Anyone know a good property lawyer?

A more tightly moderated area.

Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi,

I've got a bit of a problem. I own a small flat which I rent out, in an apartment building. I've just found out that the lease has been taken over by a different company. I found out from other tenants emailing each other and me. This company has started legal proceedings on 9 out of 12 flat owners, for unpaid ground rent. It appears the previous agents who owned the lease passed on the wrong contact details about all of us to the new company, so none of the demands for ground rent have been received by any of us. Consequently, the ground rent which was £75 has now become £600 including legal costs etc. I'm obviously furious, as it is totally unreasonable for them to charge all of us for something that is due to the ineptitude of the previous company. Anyone know how to approach this?
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 7231
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Life Saab Itch @ Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Not sure if It's his speciality, but TheChampers on PH does solicitor stuff and may have some suggestions.
Life Saab Itch
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Re: Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Life Saab Itch wrote:Not sure if It's his speciality, but TheChampers on PH does solicitor stuff and may have some suggestions.


Is he very PH or actually ok?
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 7231
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:35 pm

As for proof of postage and delivery, sight of the demands, and then tell them to go fcuk themselves.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37535
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Life Saab Itch @ Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 pm

968 wrote:
Life Saab Itch wrote:Not sure if It's his speciality, but TheChampers on PH does solicitor stuff and may have some suggestions.


Is he very PH or actually ok?

Top bloke. Not a ph stereotype at all.
Life Saab Itch
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Re: Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:12 am

Käsemeister wrote:As for proof of postage and delivery, sight of the demands, and then tell them to go fcuk themselves.

At the risk of sounding all PH amateur legal eagle, isn't proof of postage deemed enough? Proof of actual delivery unnecessary?
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 16106
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:06 am

968 wrote:Consequently, the ground rent which was £75 has now become £600 including legal costs etc.


It would cost £25 through MCOL (which even solicitors use) to 'go legal' on £75 and the interest is capped at 8% so would be immaterial.

Have you paid the £75 that you owe yet? I'd be inclined to send them a cheque for that first, as it's undisputed and overdue, then worry about the fees after. How far have they got in the legal process? Does your contract even allow them to pass on legal/recovery costs?
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50267
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Turntable @ Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:13 am

Also, what are the fees for?
If they took you to court, small-claim costs are limited to a figure much lower than that. Sub-£200.
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 32236
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

Re: Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:23 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:As for proof of postage and delivery, sight of the demands, and then tell them to go fcuk themselves.

At the risk of sounding all PH amateur legal eagle, isn't proof of postage deemed enough? Proof of actual delivery unnecessary?


It would prove they were sent to the wrong person or place.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37535
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Anyone know a good property lawyer?

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
968 wrote:Consequently, the ground rent which was £75 has now become £600 including legal costs etc.


It would cost £25 through MCOL (which even solicitors use) to 'go legal' on £75 and the interest is capped at 8% so would be immaterial.

Have you paid the £75 that you owe yet? I'd be inclined to send them a cheque for that first, as it's undisputed and overdue, then worry about the fees after. How far have they got in the legal process? Does your contract even allow them to pass on legal/recovery costs?


Sound advice from m'learned colleague.

Pay what isn't in dispute and take them to task over the rest.

Have a look here:

http://www.lease-advice.org/publications/documents/document.asp?item=63
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 26396
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am


Return to Serious Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles