What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:24 am

Dirk wrote:Name one Dis. So we can judge. You.

On the Waterfront is one for me.

Blade Runner too (though I can see why some might not think so).

Raiders of the Lost Ark is also a 10, in that it’s the perfect example of a film like that.

La Dolce Vita (which is a massive favourite of mine) only gets 8.5.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:23 am

Uncut Gems which was recommended to me by Netflix, the cnuts.

I have to accept some blame as I CBA to actually check the what or who of it and after another shite day trying to trace the source of our elevated formaldehyde levels, I brainlessly flopped onto the sofa with a beer & turned it on.

I should've quit when I realised it was an Adam Sandler film, and worse it was one that wasn't even trying to be funny.

What an unrelenting utter steaming pile of dogshit it was, the only (tiny) upside is that >this content deleted to avoid spoilering< 0/10
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by span @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:12 am

Spoiler that, Hgl fhs!!

Not for me though, I saw it and really 'enjoyed' it in the way you can still enjoy things that are anxiety-inducing to watch.
span

Post by Dirk @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:26 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:I should've quit when I realised it was an Adam Sandler film, and worse it was one that wasn't even trying to be funny.

There is a difference?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Bodhi @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:13 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:Uncut Gems which was recommended to me by Netflix, the cnuts.

Ruining the film for EVERYONE!

Way to go spoiler.
Bodhi

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:37 am

Lowlife.

Worth a watch.A bit Tarantino with 4 (i think) stories all coming together in the finale.
Bit gory in places.

Can't decide if it's a 7 or an 8.
O.K. 7.5 out of 10.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am

I rewatched Heat at the weekend. It has not aged well at all I'm sorry to say. I adored it at the time but now it feels completely dated. I kinda wish I hadn't watched it again.

The Di Niro + gf chemistry is utterly non-existent. It's genuinely cringeworthy watching them together.

Something I hadn't noticed from the shootout scene is as they're going up the main street you have robbers in the middle and cops at either end shooting straight down the road. i.e. all the shots that miss (i.e. all but one) are going towards the cops at the other end.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Dirk @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:29 am

thekungfury wrote:Something I hadn't noticed from the shootout scene is as they're going up the main street you have robbers in the middle and cops at either end shooting straight down the road. i.e. all the shots that miss (i.e. all but one) are going towards the cops at the other end.

Probably pretty realistic for US Cops
They manage to shoot dead (let alone the much larger number injured) one or two of own each year and still call it rare.
Of course even when shooting themselves they still manage to ensure that a majority of those shot dead are black
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:53 pm

thekungfury wrote:I rewatched Heat at the weekend. It has not aged well at all I'm sorry to say. I adored it at the time but now it feels completely dated. I kinda wish I hadn't watched it again.

The Di Niro + gf chemistry is utterly non-existent. It's genuinely cringeworthy watching them together.

Something I hadn't noticed from the shootout scene is as they're going up the main street you have robbers in the middle and cops at either end shooting straight down the road. i.e. all the shots that miss (i.e. all but one) are going towards the cops at the other end.

I've not seen it for 15+ years, but I did love it.

I won't watch it again on your advice.

I'll return the favour, do not watch The 6th Element, it's aged appallingly badly. I watched it a little while back for the first time in ages and came away hating myself for thinking it was great. Ruined it for me.
Deuteronomy

Post by Strawman @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Is that a sequel to the 5th Element?
Strawman

Post by S1K @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:38 pm

Strawman wrote:Is that a sequel to the 5th Element?

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGT0KaAQ0V0
S1K

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:21 am

Bodhi wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:Uncut Gems which was recommended to me by Netflix, the cnuts.

Way to go spoiler.

I've literally told you nothing about the film - aside from the fact that I thought it was a steaming pile of dogshit. Dogshit that upon reflection, may well have been eaten by another dog before being vomited up again; only for the first dog to have another go at it in a disgusting two dogs, one turd type manner.

If you want to spend 2hrs & 15 minutes of your life deciding if AS has finally found his oeuvre or whatever it is actors called their talent eggs, up to you. It did not - for me at least - address pressing social issues with a profoundly poetic sensibility or any other such wank. Soz n all.
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGoLucky

Post by span @ Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:03 am

I think saying what happens at the end of the film is a spoiler even if you didn't like the film. And it's the end of what's generally thought to be a good film. It would definitely have slightly ruined the end for me.

So go on, be a good sport - delete the spoilers EVEN if you didn't like the film.
span

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:17 am

Strawman wrote:Is that a sequel to the 5th Element?

>shrugs<

Maybe, but it's a bit shit now anyway.
Deuteronomy

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:23 am

span wrote:I think saying what happens at the end of the film is a spoiler even if you didn't like the film. And it's the end of what's generally thought to be a good film. It would definitely have slightly ruined the end for me.

So go on, be a good sport - delete the spoilers EVEN if you didn't like the film.

OH, OK, unspoilered, but just because you asked even though it was in a rather stern tone with capitals and everthing.

Happy now?
HappyGoLucky

Post by span @ Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:29 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
span wrote:I think saying what happens at the end of the film is a spoiler even if you didn't like the film. And it's the end of what's generally thought to be a good film. It would definitely have slightly ruined the end for me.

OH, OK, unspoilered, but just because you asked even though it was in a rather stern tone with capitals and everthing.

Happy now?

I am! Thank you and I'm sorry for my sternness, and lack of 'please' which I just noticed.
span

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Bodhi wrote:

Way to go spoiler.

Aside from saying he dies at the end,.

Oh FFS!
Bodhi

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 am

Should I spoiler Titanic?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:12 am

Bodhi wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:
Bodhi wrote:

Way to go spoiler.

It was Bodhi that spoilt that.

Oh FFS!

Well I can't edit your fcuking quotes as well, can I?? FFS!
HappyGoLucky

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 am

The American Factory

Oscar winning Netflix documentary about a Chinese glass manufacturer opening up a factory in the closed GM plant in Ohio. Fascinating insight into the different cultures. Chinese managers in USA are trained how to deal with American employees, citing how American kids are encouraged which gives them overconfidence in life. The scenes in China are some of the most extraordinary things I’ve seen.

It’s a very even handed film and I think both sides will feel they’ve been represented fairly but also that they’re in the right and the other side are at fault. Well worth watching.
thekungfury

Post by Turntable @ Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am

Ill give that a go Teeks.

I went to see Parasite last night. This is the Korean film that became the first foreign language one to win the best film Oscar on Sunday.
I was excited because I liked the look of it and to see it elevated in this way above other films of its ilk promised great things.

It was all a bit 'meh' sadly. For me it stands out not as some great foreign film transcending borders and historic boundaries, but more of a shining example of the demise of film generally.
This is just an ordinary Korean nothing film. Definitely watchable but not particularly anything. A bit slapstick. A bit capery. A bit thrillery. A bit nothing.
Clever story and an original one and everything about it is 'pretty good'
But when I read the reviews from places like The Guardian I just don't recognise them as belonging to the film I watched. It feels like the reviews are trying to make it into something it isn't. Its just a little clever fun film but these reviews are awash with phrases like 'masterpiece' .
One part of the review that made me shake my head and continue to wonder if I was watching the same film:
What’s more, the Park household has secrets of its own – too shocking and amusing to so much as hint at here

Firstly, what does that even mean? How can it be too shocking and too funny to hint at? What?.
Intriguing sentence nevertheless. Despite saying it is too funny and shocking to hint at, the very sentence does hint at a shocking and hilarious secret in the Park household.
Having watched the film as recently as last night I don't even know what it refers to. Perhaps it was just so extremely shocking and hilarious that it has slipped my mind?
I just don't know.
ANyway, I quite liked the film but the fuss is so out of proportion to the film that I have just become a bit cross about it all.

7/10
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:01 pm

That's a shame TT. I've been looking forward to Parasite for months, before even all the Oscar hype buzz started, and now I'm pre-disappointed.

On the flipside, I watched the new live action Dumbo and it was nothing. Nothing at all. Not terrible, not interesting, no songs, no delightfulness, no characters that weren't pantomime. And then everything went on fire.

My daughter 'quite' liked it, but even she thought it wasn't as good as the ancient animation. You would have to ask why they bothered, but even asking that might be caring more than the film deserves.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Parasite won the Oscars without a host
thekungfury

Post by Paul H @ Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:07 pm

Not sure where to put this but here seems as good as anywhere.

This was told to me last night and I can’t verify but know the teller believed it to be true.

Steven Spielberg has made films all his life and went to college to study film. Whilst there he got a part time job to make a film, dropped out of college and became, it is said, quite a good film director.

But it always annoyed him that he hadn’t graduated so he returned to college in 2002 to complete his degree.

All students were required to submit a piece of work for their finals. He submitted ‘Catch Me If You Can’. He passed and duly graduated from California State University.
Paul H

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 pm

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm

thekungfury wrote:Parasite won the Oscars without a host

Goooood
Käsemeister

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:12 pm

The devil's double.

F%$£^ing rubbish from beginning to end.
Shit acting. Shit plot. Even the accents were shit. (think Boris trying to do an Indian accent)

I'm even angry at the time I lost opening the dvd box.

-1/10
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:39 pm

I watched Pacific Rim:Uprising last night.

It was terrible.

And I absolutely loved it.
CJ+

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Disagree with TT on Parasite profoundly. I thought it was excellent.
Greg66

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:58 am

Joker.

Unsettling and uncomfortable to watch. A very impressive performance from Phoenix, who carries the film single handedly.

Negatives? It is an origin film and no more than an origin film. You’re left thinking “so where will this go next?”. The ages of Joker and Bruce Wayne don’t work. And - perhaps most importantly - I would probably not rewatch it. Not because it wasn’t good or because I didn’t enjoy it; more that I am not sure what it has to offer second time around given that it is so unsettling to watch.

But a very impressive piece of work.
Greg66

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club