An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

A more tightly moderated area.

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Dirk @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:44 am

WalMitty wrote: the guy who went to stay with Polarbert appears to own a Gallardo. I had imagined he still lived with his Mum.

Bizarre as it sounds, I don't think those two are mutually contradictory on PH
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 32213
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Dr Wolff @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:11 pm

This sad tale highlights the whole internet problem;

Real life - you meet someone, chat, do or don't get on, become friends or not. You know pretty much from the first handshake. No emotional investment.

Internet life - chat endlessly on a forum with someone you think you are getting to know, invest time & emotional energy, make arrangements you might make with lifelong friends involving huge distances, finally meet, and oh shit, I actually don't have that connection in real life, how the hell do I get out of it?

I have only met socially, properly, with two people I know on the internet. One lives in my village and we met via TVRCC, and have become friends. The other involved the long distance scenario and we met up when I was in his home town on a conference. Thankfully, a great bloke and we enjoyed a very sociable evening, so I would cheerfully number him as a friend. Could have been a disaster and I could have been bummed, murdered or outed as pest on a popular internet forum...
User avatar
Dr Wolff
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:10 pm
Location: Chained to desk

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 pm

People are different in real life than the internet shocker.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37535
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Käsemeister wrote:People are different in real life than the internet shocker.

I'm not. Sadly I'm just the same, or so I'm told. And I have irl met several carefully-selected internet people, on purpose, and got on with them well. Some have become genuine good friends that I get together with as often as circumstances allow. I'm looking forward to doing exactly that this weekend too. Thinking back, I don't think I've met any e-tw@ts. Although of course all the people who've met me have.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 14465
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by span @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:People are different in real life than the internet shocker.

I'm not.

Neither am I. I'm quite sure I 'talk' on here exactly the same as I would to friends, and I must admit I assume other people would be the same.

On HERE, that is. I can quite imagine that bigger forums with more of a sense of anonymity might lead people to adopt personas. I've posted on mumsnet a couple of times and I've been SO CROSS on there, I'd never be like that here. But anyway, that's why I don't go to mumsnet any more (as much).

PB the whole situation is rather odd, but I still think your frenemy came off much worse, and is probably a nasty piece of work.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7655
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:49 pm

span wrote:I can quite imagine that bigger forums with more of a sense of anonymity might lead people to adopt personas.

I don't even think that's down to the bigness of the forum. I think it's to do with insecurity. And the bigness of the forum lets the persona survive. Maybe it's even more prevalent when you're talking with people in a headset-of-shame gaming context?
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 14465
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Soovy
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37535
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Soovy

Does Soovy game? I can't imagine he does.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 14465
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Tumescent Acorn @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:17 pm

span wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:People are different in real life than the internet shocker.

I'm not.

Neither am I. I'm quite sure I 'talk' on here exactly the same as I would to friends, and I must admit I assume other people would be the same.

On HERE, that is. I can quite imagine that bigger forums with more of a sense of anonymity might lead people to adopt personas. I've posted on mumsnet a couple of times and I've been SO CROSS on there, I'd never be like that here. But anyway, that's why I don't go to mumsnet any more (as much).

PB the whole situation is rather odd, but I still think your frenemy came off much worse, and is probably a nasty piece of work.

What's your username thing on Mumsnet ?

So that we can assess all your gyno problems and stuff.
User avatar
Tumescent Acorn
 
Posts: 7563
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by WalMitty @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:23 pm

span wrote:
but I still think your frenemy came off much worse, .


Sorry. I dont.
WalMitty
 
Posts: 2968
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by dirtyboy @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:53 pm

To be honest, i'm probably a fair bit different in real life, i'm actually smart, articulate and funny.
User avatar
dirtyboy
 
Posts: 6791
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: Hanging out of your mums arse

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:People are different in real life than the internet shocker.

I'm not. Sadly I'm just the same, or so I'm told. And I have irl met several carefully-selected internet people, on purpose, and got on with them well. Some have become genuine good friends that I get together with as often as circumstances allow. I'm looking forward to doing exactly that this weekend too. Thinking back, I don't think I've met any e-tw@ts. Although of course all the people who've met me have.

For some reason, I expect you to be taller in real life DaTho...
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 16106
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by nakedninja @ Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:29 am

Wouldn't it be brilliant if Thorno had always written his text ten percent smaller than everyone else, so that when - if ever - you met in real life, he'd seem a bit taller.

Serious
User avatar
nakedninja
 
Posts: 9156
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:18 pm
Location: The North
Highscores: 1

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Turntable @ Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 am

nakedninja wrote:Wouldn't it be brilliant if Thorno had always written his text ten percent smaller than everyone else, so that when - if ever - you met in real life, he'd seem a bit taller.

Serious



:rofl:
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 32236
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:32 am

Turntable wrote:
nakedninja wrote:Wouldn't it be brilliant if Thorno had always written his text ten percent smaller than everyone else, so that when - if ever - you met in real life, he'd seem a bit taller.

Serious



:rofl:

pair of shits!
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 14465
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by onomatopoeia @ Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:45 am

Käsemeister wrote:People are different in real life than the internet shocker.

I'm not. Playing a role would be such hard work, I couldn't cope.
onomatopoeia
 
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: not Portishead any more

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:20 am

JeanKrauth wrote:The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of Video Signal Jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.

Bye bye Jean.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 14465
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: An Odd Encounter With A Fellow Internet Mate...

Post by Turntable @ Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:22 pm

thekungfury wrote:Serious

(I miss CJ)



Ha, I reckon this summonsed him back. Look CJ, you WERE missed.
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 32236
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

Previous

Return to Serious Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles