Aberfan

A more tightly moderated area.

Aberfan

Post by Dirk @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:05 pm

I was aware of it. I have driven past the site, but I'd never seen such a good article as this explaining what happened.

I'll warn you that it is distressing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-150d11df-c541-44a9-9332-560a19828c47
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Re: Aberfan

Post by Hooli @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:35 pm

That is a very good article.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:37 pm

I read that this morning too and shared it on the Pictures That Move You thread.

It really is a very good article.
Careless Whisperer

Post by dirtyboy @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:48 pm

I read and shared that on fb this morning, incredible (horrific) story and how families of children were treated.

Never knew about it until today.
dirtyboy

Post by One MoreDonkey @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:57 pm

I'd never heard of it before today (before my time) and caught a brief bit about it on Radio 2 this morning.

That's a very good article and some very moving pictures. Tragedies like these affect some many lives in ways you can't possibly even comprehend unless you have been unfortunate to have experienced it.
One MoreDonkey

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:46 pm

It's always hard to read about Aberfan.

Not just for the tragedy itself - I grew up in a village about the size of Aberfan (not in Wales, though) and I can't even imagine what a disaster on that scale would have been like - but for the utter shit sandwich the NCB tried (with some success) to give to the victims. Robens in particular comes off as a massive cunt.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Dirk @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:56 pm

CJ+ wrote:It's always hard to read about Aberfan.

Not just for the tragedy itself - I grew up in a village about the size of Aberfan (not in Wales, though) and I can't even imagine what a disaster on that scale would have been like - but for the utter shit sandwich the NCB tried (with some success) to give to the victims. Robens in particular comes off as a massive cunt.

From reading that it seems so.

And I didn't know that he was asked to then chair the set-up of health & safety at work act.

On one hand I hate rewarding the cnut. On the other hand maybe using that experience helped in setting up HSAW

Makes you think differently about our minor whinges about safety culture
Dirk

Post by Jayou5 @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Really good article and I'm glad I read it, thanks for sharing. Grew up not far from there and even though I knew from a young age what had happened, it was never discussed you just knew about it. And yes Robens and NCB come across as absolute cnuts.
Jayou5

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:28 pm

I was listening to a guy on the radio today, who was the last child to be rescued from the school. He was recounting how he was trapped next to the body of a dead girl for 5 hours, that must've left an indelible image in his mind.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by S1K @ Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:02 pm

Growing up in Wales the Aberfan disaster was something I was taught about in primary school and it's something I've never forgotten. Watching a programme about it on TV last night had me on the edge of tears the whole time. The fact that it was an avoidable tragedy is part of what it makes so awful.

The NCB behaved with the same high-handedness that these mining communities had experienced from theVictorian mine-owners onwards. The resilience and fortitude of the survivors and the parents of the victims reflects very well on the place as a whole.
S1K

Return to Serious Chat