Some words - cars

General car gossip.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 23, 2014 12:23 pm

moleamol wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I think if they've tinkered with the engine then you could be getting more power for the same MPG.
My Carrera went through rears in about 4k miles.

I think you could have a better engine with more power but the same MPG too. AS has been proven wrong on MPG matters numerous times on the forum so ignore him.

Oh I have. So many times

In this case I didn't mean that he wasn't getting more power and same MPG, just that if he was getting same MPG it is unlikely it was the additional engine power that was trashing his tyres. Seems too much of a change in tyre wear if MPG is the same as well.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Il Duce @ Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Arthur Scherbius wrote:
moleamol wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I think if they've tinkered with the engine then you could be getting more power for the same MPG.
My Carrera went through rears in about 4k miles.

I think you could have a better engine with more power but the same MPG too. AS has been proven wrong on MPG matters numerous times on the forum so ignore him.

Oh I have. So many times

In this case I didn't mean that he wasn't getting more power and same MPG, just that if he was getting same MPG it is unlikely it was the additional engine power that was trashing his tyres. Seems too much of a change in tyre wear if MPG is the same as well.

I thought it might have been Michelin fvcking around with the tyre compound when they only did 7-8k, so I switched to Goodyear and they only did 4.5k
Just fitted Yokohamas, so we'll see if the Japs are any better.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:31 pm

AC Cobras are now too much money but I'd still like one. Saw this driving into London yesterday

I guess an earlier 289 engined version.
Strawman

Post by moleamol @ Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:57 pm

I guess not a Cobra at all, the back is too skinny. Will it not be an Ace?
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Could be. The tyres are a bit thin

DVLA confirms it as a 1959 AC with a 2L engine, so must be an Ace.
Last edited by Strawman on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Are they having a mancarcuddle?
Käsemeister

Post by moleamol @ Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:11 pm

I think that's why he likes it really as actually it doesn't really look like a Cobra at all and basically SM has just stood up and announced to the class he wants a gay car to cuddle men in.
moleamol

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm so hetero the thought never occurred to me, I guessed father and son, but spin your fantasy as to what was happening in the car.

moleamol wrote: as actually it doesn't really look like a Cobra at all

an AC ace looking 'nothing like' a cobra

Strawman

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:29 am

Look at this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29988

Porsche Cayman R and it looks brill.

It's what (IMO) the 911 should have been years ago, mid engined and ace - instead people are already shitting on about pegging the power back to 'protect' the 911. Why not just give it 911 levels of power and let people decide?

Serious question, why the need to protect the 911 if Porsche themselves can make something better?
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:41 am

Duke Thrust wrote:Serious question, why the need to protect the 911 if Porsche themselves can make something better?

Money. The 911 sells well to a fiercely loyal customer base. By all accounts it costs fcuk all to make a 911 and profit margins vs the Cayman/Boxster are vast.

Plus it remains a 2+2 which makes it (on paper) more practical which owners like. Not easy to make an attractive mid-engined 2+2.

ETA 2013 figures from VAG
Last edited by thekungfury on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:45 am

Duke Thrust wrote:Serious question, why the need to protect the 911 if Porsche themselves can make something better?

They did that with the 944, the turbo version cost more than the cheapest 911 and was quite a bit faster,but they could have made it as fast as the 911 turbo but were worried in case something something 928. Now 70% of their car sales are the Cayenne I think they should just go all out on their sports models and allow the Cayman to be fasterer.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:45 am

How do VW make so little on everything? Does that figure include subsidising the Veyron or something?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 am

Damien Thorn wrote:How do VW make so little on everything? Does that figure include subsidising the Veyron or something?

The same way Ford make very little money, selling mainstream cars is highly competitive and margins are wafer thin.
Last edited by Strawman on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:52 am

Strawman wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:How do VW make so little on everything? Does that figure include subsidising the Veyron or something?

The same way Ford make very little money, selling mainstream cars is highly competitive and margins are wafer thin.

Don't Ford operate at a loss? Or is that apocryphal?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:57 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Strawman wrote:

Don't Ford operate at a loss? Or is that apocryphal?

They did do a couple of years ago, GM & Ford almost went bankrupt, Chrysler did. I think Ford have turned it around though. Also those were global sales I think Ford Europe is better than Ford USA & Ford R.O.W.
Strawman

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:10 am

I saw something a while back which showed that the volume cars themselves don't make the profits. They make their money on finance deals, leasing, aftersales and servicing.
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 am

Strawman wrote:

They did that with the 944, the turbo version cost more than the cheapest 911 and was quite a bit faster,but they could have made it as fast as the 911 turbo but were worried in case something something 928. Now 70% of their car sales are the Cayenne I think they should just go all out on their sports models and allow the Cayman to be fasterer.

I've driven the latest Cayman S and it's too fast. There is no sensation of the acceleration (maybe because of the PDK 'box) or the speed you're travelling.
E.g. Joining a motorway at about 40-50 mph, into lane 1, over the shoulder check, boot it, lane 2 then lane 3- and bang you're doing 110-120mph.. and it feels like 60.
Same on an open A/B road all you seem to be doing is changing gear and travelling at mental speeds, but without feeling it, like a video game. I don't know if I'm explaining it very well but anyway it wasn't any fun. I must be old.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by HeavySoul @ Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Duke Thrust wrote:Look at this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29988

Porsche Cayman R and it looks brill.

It's what (IMO) the 911 should have been years ago, mid engined and ace - instead people are already shitting on about pegging the power back to 'protect' the 911. Why not just give it 911 levels of power and let people decide?

Serious question, why the need to protect the 911 if Porsche themselves can make something better?

They have spent 50 years proving that the 911 concept is not completely wrong and based their entire creados on proving everyone wrong and that the 911 is 'the perfect sports car'.

I think, aside from the obvious profit issue, corporate pride and not shooting themselves in the foot by them proving in ten years of the product that the Cayman is actually better.

In the mean time, people will just buy a Cayman and turn to the aftermarket to give it the proper level of power and performance.

What they should do is give the Cayman it's true level of power and focus on selling it to the hardcore driving enthusiast market and then push the average base price of the 911 up and make it more of a luxury GT. The ridiculously rich people will still buy the 911 because it is more expensive and seen to be the better choice and the proper driving geeks will also be pleased and gravitate back towards Porsche etc.
HeavySoul

Post by Dirk @ Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Any suggestions
a) a nice easy leather cleaner
b) anything to blacken up a bit of rubber(?) trim
Dirk

Post by Barbarianna @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:45 am

Arthur Scherbius wrote:Any suggestions
a) a nice easy leather cleaner
b) anything to blacken up a bit of rubber(?) trim

For the first, try the Urad combo.
https://uradleathercare.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=70_74
https://uradleathercare.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

For the second, the turtle wax blackener thing is not bad.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255235
Barbarianna

Post by Tumescent Acorn @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 am

HeavySoul wrote:They have spent 50 years proving that the 911 concept is not completely wrong and based their entire creados on proving everyone wrong and that the 911 is 'the perfect sports car'.

The 911 format, i.e. engine at the back, is a pretty neat way of packaging things up since you can get more into a given length of vehicle than say a mid engine.
So the 911 is a good compromise between sports car and GT. They've spent a lot of time and effort in making it work very well, and some versions of the 911 are fcuking fast.
I'm not sure they've ever claimed the 911 is the 'perfect sports car'. Have they ?

Given the extra seat issue, I don't see why they don't up the power in the mid engine cars. I can see why they don't want one of their cars to steal sales form another of theirs, but then more vehicle choice seems to bring additional customers in.
Merc and BMW seem to have made that decision very clearly.
Perhaps it persuades customers to chop and change more regularly ?
Tumescent Acorn

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:47 am

Tumescent Acorn wrote:Given the extra seat issue, I don't see why they don't up the power in the mid engine cars. I can see why they don't want one of their cars to steal sales form another of theirs, but then more vehicle choice seems to bring additional customers in.

It's because Cayman and Boxster, to lots of sheep, is just another sports car whereas a 911 is a 911.

My dad bought a Boxster a few years back. Only a 2.5 and it was slow but fun. Cheap too. Think he paid £7.5k and sold it for £5.5k 3yrs later. Anyway down at the golf club the ribbing was always "Couldn't afford a proper Porsche then?". It was generally good natured but he reckons deep down a lot of them seriously thought that way.

Porsche cannot kill the golden goose by making a car better than the 911. It must piss off the engineers royally.
thekungfury

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:19 am

TKF wrote:
Tumescent Acorn wrote:Given the extra seat issue, I don't see why they don't up the power in the mid engine cars. I can see why they don't want one of their cars to steal sales form another of theirs, but then more vehicle choice seems to bring additional customers in.

It's because Cayman and Boxster, to lots of sheep, is just another sports car whereas a 911 is a 911.

My dad bought a Boxster a few years back. Only a 2.5 and it was slow but fun. Cheap too. Think he paid £7.5k and sold it for £5.5k 3yrs later. Anyway down at the golf club the ribbing was always "Couldn't afford a proper Porsche then?". It was generally good natured but he reckons deep down a lot of them seriously thought that way.

Porsche cannot kill the golden goose by making a car better than the 911. It must piss off the engineers royally.

I think Top Gear bear some responsibility for that perception. I have never driven a Boxster so I can't compare, but loads of people have told me it handles much better than the 911. As you say they have just fixated on these "911 is their premium car" and "911 must be rear engined" concepts.

" engine at the back, is a pretty neat way of packaging things up since you can get more into a given length of vehicle than say a mid engine"
Is it? I would have said a front engined car gives you more usable space for the same length of car. To make a car look right you need about the right space for an engine at the front. Then the back is a much better shape for putting bags
Dirk

Post by Tumescent Acorn @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:28 am

TKF wrote:

"Anyway down at the golf club the ribbing was always"
- The key phrase here.

A cheap Boxster, even if it's the slightly underpowered 2.5, is a tempting prospect.
Wonder what the running costs would be like ?
Tumescent Acorn

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:11 am

Tumescent Acorn wrote:
TKF wrote:

"Anyway down at the golf club the ribbing was always"
- The key phrase here.

A cheap Boxster, even if it's the slightly underpowered 2.5, is a tempting prospect.
Wonder what the running costs would be like ?

If it's anything like my Cayman it'll be quite big.
Surprisingly for a Porsche lots of mechanical things have broken/worn out:
Starter motor, lower suspension arms, track rod arms, discs at 50k, water pump, air/oil separator,
coil packs every 30k, calipers, shocks, cats.
That said, the interior is solid and has lasted well, apart from the glovebox and the sun visor, and central storage box.

Although maybe at 75k miles it was just having its expensive period, that every car has and will now work perfectly for the next few years.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:22 am

His Boxster seemed fairly cheap to run. Had work done at an Indy. Some niggles with the roof but nothing major.

Slower than my wife's shopping car but fun for someone who didn't want to go fast anymore.
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:31 am

TKF wrote:His Boxster seemed fairly cheap to run. Had work done at an Indy. Some niggles with the roof but nothing major.

Slower than my wife's shopping car but fun for someone who didn't want to go fast anymore.

It also could be because it's an early model. It seems as the models progress and get facelifted, Porsche add more shitty toys but cut back on the quality.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tumescent Acorn @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:46 am

TKF wrote:His Boxster seemed fairly cheap to run. Had work done at an Indy. Some niggles with the roof but nothing major.

Good grief really ?
<looks at figures>
Crap yes, just over 200 BHP and nearly 7 seconds to 60.
Tumescent Acorn

Post by Tumescent Acorn @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:48 am

The 3.2 and 3.4 seem much more reasonable.

This one seems a bargain -
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/boxster-986-96-04/porsche-boxster-s-2001/2376385
Asking £6.5k. 250 BHP is a little lightweight...

Looks nice enough though.
Tumescent Acorn

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Tumescent Acorn wrote:The 3.2 and 3.4 seem much more reasonable.

They are the ones that go bang- google porsche d-chunk
Also in Boxsters the IMS goes pop and terminates the engine.

Just be wary ok?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat