Some words - cars

General car gossip.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Turntable wrote:Do you still have the Aston Greg.
Is this your everyday car or a replacement?


Yes, yes and no. I had a Rolf for a while as an everyday but didn’t really get on with it.

Mrs 66 likes it (good) whereas she thought the Rolf was not much of a leap forward from the mk 2 16V we had years (80s/90s) ago. Then helpfully offered the view that I’d sold the wrong car and should have chopped in the Aston. Because cheaper all round.

I can tell you, she was black and blue by the end of that conversation. And you wouldn’t believe the state she left my poor knuckles in!!
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3927
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Il Duce wrote:The rear seat belts.

Why are they fastened?


They came like that. When someone gets in the back they will probably do something about them. I CBA’d.

I hope they work. Maybe they don’t!
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3927
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:25 pm

Greg66 wrote:Yes, yes and no. I had a Rolf for a while as an everyday but didn’t really get on with it.


I'm staggered by this, it's literally the perfect everyday car.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 18338
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Greg66 wrote:Yes, yes and no. I had a Rolf for a while as an everyday but didn’t really get on with it.


I'm staggered by this, it's literally the perfect everyday car.
Some mofos want to ice skate uphill as Blade once said.
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 7544
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:31 pm

Il Duce wrote:The rear seat belts.

Why are they fastened?


Every car I've ever had comes back from its MOT like this, I imagine in this case it was part of the PDI.

Nice car, The red does suit it.
User avatar
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by S1K @ Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:33 pm

The hire car I had a couple of days ago had the back seatbelts done like that too. New Fiesta one litre three cylinder ST line. No idea which power output engine it was but I assume the base model. For a little car it was quite happy to do 85-90mph on the motorway though it struggled a bit with acceleration over 70mph. Good satnav, air-con, six speed gearbox and altogether quite a nice car.

I’m happier in a bigger car with a bit more go but if we’re being honest a Fiesta can do all anyone really needs. Same with my mother’s Yaris. They’re perfectly adequate.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 8165
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:25 am

S1K wrote:They’re perfectly adequate.


Inevitably, this is pretty much the case with any car nowadays.

I was going to do a thread along similar lines recently, about how with cars all being totally capable, how much power do you really need for day to day driving to make it "fun", but I didn't.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 14820
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Some words - cars

Post by minimoog @ Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:50 am

I fcuking hate done-up seatbelts in empty seats with a raging passion. It shouts salesmen in shirt-sleeved shirts and cockpit shine.

Hateful, hateful practice. Sort it out this instant Gregg.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 10488
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:05 am

I have the front passenger seatbelt done up in my Aygo because otherwise the buckle taps against the door edge between the door and the side of the seat.

And because my Aygo is supercheap, that bit is hard, thin plastic and the tapping drives me INSANE.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 14820
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Some words - cars

Post by minimoog @ Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:09 am

I may have meant shirt-sleeved shorts. Or something like that.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 10488
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:29 am

minimoog wrote:I fcuking hate done-up seatbelts in empty seats with a raging passion. It shouts salesmen in shirt-sleeved shirts and cockpit shine.

Hateful, hateful practice. Sort it out this instant Gregg.


I hate it too but I also have done it in my Merc.
It's to prevent another of those irritating dashboard messages I get upon driving off and have to cancel.

"Just reminding you that NO-ONE in the rear seats has their seatbelts fastened.. even though there is NO-ONE sat in the rear seats"
"I'm going to leave this message on the dash for a minute you know"
"Annoying isn't it?"

Screwyou Mercedes!

"Oh and you know you turned off the lane assist when you last started the car? Well I might turn it back on again or I might not, just to keep you on your toes."

"I turn it off because when i went to slip past a cyclist the other day you decided I'd fallen asleep and had crossed the centre line so decided to fix it by braking the LHS wheels and steering me towards the poor bastard. It scared the shit out of both of us. Just leave it turned off you tw@t"

"It's a safety feature I'm afraid. can't do that"
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14255
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #vespaenginematters

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Dirk @ Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm

A problem of not using the car so much in the lockdown. Used it for the first time in 6 weeks since it was serviced.
Engine Mgt warning light on, loss of power etc

Turns out that rodents had nested in it and eaten through the wiring to one injector
Last edited by Dirk on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32707
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Dirk wrote:A problem of not using the car so much in the lockdown. Used it for the first time in 6 weeks since it was serviced.
Engine Mgt warning light on, loss of power etc

Turns out that rodens had nested in it and eaten through the wiring to one injector


Do you want me to pop over and kill them with my bare hands?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14255
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #vespaenginematters

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Dirk @ Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Dirk wrote:A problem of not using the car so much in the lockdown. Used it for the first time in 6 weeks since it was serviced.
Engine Mgt warning light on, loss of power etc

Turns out that rodens had nested in it and eaten through the wiring to one injector


Do you want me to pop over and kill them with my bare hands?

Only if you put some fcuking clothes on. For the good of you as well as everyone else, they have put a bull in the field up the road
Last edited by Dirk on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32707
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Greg66 @ Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Turntable wrote:Do you still have the Aston Greg.
Is this your everyday car or a replacement?



Fleet’s docked.

A7EA07B7-80EF-45E1-955B-C471A24DBA7E.jpeg
Someone needs to go on a diet
A7EA07B7-80EF-45E1-955B-C471A24DBA7E.jpeg (130.11 KiB) Viewed 251 times
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3927
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Turntable @ Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:20 am

I bet you love walking into your garage and seeing those side by side.
I would.
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 32382
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 am

Lovely Greg, well done you!
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 18338
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:32 pm

Handsome. Almost Gulf
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 38028
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:16 pm

Not cars but sort of car related.

We got a parking fine on one of our vans even though he was unloading. We disputed it but the warden lied his balls off and the fine stuck.

So I paid it. All £35.
From my "free banking" personal account.
With 35 £1 cheques.

I'm pretty sure that it costs them £1:30 to deposit each cheque.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14255
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #vespaenginematters

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Dirk @ Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:24 pm

Il Duce wrote:Not cars but sort of car related.

We got a parking fine on one of our vans even though he was unloading. We disputed it but the warden lied his balls off and the fine stuck.

So I paid it. All £35.
From my "free banking" personal account.
With 35 £1 cheques.

I'm pretty sure that it costs them £1:30 to deposit each cheque.

You do realise that it doesn't come out of the warden's income?
But from the council, and thus your local taxes

So you decided that all the local ratepayers should contribute extra money to the bank shareholders because of this.

:scratchchin:
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32707
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:17 pm

:biglaugh:
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 32382
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:29 pm

Dirk wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Not cars but sort of car related.

We got a parking fine on one of our vans even though he was unloading. We disputed it but the warden lied his balls off and the fine stuck.

So I paid it. All £35.
From my "free banking" personal account.
With 35 £1 cheques.

I'm pretty sure that it costs them £1:30 to deposit each cheque.

You do realise that it doesn't come out of the warden's income?
But from the council, and thus your local taxes

So you decided that all the local ratepayers should contribute extra money to the bank shareholders because of this.

:scratchchin:


Wow! That is PH level of bollocks.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14255
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #vespaenginematters

Re: Some words - cars

Post by thumper @ Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:20 pm

Il Duce wrote:Not cars but sort of car related.

We got a parking fine on one of our vans even though he was unloading. We disputed it but the warden lied his balls off and the fine stuck.

So I paid it. All £35.
From my "free banking" personal account.
With 35 £1 cheques.

I'm pretty sure that it costs them £1:30 to deposit each cheque.


Untrue.
thumper
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 am

thumper wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Not cars but sort of car related.

We got a parking fine on one of our vans even though he was unloading. We disputed it but the warden lied his balls off and the fine stuck.

So I paid it. All £35.
From my "free banking" personal account.
With 35 £1 cheques.

I'm pretty sure that it costs them £1:30 to deposit each cheque.


Untrue.


No I really did pay it with 35 cheques.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 14255
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: #vespaenginematters

Re: Some words - cars

Post by NNK @ Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 am

More truck/lorry than car but ......

You know on bridges it says the height ? You imagine there would be some leeway/room for error (well I always have).
Apparently in the South Island of NZ there isnt.
Not me I hasten to add but a mate this week decided that 4.45m warning sign would probably take a 4.6m load without issue.
I have a pic of the truck/load wedged but had better not post it until he says I can.
NNK
 
Posts: 8464
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: NZ

Re: Some words - cars

Post by S1K @ Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:05 am

Normally in the UK you get a couple of inches extra clearance. I wouldn’t chance my arm on it though. If my truck is within two or three inches in height clearance I’d be slowing right down, dumping the airbags and driving right in the middle of the road.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 8165
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:26 am

S1K wrote:Normally in the UK you get a couple of inches extra clearance. I wouldn’t chance my arm on it though. If my truck is within two or three inches in height clearance I’d be slowing right down, dumping the airbags and driving right in the middle of the road.


What happens if a lorry gets smashed S1K? It's it a full "thanks and good bye" for the driver?
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 18338
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by S1K @ Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:36 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
S1K wrote:Normally in the UK you get a couple of inches extra clearance. I wouldn’t chance my arm on it though. If my truck is within two or three inches in height clearance I’d be slowing right down, dumping the airbags and driving right in the middle of the road.


What happens if a lorry gets smashed S1K? It's it a full "thanks and good bye" for the driver?

Depends. We had an agency driver fall asleep at the wheel on Monday and drive off the road though a hedge. He’s done a real number on the truck and it’ll probably be written off. He won’t be driving for the company again. It’s a driver’s responsibility to take breaks and not to drive if they’re nodding off.
If you’re an employed driver and you have a bump it’ll be judged on its merits. Unless you were grossly negligent you probably won’t be sacked. Accidents do happen and no-one can be expected to be perfect. A driver assessor (such as me since last week) will go out for a drive with you and check your driving is okay.
If you keep having accidents, even minor ones like cracking wing mirrors, you’ll probably be on the way out.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 8165
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:50 am

Congratulations on the (presumably) promotion!
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 14820
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Strawman @ Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:30 am

Yeah well done s1k
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 41377
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: European Corvus corax

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles