ago it was filthy and the receptionist didn't know it was there, I have both keys. If they don't buy anything now they don't want to for some reason connected to either of us, I didn't realise I was the person with least money buying your secretly world's fastest ever diesel, that somehow uses less fuel than a petrol Audi A3 2L of similar age and mileage, a lot less if just cruising, I was suprised you knew Thames Valley police, now I have no job, no income, no car, so if you came here expecting me to be posted ever again, you are posting in the worng place, also facebook, see how many posts I have made on there in the last 10 years? I don't know their terms and conditions. RJ sold me his own personal car for £1300.
Strawman

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:53 am

Why was your car impounded Strawms?
Deuteronomy

Post by dirtyboy @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:06 pm

Il Duce wrote:Looks like it was a nice area until he built all of those Lego houses.
I have fields around my houses in Italy and the last thing I'd do would create nearby neighbours.

Hell is other people.

We're all different aren't we?

The money made from building nearby neighbours is what allows him to be driving what he does I guess? Means to an end.
dirtyboy

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:36 pm

dirtyboy wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Looks like it was a nice area until he built all of those Lego houses.
I have fields around my houses in Italy and the last thing I'd do would create nearby neighbours.

Hell is other people.

We're all different aren't we?

The money made from building nearby neighbours is what allows him to be driving what he does I guess? Means to an end.

I suppose if he spends more time in his cars than his house it does make sense.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Me. @ Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:00 pm

Started work on the Audi 80 Avant V6 a few days back, cambelt has been done but still not starting. Traced voltage to pump and suspected the in-tank-pump was knackered. Turns out it's gone and melted due to being stood ten years! Bastard thing....what a mess to get out, to separate from the housing etc. I've ordered a new left front wing and hopefully someone I know can source me a full pump assembly instead of trying to rebuild this mess. I hate old petrol...it stinks and the black tar it makes out of any rubber components is a nightmare to get off.
Same colour as the coupe so will make a nice addition and they are a lot harder to find than any other 80 version, especially in V6 form. Interior is in sport velour...with sunroof and a few decent extras. Quite looking forward to getting it done. Paint is mainly salvageable but at least three panels need to be done. The coupe was actually in worse condition when I bought it so that bodes well for the Avant. (kiss of death, right there).

804.jpg
804.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 401 times

aud1 (2).jpg
aud1 (2).jpg (211.63 KiB) Viewed 401 times

802.jpg
802.jpg (87.98 KiB) Viewed 401 times
Me.

Post by S1K @ Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:14 pm

I love velour upholstery.
S1K

Post by Me. @ Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:45 pm

I much prefer it to leather, not sticky, or cold, or cracked.....and your arse doesn't freeze in winter and boil in summer.
Me.

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Love that Audi Coupe. I’ve always liked the shape of them.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:00 pm

S1K wrote:I love velour upholstery.

SPORT velour, please.
Käsemeister

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:35 pm

The coupé looks great. They're not great to drive though I thought?
manfromdelmonte

Post by Me. @ Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:14 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:The coupé looks great. They're not great to drive though I thought?

Oddly, the first one I had was a 16V 2.0 and was tuned, went well but felt clumsy. Then I had a 2.6 V6 Cabrio, felt slow, glacial. This one for some reason feels lighter, more nimble and certainly pulls far better than the figures would lead you to believe. I have a bunch of similar period/performance cars at the moment....BMW E30 318iS (136bhp), Alfa 145 1.8TS (144bhp), polo GTi (125bhp) and Merc C200 K sport (165 BHP) and this is very similar in terms of pull, torque, general feel. The car feels like it's a lot younger mainly due to new everything underneath, but it's pleasant to drive....not a chore like the others I've had. It's a bit numb through the corners though but that's compared mainly to the Alfa which is a laugh.
Me.

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:18 am

I think the coupes look amazing, they did a Turbo version as well and it was nose heavy but sounded great.

A made had the V6 convertible and it was astonishingly bad on fuel.
Deuteronomy

Post by Me. @ Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:31 am

A very good customer of mine recently took over their dads VW golf 2.0 TDi 2015 with only 20 000 miles, they were sent a letter by VW for a Free Health check which came back saying the main crank oil seal had failed, contaminated the cambelt etc and required a fix at a cost of £1200. I told them to tell them to speak to VW UKJ and get Goodwill thrown in to reduce the cost of the now due cambelt. Listers replied they had considered the case and were prepared to cut £240 off the cost as the cambelt was overdue and that the failure of the seal was only 'Slightly premature'.....so I'll send VW a message this morning asking them what their idea of a 'normal' age/distance is for oil seal failure.
Me.

Post by desertweasel @ Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:38 pm

VW have had a few mares like this, friend of mine had a 3 and a tiny bit year old golf 1.4 with total engine failure, took 3 months to get them to cough for a new engine. It is very common and may be related to poor fuel but they were having to fight vw constantly to get them to admit it.
desertweasel

Post by stuart @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Saw the new Lamborghini SUV in the car park today. It certainly has presence.

But very odd seing such a big SUV with a lambo badge, it just doesn't seem right.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Pigeon @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 pm

And anyway Lamborghini started off making tractors.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Strawman @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:08 pm

I always thought the military Hummer was sort of based on that but with a diesel engine, easier to supply since tanks, trucks etc. already use diesel.
Strawman

Post by mervynp @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:I think the coupes look amazing, they did a Turbo version as well and it was nose heavy but sounded great.

A made had the V6 convertible and it was astonishingly bad on fuel.

That would be the 5 cylinder S2 - I had the Avant version which was fantastic in a straight line, sounded great and was built like a tank but thirsty, very nose heavy and woefully underbraked. Looked fantastic as well but I had to get rid of it eventually as I got leg cramp on long journeys as the pedal position just didn't work for me and I was commuting from the west mids to Heathrow T5 every week and I needed something more modern and comfortable.
mervynp

Post by Me. @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Just bought this for no other reason than it is in such good condition with only 45000 miles and a massive history. Volvo 440Si 1.8. Still has keep-fit windows. The far too under-wheeled stance is making me seek alloys out to fill the arches.

4402.jpg
4402.jpg (87.88 KiB) Viewed 314 times

4404.jpg
4404.jpg (93.97 KiB) Viewed 314 times

4403.jpg
4403.jpg (96.46 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Me.

Post by Me. @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:22 pm

I was searching for some car keys today....for the Ferrari which was being picked up to go to the new owner, and for a Renault Scenic. Found the Ferrari ones then remembered....I'd left the Scenic key card in the car as I'd left it running to charge the battery.....three days ago!!!! Pointless running outside to see if the motor has melted or not, way too late for that....ignition lights all on and I try to start it and fortunately it had ran out of the 10L of fuel I had put in it the day before. Still remains to be seen once I put fresh fuel in it ...if the motor is fine....should be, it was a good runner.....and the battery is now FULLY charged.
Me.

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:28 am

Me. wrote:I was searching for some car keys today....for the Ferrari which was being picked up to go to the new owner, and for a Renault Scenic. Found the Ferrari ones then remembered....I'd left the Scenic key card in the car as I'd left it running to charge the battery.....three days ago!!!! Pointless running outside to see if the motor has melted or not, way too late for that....ignition lights all on and I try to start it and fortunately it had ran out of the 10L of fuel I had put in it the day before. Still remains to be seen once I put fresh fuel in it ...if the motor is fine....should be, it was a good runner.....and the battery is now FULLY charged.

You lunatic Me. - I'm sure it'll be fine though, those French cars have a reputation for robustness.
Deuteronomy

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:40 am

Is that the normal way of keeping the battery topped up for a dealer like you? I'd have thought some kind of proper battery charger would be cheaper/better.
manfromdelmonte

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:00 pm

I don't usually chip in to car discussion here cos living in Ireland is kind of sad for enthusiasts. Read, expensive. Tax, insurance, bad roads...

But I have the new car glee glow from the weekend. New car to me that is.

A ten year old Mondeo, 107k miles, 1.8 tdci in good Nick and well taken care of. Hard to find hereabouts.

New car glee glow!
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:42 pm

I drove up from Kent to the Lake District and back this weekend in the Jag. Averaged 56mpg according to the car and with the range left in the tank would have been able to cover over 700 miles on one tank of diseasal. Pretty chuffed with that.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Me. @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:52 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:Is that the normal way of keeping the battery topped up for a dealer like you? I'd have thought some kind of proper battery charger would be cheaper/better.

Well....normally if it's a good battery I'd just jump start the car and let it idle or take it for a run as opposed to moving six or seven out of the way to park next to the charge station. But age got the better of me.
Me.

Post by Me. @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:52 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:Is that the normal way of keeping the battery topped up for a dealer like you? I'd have thought some kind of proper battery charger would be cheaper/better.

Well....normally if it's a good battery I'd just jump start the car and let it idle or take it for a run as opposed to moving six or seven out of the way to park next to the charge station. But age got the better of me.
Me.

Post by Me. @ Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:11 pm

Getting this back on the road since my legs are getting too bloody painful to drive a manual most days. Ex SA 28500 mile with factory air and nappa leather. Swapping the alloys for similar but lower offset ones as these rub slightly.

w1242.jpg
w1242.jpg (65.11 KiB) Viewed 94 times

w1243.jpg
w1243.jpg (97.29 KiB) Viewed 94 times

w1244.jpg
w1244.jpg (92.95 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Me.

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:48 pm

Last of the properly built Mercs. Amazing how similar the steering wheel design is to slightly earlier BMWs too.
Käsemeister

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat