Some words - cars

General car gossip.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:16 pm

On this occasion, it’s a combination of a broken window motor, odometer battery, gearbox front seal and diff leaking.

It’s not the engine, that’s pretty sound. It usually goes for a couple of years costing about 600 at service then something bigger comes up. Last time it was the outriggers. It’s a 26 year old car so obviously stuff is going to need to be done, I guess I just need to decide if I want to carry on doing it.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Nice. I always wanted one, nearly bought one, would love one in the future.

Rusty chassis put me off, the rest of the running gear seems pretty good I thought. I think you'd save a whole bunch of cash if you could sort out the niggly issues yourself, but that's not always an option.
Last edited by manfromdelmonte on Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:44 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:On this occasion, it’s a combination of a broken window motor, odometer battery, gearbox front seal and diff leaking.

It’s not the engine, that’s pretty sound. It usually goes for a couple of years costing about 600 at service then something bigger comes up. Last time it was the outriggers. It’s a 26 year old car so obviously stuff is going to need to be done, I guess I just need to decide if I want to carry on doing it.

I have been spending an inordinate time about cars, and what makes me like a car and what makes me dislike one. Kind of the thing I suggest to TT he should do, but he doesn’t.

I’ve made some progress, I think.

Things that make me like a car: a large powerful engine that produces a shit ton of power. My faves: the Aston (V12), the S8 (V10), the A8, and the FFRR (V8 and V8SC). Being able to drive fast, and smoothly. The Rolf has a ratty noise like a Suburu and is a turbo (see below - ugh). The 996 turbo sounded shit and was also a turbo, off boost: insipid.

I’ve come to realising that I like the idea of a manual more than I like a manual. I can’t change gear as fast or as smoothly (the latter is more important to me) as an automated manual. But I don’t care much for a full auto because of their habit of being one gear too high when you don’t want them to. So I’m a fan of the worst of all worlds, the semi automatic. Maybe even the more primitive single clutch version than the fancy double clutch DSG/PDK/DCT etc that makes everything super easy.

Things I don’t like. A crashy ride. The 996 turbo was like driving a kick up the arse. I’d love an S2 Elise or an Exige but I bet they ride like a go kart with knackered springs. At least compared to my baseline. Also: a ride that is too soft. The RR is good in lots of ways but it wallows when really pushing on (it’s actually a really good tool to teach the discipline of braking in a straight line before you turn in). And fcuking turbos. The Rolf has really nailed that to the floor for me. I fcuking hate turbo’d engines. I don’t like the anemia when they are off boost and I don’t like the way they wake up suddenly when the boost kicks in.

Two things I like which seem contradictory: a car that requires engagement and concentration and which might bite back if you don’t do that. The Aston’s good for that. Very analogue. The 996 was shit for it, and that was the main reason I sold it. The Rolf is starting down that road for me too. But the other thing is a car which is sure footed in the wet. The S8 and the A8 for all their bulk were ridiculously sure footed in bad conditions. I liked that. So maybe I’m just not good enough a driver to “play” with the Aston in the wet. Or I lack the cojones. Or both. Who knows.

I’m kind of heading towards thinking that the Aston is my dry days car and I want a more engaging wet days car than the Rolf, which is stupid x10 because the Rolf delivers tenfold in that department and I really doubt something costing more with more ccs and fewer seats is going to outdo it. I end up going round and round car ads not really knowing what I am looking for not looking at buying decisions that make zero financial sense.
Greg66

Post by S1K @ Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:47 pm

Alpine 110
S1K

Some words - cars

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:49 pm

If you’ve got zero financial sense, I’ll take the Rolf off you for £5 and a pound of grapes?
Last edited by Doctor Congo on Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Congo

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:59 pm

S1K wrote:Alpine 110

Ugly stick car.
Greg66

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:02 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:If you’ve got zero financial sense, I’ll take the Rolf off you for £5 and a pound of grapes?

Not that keen on grapes, TBH Doc.

A lot of this is also about feeling like I have something to show for working. Even though every time I “reward” myself in that way I just reset my sights on the next target. I’m sure a psychologist could have a field day with that sort of thing. The bastard.
Greg66

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:52 am

Greg66 wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:If you’ve got zero financial sense, I’ll take the Rolf off you for £5 and a pound of grapes?

Not that keen on grapes, TBH Doc.

A lot of this is also about feeling like I have something to show for working. Even though every time I “reward” myself in that way I just reset my sights on the next target. I’m sure a psychologist could have a field day with that sort of thing. The bastard.
Could be a thread on its own......

FWIW I am now quite utilitarian about the cars we have. I’m sad that it’s gone that way but I spend so much time driving and ferrying kids around that performance is less of a concern and it’s more important to have a nice place to sit in.

Having said that, there’s always a flicker there, hence after I’ve dumped this Volvo I’ll probably get another Rolf as it’s a rest compromise. Must admit I can’t remember there being too much turbo lag but it was a while ago.....
Doctor Congo

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:20 am

On the subject of selling cars because you're not using them, I'm going to sell the RS4.

Since early March I've only put 3 tanks of petrol in it and one of those was because I drove into central London and back the other week. I find myself dropping the kids off in school in it "just so it has a run" - which is a pain as it means moving all their school shit over from the Golf.

I'm sad as it's well lush but completely pointless having it sit here for weeks on end:

Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:29 am

Greg66 wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:On this occasion, it’s a combination of a broken window motor, odometer battery, gearbox front seal and diff leaking.

I have been spending an inordinate time about cars, and what makes me like a car and what makes me dislike one. Kind of the thing I suggest to TT he should do, but he doesn’t.

Things that make me like a car: a large powerful engine that produces a shit ton of power. My faves: the Aston (V12), the S8 (V10), the A8, and the FFRR (V8 and V8SC). Being able to drive fast, and smoothly. The Rolf has a ratty noise like a Suburu and is a turbo (see below - ugh). The 996 turbo sounded shit and was also a turbo, off boost: insipid.

I’ve come to realising that I like the idea of a manual more than I like a manual. I can’t change gear as fast or as smoothly (the latter is more important to me) as an automated manual. But I don’t care much for a full auto because of their habit of being one gear too high when you don’t want them to. So I’m a fan of the worst of all worlds, the semi automatic. Maybe even the more primitive single clutch version than the fancy double clutch DSG/PDK/DCT etc that makes everything super easy.

Things I don’t like. A crashy ride. The 996 turbo was like driving a kick up the arse. I’d love an S2 Elise or an Exige but I bet they ride like a go kart with knackered springs. At least compared to my baseline. Also: a ride that is too soft. The RR is good in lots of ways but it wallows when really pushing on (it’s actually a really good tool to teach the discipline of braking in a straight line before you turn in). And fcuking turbos. The Rolf has really nailed that to the floor for me. I fcuking hate turbo’d engines. I don’t like the anemia when they are off boost and I don’t like the way they wake up suddenly when the boost kicks in.

Two things I like which seem contradictory: a car that requires engagement and concentration and which might bite back if you don’t do that. The Aston’s good for that. Very analogue. The 996 was shit for it, and that was the main reason I sold it. The Rolf is starting down that road for me too. But the other thing is a car which is sure footed in the wet. The S8 and the A8 for all their bulk were ridiculously sure footed in bad conditions. I liked that. So maybe I’m just not good enough a driver to “play” with the Aston in the wet. Or I lack the cojones. Or both. Who knows.

I’m kind of heading towards thinking that the Aston is my dry days car and I want a more engaging wet days car than the Rolf, which is stupid x10 because the Rolf delivers tenfold in that department and I really doubt something costing more with more ccs and fewer seats is going to outdo it. I end up going round and round car ads not really knowing what I am looking for not looking at buying decisions that make zero financial sense.

Hmmm, so you want a large engine, fast, no turbos but AWD as a wet days car - but also handsome, practical and won't depreciate...

Hmmmmmmmm

>eyes glance upwards<
Deuteronomy

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:49 am

The only thing that comes to mind is a Bentley Continental GT, but, quite vulgar, although the new ones are more handsome.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Bodhi @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:18 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:The only thing that comes to mind is a Bentley Continental GT, but, quite vulgar, although the new ones are more handsome.

They are sooooo vulgar aren't they. But I'm obsessed with them and desperately want one.

Greggers, buy my E63, it's an unbelievably good car and despite having a bi-turbo V8 it doesn't have any of the awful turbo issues you dislike. Anyway buy it and then I can get a GTC.

Ugh I'm so Essex.
Bodhi

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:33 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

Hmmm, so you want a large engine, fast, no turbos but AWD as a wet days car - but also handsome, practical and won't depreciate...

Hmmmmmmmm

>eyes glance upwards<

This is extremely annoying Doots, because you know how much I hate to agree with anyone, and on the list of anyone, you are right at the very top of the list. But last night in bed it dawned on me that the car I should have bought instead of the Rolf, which might then have kept me quiet for a little bit longer, is a cnutting B fcuking 8 R fcuking S fcuking 4 cnut. That's what you have, isn't it?

I'm already zeroing in on the terrible misalignment of the lower piece of chrome on the nearside rear window frame. I suppose that's the clearest evidence possible that your car has been in a major shunt, barrel rolled, and then repaired with a Pritt stick, isn't it?

Ok. I give in. Tell me about your car.

Tell me everything.

Hasn't Mrs Doots got a Rolf already? I think you'd be best off with his and hers matchings Rolfs, personally. Can't think why you haven't thought of that already.

ETA: PM me if you'd rather keep the shame of the barrel roll between us.

<wink>

<another wink for "PM">
Last edited by Greg66 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg66

Post by Dr Wolff @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:35 am

I consider myself lucky, then. My 19 year old Griffith 500SE seems to get by with £600 worth of servicing a year and very few issues. Apart from the fact that it is a magnet for every blind old fart to reverse into. I think anyone with less than 45 degrees of lateral rotation in the neck should be immediately banned from driving.
Dr Wolff

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:37 am

Doctor Congo wrote:FWIW I am now quite utilitarian about the cars we have. I’m sad that it’s gone that way but I spend so much time driving and ferrying kids around that performance is less of a concern and it’s more important to have a nice place to sit in.

Having said that, there’s always a flicker there, hence after I’ve dumped this Volvo I’ll probably get another Rolf as it’s a rest compromise. Must admit I can’t remember there being too much turbo lag but it was a while ago.....

Now the kids are a bit older and we have the RR for Uni runs I have have no excuse not to revert back to type and give in the want. I fought it hard when we ought to have been in the utilitarian phase though. I suppose big saloons and then the RR were my concession.

It's not so much the turbo lag (which I agree isn't really noticeable) I don't like as the non linear power delivery. Pootle, shove, pootle, shove...
Greg66

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:38 am

Bodhi wrote:
manfromdelmonte wrote:The only thing that comes to mind is a Bentley Continental GT, but, quite vulgar, although the new ones are more handsome.

They are sooooo vulgar aren't they. But I'm obsessed with them and desperately want one.

Greggers, buy my E63, it's an unbelievably good car and despite having a bi-turbo V8 it doesn't have any of the awful turbo issues you dislike. Anyway buy it and then I can get a GTC.

Ugh I'm so Essex.

I'm ashamed to say that those fast Mercs are like anti-priapism medicine for me. Not even the slightest hint of movement. Dunno why. Just is. Almost as if I had everything blown off in the 'Nam by a landmine.
Greg66

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:52 am

RS4 sold.
Last edited by Deuteronomy on Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:58 am

Greg66 wrote:I’m kind of heading towards thinking that the Aston is my dry days car and I want a more engaging wet days car than the Rolf, which is stupid x10 because the Rolf delivers tenfold in that department and I really doubt something costing more with more ccs and fewer seats is going to outdo it. I end up going round and round car ads not really knowing what I am looking for not looking at buying decisions that make zero financial sense.

I don't understand why you'd want a car to be engaging in the wet. Where are you driving in the wet when you want to be engaged?

I once followed an old Capri in the wet and whilst my car was planted he was skidding (deliberately) all over the place and seemed to be having a whale of a time.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Turntable @ Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:25 am

Deuteronomy wrote:On the subject of selling cars because you're not using them, I'm going to sell the RS4.
]

I cannot tell you how nearly I texted you when I was looking! Your car was the answer
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 am

I drove past a horror smash on the M25 this morning. It was closed in the opposite direction for several hours due to a collision between an ambulance, car and lorry. By the time I drove past they were in the measuring up phase and all casualties removed, but the car looked like a crushed cube. Apparently the driver only suffered leg injuries which absolutely astounded me.

Was a shocking sight.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by S1K @ Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:16 am

The safety standards of cars have improved so far since we were all born it’s amazing. The introduction of NCAP and more real world crash testing scenarios have made a huge difference in particular.
S1K

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Turntable wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:On the subject of selling cars because you're not using them, I'm going to sell the RS4.
]

I cannot tell you how nearly I texted you when I was looking! Your car was the answer

How are you getting on with yours now?
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:28 am

Deuteronomy wrote:[
How are you getting on with yours now?

Loving it actually.
Its not at all what I expected. Its very slow and cumbersome but it is so luxurious and nice to drive. Its is far more gt than performance car and I like it for that.
Definitely glad I chose it because its not like anything Ive owned (except oddly I liken it most to the Maserati 4200) so the novelty is also contributing.
Turntable

Post by S1K @ Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:40 pm

How is a 270 mph* car slow and cumbersome TT?

*(manufacturer’s claimed maximum speed, screenshot below)

S1K

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:23 pm

Hahahaha

Excellent tab work.
Bodhi

Post by Dirk @ Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Bodhi wrote:Hahahaha

Excellent tab work.

Well spotted, I had missed it!
Dirk

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm getting old, and possibly stoopid too...

Not content with driving a diesel estate, the impending winter and need for a new set of tyres to be fitted shortly sent me off on a tangent looking for some OEM smaller wheels for it so I could fit some squidgy, tractor-walled winter tyres for the next few months. During that search, I found a set of immaculate wheels with a set of all-season tyres with good tread.

So this winter, I'll be fitting ugly, tiny wheels with part-worn tyres. I may as well start darning my worn out socks and patching old jumpers...
Careless Whisperer

Post by Turntable @ Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:49 am

S1K wrote:How is a 270 mph* car slow and cumbersome TT?

*(manufacturer’s claimed maximum speed, screenshot below)

[]

:biglaugh: at tab work.
On the serious point about its slowness, I think it demonstrates why, in addition to economy, cars are increasingly turbo charged.
Its 0-60 is only about 4.5 seconds despite its 473 bhp. In contrast the GTR I used to have was very similar power and very similar weight and was nearly a third quicker to 60.
Its great over about 4-5000 revs but you tend to be going at a fair speed by then so acceleration is less anyway.
Typing this, when I say 'speed' I definitely just mean acceleration
Turntable

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:08 am

4.5s sounds slow on a car like that. Of course subjectively it's not slow but that's what a Focus RS will do.

I had a high revving VVT car followed by a turbo, albeit both a few rungs down from LFA/GTR. I couldn't get on with the turbo at first because I was so used to having fun above 5k revs. Overall it was quicker but it didn't really feel quicker because at 5k it went flat. Now though I don't think I could live with an n/a car that needs to be revved so hard. People moan about turbo lag but rev lag is more frustrating day to day. I just want to get there, I don't want to be racing all the time.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Me. @ Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:43 pm

I've just gone and bought a JCW Cooper S....I'd been looking for one for ages in the right colour just to stick in the back barn for a few years or so. The only shit point is that this has been magnetised and driven through Halfords among other similar shops. Massive (albeit very well fitted) audio system that I haven't got a frigging clue how to work...I found Radio 2 and that's as far as I got....the external mods are the smoothed and (again well carried out work wise) painted arch trims etc, different alloys, and tacky black Union flag emblems like on the door handles. BUT....the bones are good. Std engine with 15% reducer, std exhaust, 85K miles with huge history and a new clutch (which is a terrifying job on these), the price was right oo due to the owner shitting himself about the coolant loss and the water stains down the firewall which I'm almost certain are due to the dodgy expansion tank cap failing as usual. IIRC it was a recall on these and a lot of other BMW's. So I'll tidy it up, try remove the expensive audio /amps/sub (which is hidden in the spare wheel well so not intrusive anyway). and park it up since I'd look like a tw@t driving it at my age anyway.

JCW4.jpg
JCW4.jpg (122.46 KiB) Viewed 130 times

JCW7.jpg
JCW7.jpg (83.74 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Me.

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat