Getting too old for this shit.

General car gossip.

Getting too old for this shit.

Post by Me. @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:08 pm

I was recommended by the garage up the road as a source for a small cheap car for some youngish woman, she made a plan to pop down this afternoon.
Turns up in a 12 year old Hyundai i10 or similar. I ask her what she's looking for and get the usual 'Nice little reliable car with space and aircon' and tells me the aircon on her car is knackered, along with the engine eating oil, a non operational pass-side window, scratched to hell and manky. I ask her her budget, 'Oh I dunno....around £500, mine's just getting old and tired' I say to her that she isn't going to get a Newer car for that money and that everything I have is older for a start.....so I show her...Citroen C3 03 plate 1.4 with air 68K miles, £600......VW Polo 1.4 16V 2 door with no air and 130K miles £600.....VW Polo 02 plate with 36K miles and in mint condition, like showroom (with that mileage as it should be) Auto £1800........Ford Focus 1.6 2000 year model with 100K miles and air £550.......Pug 307 2005 2.0 180BHP Feline (1/300 with massive spec) £1000, .......2008 Nissan Micra with huge miles but only £500........Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9PD with over 200K but a REALLY good car and loads spent at £500......2002 Volvo V70 2.4 Estate with 120K miles and tidy enough at £550.......
I get ' Well, they all seem a bit old really, older than mine, I was hoping to PX mine against one of these' I ask her how much did she expect for her piece of crap and get 'Oh around 600'

I say...' So you expect me to give you a car with an mot in running, serviced and checked condition for a hardly running pile of shite that needs £1000 spent to make it half decent and STILL give you £100 in fcuking cash too?'
Her Mum and Dad were with her and were hastily trying to explain to her that's not how it works....... I said I was running late and had to close.

Normal......when I get a call from a guy in Ireland wanting to buy my Audi V8 4.2 (200 shape), Mitsubishi GTO and Lexus is200 supercharged.....I send pics and details and get a bank transfer.
When I sold my Mustang GT/CS....all on the phone, BACS. Why is it the muppets who are after cheap shit expect the earth?
Me.

Re: Getting too old for this shit.

Post by S1K @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 pm

When I bought my last car I had one bad experience and one good experience. The first was buying a Merc C220 CDI which threw up a gearbox fault which could have been potentially ruinous. I had to get very quasi-legal to make the dealer live up to his statutory obligation to take the car back within the first 28 days and from the way it went I strongly suspect that he’s technically trading while insolvent. The second experience was buying the Volvo I have now and the dealer was very honest in his description of the car, totally open about where he had sourced it and has lots of very good reviews on Autotrader.

The experience with the first dealer could have been avoided altogether if I’d just followed my instincts on first meeting the guy. I’m shit at buying cars though and always talk myself into buying the car before I get there. It didn’t help that I’d travelled 200 miles just to see the car.

In future I’d be more than happy to buy another car from the same dealer I got the Volvo from. In a way I think it might even be best just to tell him my budget and what sort of car (not particular specific make/model) I’m after and just buy whatever comes up.
S1K

Post by Strawman @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:32 pm

micra, rear seat fold flat I will emasure tomorrow? or borrow more from a drop, give them the box. 5 door one you have? or small van? volvo estate, ford mondeo estate few scrapes etc?
Last edited by Strawman on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Strawman @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:36 pm

Ask thm to take all fluids out? probably empty already, not road legal, I can help load, plus mechanic, walk from CT9 2JR?
Strawman

Post by Strawman @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Add eta? to pm and which day?
Strawman

Post by Strawman @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Sell the Honda to your firend as a deposit, the one with a stake swap it for easy fixes missing tyre, spare in boot etc?
Strawman

Post by Strawman @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 pm

The seat you gave me, made nothing at auction I can keep it? the Aerican one, also the broze statue? icame back in which car? Audi?
Strawman

Post by Strawman @ Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:43 pm

Southgate?
Strawman

Post by ypauly @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:24 am

I wish I had seen that pug last week, it sounds nice
ypauly

Post by Turntable @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:45 am

Me. wrote:I say...' So you expect me to give you a car with an mot in running, serviced and checked condition for a hardly running pile of shite that needs £1000 spent to make it half decent and STILL give you £100 in fcuking cash too?'
Her Mum and Dad were with her and were hastily trying to explain to her that's not how it works....... I said I was running late and had to close.

Normal......when I get a call from a guy in Ireland wanting to buy my Audi V8 4.2 (200 shape), Mitsubishi GTO and Lexus is200 supercharged.....I send pics and details and get a bank transfer.
When I sold my Mustang GT/CS....all on the phone, BACS. Why is it the muppets who are after cheap shit expect the earth?

I cant stand selling cars. I think I would hate your job more than my own.
When I buy a car I phone up, ask some questions and then say 'Ill collect it Friday' and do . I feel I should get a discount for being human.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:01 am

Turntable wrote:I cant stand selling cars. I think I would hate your job more than my own.

Me* too. I don't think I've ever achieved a fair value for a car I've sold, so I tend to run them right into the ground so they're only worth the peanuts I can get for them anyway.

* Not Me. (Him)
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by S1K @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:10 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever sold a car. They all just go to the scrapyard or I’ve handed on a couple to friends.
S1K

Post by Me. @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:37 pm

ypauly wrote:I wish I had seen that pug last week, it sounds nice

I'm not a huge Pug fan though this is rather nice tbh....

3072.jpg
3072.jpg (75.77 KiB) Viewed 126 times

EBA7.jpg
EBA7.jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 127 times

EBA5.jpg
EBA5.jpg (87.48 KiB) Viewed 127 times
Last edited by Me. on Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me.

Post by Pigeon @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Turntable wrote:When I buy a car I phone up, ask some questions and then say 'Ill collect it Friday' and do . I feel I should get a discount for being human.

Yeah. I basically decide to buy a car from the advert. If I think it's a decent car at a decent price then that's basically it. The purpose of the visit is not so much to check the car out as to check out my interpretation of the advert. I take however much money it says it is along with me. If I got it wrong then I bring the money home again, if I got it right I bring the car home.

What I hate is people who put FOR SALE in big letters and leave it at that. I know it's FOR SALE, you div, what I want to know is how much it's for sale for. Everything else that matters I can find out for myself. If the one vital piece of information that I can't find out for myself is not stated, I can't determine whether it's reasonable or not, so they can fcuk off.

I hate people who do that with other things as well. So you're selling YAG rods of such-and-such a length and diameter and doping level and end treatment etc. etc. Fine. Your website gives all the relevant specifications of all the ones you sell down to six decimal places. Except the fcuking price. What bloody use is that? No, I'm not going to contact us for a fcuking quote. You know how much you want for them so fcuking well say so along with all the other details, otherwise you can fcuk off and I'll get them from someone else who does put the price on their website.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:44 pm

Turntable wrote:I cant stand selling cars. I think I would hate your job more than my own.

Doesn't almost anyone? Hence the business model for WBAC.

Anyone ever used them or tried them and got a good comparison with what they could have got?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:05 pm

Me. wrote:

Just lately I've had a real thing for Saddle leather, used to hate it. Same for Ox Blood also.
Deuteronomy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:15 pm

When I buy a car I phone up, ask some questions and then say 'Ill collect it Friday' and do . I feel I should get a discount for being human.

I hate it too, which is the main reason I end up keeping the same cars for years. The last one I had to sell was a Merc and I honestly felt like abandoning the fcuking thing after the 100th call starting, 'what's your lowest price?' or some cnut trying to offer £500 under the already rock bottom price 'because that's all I can get on my credit card'.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:28 pm

I sold my Shogun at the weekend. It was easy, apart from the fortnight of stupid facile messages and calls beforehand.

"Is it petrol or diesel?" It's petrol, like it says in the advert.

"How much will you take for it?" Well, it's up for £2250 so let's start there.

Etcs.

But a polite and grammar-capable man with a clear sense of humour who messaged about it came when he said he would, looked it over carefully and bought it and drove it away.

I was pretty sure he was going to buy it though, because I live in North Essex and he drove from Bristol to look at it.

He was happy with what he got, and rightly so because it was in astonishing nick for the year and miles.

And I was happy because I got the money I wanted.

So. In my limited anecdotal recent experience of seeking cars, it's a piece of piss. The lesson is; sell something that people want for a fair price*, and be nice in the advert and in person.

*I made a profit
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dr Wolff @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 pm

You also have to deal with the bloke in Mexico whose sister-in-law is going to arrange the shipping...
Dr Wolff

Post by S1K @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:54 pm

You had some good fun with the Shogun Damo, what prompted the sale?
S1K

Post by S1K @ Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:55 pm

Dirk wrote:

Doesn't almost anyone? Hence the business model for WBAC.

Anyone ever used them or tried them and got a good comparison with what they could have got?

TT has used them in the past and said they were very fair.
S1K

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:20 am

S1K wrote:You had some good fun with the Shogun Damo, what prompted the sale?

This - I'm sad about the sale Damo.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:50 am

I'm sad too as we really did love it, but not as sad as my children were.

I'd got up to four vehicles, somehow; two "car" cars, The Watanabike (my Kawasaki), and the Shogun. And the Shogun had done less than 500 miles in over a year. I'd SORNed it, and it wasn't going to see any action this Summer. And it was going to take 500 quid to tax and insurance it if I fancied a high-up trundle.

So it went because it was just money tied up pointlessly on the drive.

Pragmatism won out, I suppose.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:38 pm

Strawman

Post by Strawman @ Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:13 am

I need a licence again and have to go through the same process
Deuteronomy wrote:
Me. wrote:

Just lately I've had a real thing for Saddle leather, used to hate it. Same for Ox Blood also.

I've never met you and expected you to be the one person with a wife who was prepared to trade down to help me who has no licence or a 3 month wait, or leave the UK, or lose my job my rented accomodation by early November and my car, I've sold everything I don't think is worth nelow £100 to minimise and every time I go to post the one thinkg which cost me £60 to buy and me actually wants I spend the time answereing reasons I can't take on anymore debt, Last post on here for 5 months.
Strawman

Return to Car Chat