What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Bodhi @ Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:04 pm

I've definitely seen Arrival

I can't really recall what I thought about it - that in itself leads me to believe it was average at best.

Y'all should go watch The Peanut Butter Falcon - that's a right lovely film that just manages to avoid falling into a mine of sentimentality and impaling itself upon the spikes of manipulative shite.
It's a lot like Little Miss Sunshine, so if you liked that you'll like this.

Also, just for the record, I was the first to watch Barney's Version and recommend it and I refuse to let it go!!!111@32£
Bodhi

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:17 am

Got to respect you for sticking to your guns there Bhodes.
Deuteronomy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:00 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Got to respect you for sticking to your guns there Bhodes.
Still....your face.
Doctor Congo

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:08 am

Doctor Congo wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:Got to respect you for sticking to your guns there Bhodes.
Still....your face.

Doc, you're a man of learning and I really expected more from you, Arrival is neither complicated or any good.

Pop in a tampon, watch Arrival and have a good old cry.

Disappointing, but there you go I suppose.
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:14 am

I bet Trump didn’t understand Arrival either.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:21 am

thekungfury wrote:I bet Trump didn’t understand Arrival either.

Right, tell me what I'm missing Kungers:

They help us to have future-memories and need our help in the future as predicted by their future memories.

Circle.

Writing.

In parallel, sad story about the daughter which she's going to have with him from the Avengers.

It's really not complicated at all, it's just not any good...

...unlike your mum.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:09 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:

They help us to have future-memories and need our help in the future as predicted by their future memories.

Circle.

Writing.

In parallel, sad story about the daughter which she's going to have with him from the Avengers.

...unlike your mum.

Look Deuts, I'm sure you're an intelligent young fellow, but where we're at cross purposes is that when told you didn't understand it, you keep autistically reiterating the basic plot points of the film.

You may not realise, but that's not understanding, that's watching.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dirk @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Mr Deuts. the burns nurse will see you now
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:50 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

Circle.

Writing.

...unlike your mum.

Look Deuts, I'm sure you're an intelligent young fellow, but where we're at cross purposes is that when told you didn't understand it, you keep autistically reiterating the basic plot points of the film.

>massive exaggerated sigh<

What am I not understanding then?

Span's come the closest to explaining why it's not a shit film as she finds it so very moving, beautifully so - so much so in fact it brings her to tears. Which is a perfectly good motive for liking a film, I like Trainspotting for the same reason. Not because the film itself is profoundly emotional, but because it's so redolent of the times when it was released. It takes me back to those years in an instant and for that reason I'll never tire of it.
Deuteronomy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

Circle.

Writing.

...unlike your mum.

Span's come the closest to explaining why it's not a shit film as she finds it so very moving, beautifully so - so much so in fact it brings her to tears. Which is a perfectly good motive for liking a film, I like Trainspotting for the same reason. Not because the film itself is profoundly emotional, but because it's so redolent of the times when it was released. It takes me back to those years in an instant and for that reason I'll never tire of it.

Redolent? you're indolent!
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 pm

In spite of your glibness, I'm sure you do understand, but just don't like the film. Which is fine - you don't have to like it, but doesn't make it an unsuccessful film.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • It is of course about how language is the key to bringing people together in relationships, and how relationships are the only way both to survive and to bring more value to that survival than mere existence alone holds.

Our experience of the world isn't just described by our use of language but is determined by it. And in turn that language determines whether and in what terms our experience of the world includes others.

That's why the alien's language itself is their gift/tool/weapon, as a means to step outside of the narrow, directional way we describe the world and thus determine our experience of it.

Whatshername Amy Adams literally saves civilisation by being able to communicate emotionally with the Chinese President - the actual words she uses holding the power to bring antagonists together rather than separate, and do that not through political agenda but through a simple common understanding of the power of human emotions. His wife's dying words.

The circularity of the alien writing defines their experience of time and life, and understanding that comes to shape AA's experience too, allowing her and us to see the tragic results of her relationship with Hawkeye before it even begins. But even knowing that in advance she will continue, as the value of that powerful human connection is important even in the face of tragedy. She knows the daughter she will eventually have with Hawkeye will die, and the pain of that death will separate them through guilt and anger and recriminations. But she still will have had the relationship with him, and they still will have shared the love for their daughter.

Being able to articulate our view of the world in a different way can lead to an otherwise impossible closeness with others, and in return that closeness is reward for the struggles to get there.

What the film means is that what makes life worth living is human relationships. And it's better to have loved and lost, because no degree of ultimate sadness can eliminate the not and importance of the love that once was.

That's why it's such an emotionally resonant film, because it says something about how the value of life comes from how much we care about other people, and how much that caring can come about through shared communication.

Or, as perhaps it's just as you said: circular writing.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Anyway, I'm currently watching Rabid, a recent remake of the old Cronenberg horror.

It's about a woman whose face is ground off in a motorcycle accident and the subsequent experimental stem cell treatment that makes her eat people.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:

Span's come the closest to explaining why it's not a shit film as she finds it so very moving, beautifully so - so much so in fact it brings her to tears.

Thinking about it, Amy Adams really made that character stand out. Her sadness somehow managed to be moving rather than depressing or annoying. The really obvious answer to your question though (for me anyway) was that the film was essentially about communication, with the work translating the aliens’ ‘circle writing’ being the most obvious example. The individual countries trying and initially failing to work together is another one.

• But there were a lot more nuanced examples of it too, like Hawkeye being unable to understand Amy’s decision to keep her daughter even though she knew she was going to die young and both of their inability to communicate their feelings on that.

I just thought it was a really clever, unshowily shot film which used a twist on love and tragedy. And that moment of realisation that you get when watching it is superb. I did a genuine gasp when I saw it the first time.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:41 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:In spite of your glibness, I'm sure you do understand, but just don't like the film. Which is fine - you don't have to like it, but doesn't make it an unsuccessful film.

• It is of course about how language is the key to bringing people together in relationships, and how relationships are the only way both to survive and to bring more value to that survival than mere existence alone holds.

Our experience of the world isn't just described by our use of language but is determined by it. And in turn that language determines whether and in what terms our experience of the world includes others.

That's why the alien's language itself is their gift/tool/weapon, as a means to step outside of the narrow, directional way we describe the world and thus determine our experience of it.

Whatshername Amy Adams literally saves civilisation by being able to communicate emotionally with the Chinese President - the actual words she uses holding the power to bring antagonists together rather than separate, and do that not through political agenda but through a simple common understanding of the power of human emotions. His wife's dying words.

The circularity of the alien writing defines their experience of time and life, and understanding that comes to shape AA's experience too, allowing her and us to see the tragic results of her relationship with Hawkeye before it even begins. But even knowing that in advance she will continue, as the value of that powerful human connection is important even in the face of tragedy. She knows the daughter she will eventually have with Hawkeye will die, and the pain of that death will separate them through guilt and anger and recriminations. But she still will have had the relationship with him, and they still will have shared the love for their daughter.

Being able to articulate our view of the world in a different way can lead to an otherwise impossible closeness with others, and in return that closeness is reward for the struggles to get there.

What the film means is that what makes life worth living is human relationships. And it's better to have loved and lost, because no degree of ultimate sadness can eliminate the not and importance of the love that once was.

That's why it's such an emotionally resonant film, because it says something about how the value of life comes from how much we care about other people, and how much that caring can come about through shared communication.

Dammit! You just said what I said but a million times better.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:In spite of your glibness, I'm sure you do understand, but just don't like the film. Which is fine - you don't have to like it, but doesn't make it an unsuccessful film.

"autistically reiterating/glibness" - I'm trying not to feel insulted here, but am struggling.

I don't like a film and you seem to have taken it quite personally and I have no idea why.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Not at all you banana. I was trying to be condescending so i looked superior, and it clearly worked.

Of course you're allowed to not like a film.I enjoyed Arrival but it's not a favourite so I'm happy for you not to agree.

But I do think it's got more going for it than circular alien writing, and I couldn't tell if you were being deliberately obtuse or genuinely didn't see the metaphor in the film.

Who cares. Bygones!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:27 pm

Ah, right, soz

>high five<
Deuteronomy

Post by Bodhi @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Top Pas Agrrev from Da Tho there.

Anyway Tl;dr

Language + Love = LIFE WORTH LIVING or something, yeah yeah

Now go watch The Peanut Butter Falcon. Thanks
Bodhi

Post by minimoog @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Arrival also employs the hypothesis that language defines the way you perceive the world, and learning a new language changes that perception. In this case into perceiving time as non-linear.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Bodhi wrote:Top Pas Agrrev from Da Tho there.

It's my whole thing.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:30 pm

thekungfury wrote:Jojo Rabbit is tremendous. Hilarious Hitler.

We just watched it and absolutely heart it. Recommend.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 pm

minimoog wrote:Arrival also employs the hypothesis that language defines the way you perceive the world, and learning a new language changes that perception. In this case into perceiving time as non-linear.

Quite. The concept of time being non linear is fascinating. You can see all the points you occupy in time at once. You can make decisions now about the future you can see, which will change what you can see, so you see different things in your future instead. Or you can chose to take a path with a tragic ending, because you think the journey there is worth it. For you. And you drag others into that choice.

But, you know, “circles” and “future memories”, well that’s different.
Greg66

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Greg66 wrote:
minimoog wrote:Arrival also employs the hypothesis that language defines the way you perceive the world, and learning a new language changes that perception. In this case into perceiving time as non-linear.

Quite. The concept of time being non linear is fascinating. You can see all the points you occupy in time at once. You can make decisions now about the future you can see, which will change what you can see, so you see different things in your future instead. Or you can chose to take a path with a tragic ending, because you think the journey there is worth it. For you. And you drag others into that choice.

But, you know, “circles” and “future memories”, well that’s different.
Well put. Have you read “The order of time” by Carlo Rovelli?
Doctor Congo

Post by foo @ Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:32 am

See You Yesterday. Never heard of it before three hours ago but I enjoyed it. There are some quite funny bits of dialogue, some nice videography now and again, and it takes a sinister turn. Character development could have been better, but the cameo by Michael J Fox was a nice surprise.

I'm running out of sci fi to watch so I'm re-watching things. Any recommendations? The trouble with recommendations is my reply will be "seen that" so I'm not sure why I'm even asking. I could just not type this paragraph but I have.

I'll swap you 2081, a more modern short film based on Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron", set in a dystopian future where everyone is made physically and mentally equal by the "Handicapper General". I absolutely love the last bit of dialogue between the man and wife, you really feel for the bloke.
foo
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:24 pm

I See You.

You think it's one kind of film, then it becomes something else, then something else entirely and there's a twist too!

e: But Helen Hunt's face!
Last edited by Clown Ice Skater #4 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:34 pm

I watched The Field Guide To Evil last night.

Good grief that was a trial. Baffling and tedious and willfully esoteric, it's eight portmanteaued horror shorts based on ancient foreign folklore tales.

Perhaps it would have made more sense if I'd known any of the folklore, but it would still have been an unscary mess of boring nonsense. A couple of times I think I might have fallen asleep, but I can't be sure because nothing was making much sense before it stopped making any sense.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:28 am

Deuteronomy wrote:[I'm confident that TT will agree with me on this one, after all his film recommendations have been spot on since he brought Barney's Version to our attention.

Sorry I'm late
I have visited those spaceships and have gain the power of premonmition as such that way back in 2017 I predicted your opinion and wrote it down as my own
I said nearly 3 years ago

I watched Arrival at the weekend. Anyone seen it?
Basically some spaceships arrive at various points on earth and it is people trying to communicate with them to find out what they want.
Has some rave reviews and a fairly interesting premise.
I thought it was just okay. Not even that really. A bit boring and pointless. And also jumping from "wow- I recognise what they are trying to say from that symbol" to "I can fully communicate with them fluently" in 10 minutes. Ridic.
4/10, although I would be curious as to other peoples opinion as the reviews are consistently good for it.

It was just boring and I wasn't moved or interested.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:14 am

It probably took weeks or months for them to fully understand the language but films can’t be that long for practical purposes so they shortened the sequence.
thekungfury

Post by Turntable @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:21 am

thekungfury wrote:It probably took weeks or months for them to fully understand the language but films can’t be that long for practical purposes so they shortened the sequence.

I would have thought experienced filmmakers would have some kind of tactic at their disposal to indicate the passage of time!
Not that this was a salient issue to me anyway, I just mentioned it. By that point in the film I didn't care at all. I was glad that happened because it meant the film might finish soon.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:53 am

So you wanted an 80’s training montage with She’s A Maniac playing in the background with scenes of them furiously scribbling circles?
thekungfury

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club