Giving up smoking

A more tightly moderated area.

Re: Giving up smoking

Post by minimoog @ Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:03 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Disastrous wrote:Out of interest, do the ex-smokers on here occasionally have one if pissed or so?

Nope, not one, even when completely clattered.

Me neither. Smokers absolutely reek, I realised when I gave up. Foul business.
minimoog

Post by Strawman @ Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:07 pm

minimoog wrote:Me neither. Smokers absolutely reek, I realised when I gave up. Foul business.

Why do ex smokers say that but they never noticed the same thing as a child before they started smoking, curious.
Strawman

Post by minimoog @ Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Strawman wrote:
minimoog wrote:Me neither. Smokers absolutely reek, I realised when I gave up. Foul business.

Why do ex smokers say that but they never noticed the same thing as a child before they started smoking, curious.

I started at around 13yo, so... My parents didn't smoke, and neither did any of my immediate family, barring one uncle I saw maybe once a year and my defining memory of him is Mike Reid specs and a fag on. So I think I did notice.

I sanctimoniously but quietly detest parents subjecting their unwitting children, especially the very young, to the stench of stale tobacco. But hey it's none of my business.
Last edited by minimoog on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
minimoog

Post by Strawman @ Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Just you said 'you realised when you gave up' which is a common refrain from ex-smokers. I used to get the bus to school (8yrs-12yrs IIRC) and if it was busy sat upstairs despite not liking the smell of the cigarette smoke up there, I can think of a lot worse smells than cigarette smoke though.
Strawman

Post by minimoog @ Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:02 pm

I love the smell of a smokey bar still, and bemoaned the smoking ban when it came in despite having myself given up 8 years previously. Pipe tobacco still smells wonderful.

Stale tab smoke on people/clothes is rank though, especially in an otherwise non-smoky environment.
minimoog

Post by moleamol @ Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:38 pm

Disastrous wrote:Out of interest, do the ex-smokers on here occasionally have one if pissed or so?

It's been a few years since I bought a packet or smoked with any sense of purpose, but I've had probably 25-40 cigarettes in that 2 year period, usually due to being battered.

It doesn't at all encourage me to get back into the hobby, but I don't mind doing it either. But I have a friend who is like a recovering alcoholic around cigarettes and he stopped the same time as me and has been massively anti-them ever since.

Yeah, even when sober very occasionally. Still doesn't make me want to start up again.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by blackburied @ Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:54 am

I gave up 3 weeks ago after 13years on 20-40 a day. Been to the pub a few times and managed to stay away from them so I'm quite happy. I did buy an efag with some menthol tasting stuff which seems to keep me off,i n the shop I could have gone all Cotty with some of the sad fcuk sounding flavours but I've just stuck with anything menthol/mint.

Anyone using these efags for anything other than a quit smoking aid is fcuking sad and needs a good shake.
blackburied

Previous

Return to Serious Chat