What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:20 am

thekungfury wrote:So you wanted an 80’s training montage with She’s A Maniac playing in the background with scenes of them furiously scribbling circles?

That would add some much needed lightness to an otherwise slow pace.
Deuteronomy

Post by stuart @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:41 am

Turntable wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:[I'm confident that TT will agree with me on this one, after all his film recommendations have been spot on since he brought Barney's Version to our attention.

Sorry I'm late
I have visited those spaceships and have gain the power of premonmition as such that way back in 2017 I predicted your opinion and wrote it down as my own
I said nearly 3 years ago

I watched Arrival at the weekend. Anyone seen it?
Basically some spaceships arrive at various points on earth and it is people trying to communicate with them to find out what they want.
Has some rave reviews and a fairly interesting premise.
I thought it was just okay. Not even that really. A bit boring and pointless. And also jumping from "wow- I recognise what they are trying to say from that symbol" to "I can fully communicate with them fluently" in 10 minutes. Ridic.
4/10, although I would be curious as to other peoples opinion as the reviews are consistently good for it.

It was just boring and I wasn't moved or interested.

First time I watched Arrival I thought it was a bit meh.

Second time I thought it was brilliant. Maybe give it another go.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Dirk @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:02 pm

I think I may have to watch it in order to determine who to trust on important issues
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:20 pm

I vaguely remember thinking it was alright but not spectacular. I'll have to watch the bloody thing again now.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Turntable @ Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:25 pm

thekungfury wrote:So you wanted an 80’s training montage with She’s A Maniac playing in the background with scenes of them furiously scribbling circles?

All I really wanted was for it to end.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by span @ Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Well we've certainly all learned a lot about each other and I don't think we'll forget the new divisions this has highlighted, but I think it might be time to move on.

Foo, I haven't watched Harrison Bergeron (is it the one with Sean Astin?) but I did love the short story! I remember it well, it was very sad.

It was in a brilliant anthology I read as a teenager that included a lot of classic short stories, like It's A Good Life, and Let's Go To Golgotha.

I'm not a big sci fi or horror fan but short stories and anthologies make both much more enjoyable for me.
span

Post by Dirk @ Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:17 pm

span wrote:Well we've certainly all learned a lot about each other and I don't think we'll forget the new divisions this has highlighted

Fair point. Arrival has caused more divisions in CTF than Brexit did, since most of us were Remainers.

So that makes Deuts the Nigel Farage of the film appreciation world. And just like Farage he failed to appreciate the worth of immigrants.
Dirk

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:45 pm

span wrote:Well we've certainly all learned a lot about each other and I don't think we'll forget the new divisions this has highlighted, but I think it might be time to move on.

You're right Span, let's let these wounds heal, I can't imagine what sort of person would keep dragging this out now.

Dirk wrote:Arrival has caused more divisions in CTF than Brexit did, since most of us were Remainers.

So that makes Deuts the Nigel Farage of the film appreciation world. And just like Farage he failed to appreciate the worth of immigrants.

Oh.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 am

A few:

A double bill of the two new Jumanji films with my kids. I love DTRJ and Gillan, and have plenty of time for Jack Black and little Kevin Hart, so was delighted that these two were genuinely great fun and funny too. I very much enjoyed the wry meta-ness of the stories, and how the performers managed to convince with their character continuations even as bodies were sometimes being swapped around.

Project Power. Jamie Foxx and Joseph Gordon Levitt rattle around in this new Netflix original about a designer drug that gives you superpowers for five minutes - although you never know what your power might be until you've taken the drug the first time. Even that brief summary makes it sound a lot more interesting than the film manages though, as aside from a couple of decent enough action sequences hung off the idea, there's actually nothing here to entertain.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation & Fallout double bill. I've seen these both plenty of times and they never stop being brilliant. In fact perhaps they even get MORE brilliant.

21 Bridges: a couple of trigger happy crims mow down swathes of New York's finest during a robbery, occasioning a desperate police manhunt that closes off all egress from Manhattan to trap the perps. I really enjoyed this. Chadwick Boseman is fab as the lead detective infamous to Internal Affairs for his tally of shootings. JK Simmons is fab as the Precinct Captain more interested in violent retribution than justice, for the robbers that have killed so many of his men. It's all grimy and gritty and night time, against the clock with options running out on both sides of the law, and it reminded me of the sort of Copsploitation fare that used to be a staple of action B movies from the 70s. It's taut and short and violent. Terrific.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:16 am

I’ve seen all of those and agree with the summaries.

Project Power reminded me of the Justin Timberlake film In Time. Potentially good idea really poorly executed.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:34 am

As I've probably said a million times, I don't really watch/enjoy many films but I watched one on Saturday.

Fisherman's Friends - The jaunty story of some Cornish fisherman who make a record.

I kind of enjoyed it, primarily because I love Cornwall, and sea shanties, but it was pretty bad. Some good acting and a few genuinely funny moments but it felt about an hour too long.

4/10
manfromdelmonte

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:37 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:As I've probably said a million times, I don't really watch/enjoy many films but I watched one on Saturday.

Fisherman's Friends - The jaunty story of some Cornish fisherman who make a record.

I kind of enjoyed it, primarily because I love Cornwall, and sea shanties, but it was pretty bad. Some good acting and a few genuinely funny moments but it felt about an hour too long.

4/10

I’ve seen that too and quite enjoyed it. If you read the actual story of the fishermen, the film has a certain amount of erm.. retelling but it’s a fun watch nonetheless.

In other film news, I’m considering going to the cinema to see Tenet. We have an Odeon Luxe near us so you’d be even further away from other patrons than normal. Bizarrely, you have to wear a mask except when eating and drinking in the cinema which makes me wonder how diligent people will actually be using masks because you could theoretically be eating popcorn for the entire duration.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by ypauly @ Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:53 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
span wrote:Well we've certainly all learned a lot about each other and I don't think we'll forget the new divisions this has highlighted, but I think it might be time to move on.

You're right Span, let's let these wounds heal, I can't imagine what sort of person would keep dragging this out now.

Dirk wrote:Arrival has caused more divisions in CTF than Brexit did, since most of us were Remainers.

Oh.

I have never seen arrival but will watch it the weekend just to see what the fuss is about
ypauly

Post by Strawman @ Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 am

The wolf of wall street

Strawman

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:00 pm

Laugh.

That reminds me, a mate was watching a film called A Lonely Place to Die and found this review of it online:

Screenshot_20200827-141133.jpg
Screenshot_20200827-141133.jpg (101.65 KiB) Viewed 421 times
manfromdelmonte

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:13 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:Laugh.

That reminds me, a mate was watching a film called A Lonely Place to Die and found this review of it online:
I quite like that film. I like Melissa George though.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:29 pm

Tenet.

Confusing.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Strawman @ Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Can you expand on that slightly Silver, did you play any part in it's production, were you at a test screening or the final edit, do you know Will Gompertz?
Strawman

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:44 am

Ok, to expand somewhat:

There are lots of websites which explain the inversion of time theory that the film is based around, so I’m not going to try to here. Suffice to say, it means the film is full of things which haven’t happened yet, might happen, or are happening on a different timeline.

It’s also quite confusing in a lot of ways, forex, most films for which the plot requires travelling to another country or a passage of time during plot points use some kind of scene or subtitle to communicate this to the viewer. Tenet doesn’t do this. Instead, in one shot the Protagonist is in India and in the next shot he’s in Tallinn but the viewer isn’t told this. Likewise, in one shot, Robert Pattinson is going to sleep and the next shot shows him sitting up talking but during that time they have travelled somewhere. Like Inception, I think it’s a film which would benefit from a second viewing.

If you don’t try to think too much about who is meant to be doing what at what point in time, it’s a great watch. The action sequences are breathtaking - I particularly loved the hijack scene. Kenneth Branagh is the baddie, Sator, a Russian arms dealer trying to obtain the algorithm of the time inversion thingy while the Protagonist (John David Washington) is trying to stop him. Elizabeth Debicki (from The Night Manager) is Sator’s wife and is utterly superb. All in all, I hugely enjoyed the film and want to see it again.

In terms of the COVID cinema experience, there was no enforcement of mask-wearing. In fact, several people in the foyer were openly not wearing them despite signs everywhere telling people to. Staff were also not wearing them which probably didn’t help. Social distancing wasn’t a problem due to the fact there were so few people there - bearing in mind yesterday was the first weekend of Tenet’s release, the cinema would have been packed but our screen had only about a third full.
Last edited by Clown Ice Skater #4 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 pm

And some more films:

A double bill of Liam Neeson films, Widows (not really about him but he is in it and his character is the catalyst for the whole plot) and Cold Pursuit (I believe a remake of Scandi comedy murder up In Order Of Disappearance).

Widows was quite good, effective tense criming by middle aged ladies. With the ace Elizabeth Debicki who is literally as tall as an actual house, and Daniel Kaluuya as a revoltingly sinister, casually violent enforcer.

Sadly it's saddled with the most blaters "twist" ending - although I suppose the obviousness might mean it's not meant to be a twist at all. I just can't tell any more.

Cold Pursuit is English-as-a-second-language mental. I didn't check but I wouldn't be surprised to find it was made my the same director of the original film, bringing very foreign sensibilities to this bizarre tale of a bereaved father's revenge on the drug gang that killed his son.

It's funny, but more in a what on earth? way than in a jokes way. And Neeson mostly seems like he doesn't quite understand what the film is or is trying to do.

Then there's the new-ish "live action" remake of The Jungle Book, which was solid enough entertainment. Two main thoughts though: the CGI, which is essentially everything except Mowgli, looks utterly, unarguably REAL. I know it wasn't, but there was no need to suspend disbelief as I was instantly convinced by all of it.

Secondly, it's just all a bit weird to have it be The Jungle Book, but look different and have all different voices. Bill Murray as Baloo? Bonkers to listen to. Christopher Walken as King Louie? Bonkers to listen to.

And doubly so when the songs happen.

Then finally Ready Or Not, where a hapless bride follows the family tradition of playing a game on her wedding night only to discover it's a murderous game of hide and seek. Really enjoyed this. Tongue firmly in cheek. Very effectively plays with a twist ending, laying it out and then confounding it immediately. Good gleeful grue and dark laughs.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:04 pm

So I went to see Tenet again because as an unemployed person, I can do this stuff.

.niaga ti ees ot tnaw dna mlif eht deyojne yleguh I ,lla ni llA .brepus ylrettu si dna efiw s’rotaS si )reganaM thgiN ehT morf( ikcibeD htebazilE .mih pots ot gniyrt si )notgnihsaW divaD nhoJ( tsinogatorP eht elihw ygniht noisrevni emit eht fo mhtirogla eht niatbo ot gniyrt relaed smra naissuR a ,rotaS ,eiddab eht si hganarB htenneK .enecs kcajih eht devol ylralucitrap I - gnikathtaerb era secneuqes noitca ehT .hctaw taerg a s’ti ,emit ni tniop tahw ta tahw gniod eb ot tnaem si ohw tuoba hcum oot kniht ot yrt t’nod uoy fI

.gniweiv dnoces a morf tifeneb dluow hcihw mlif a s’ti kniht I ,noitpecnI ekiL .erehwemos dellevart evah yeht emit taht gnirud tub gniklat pu gnittis mih swohs tohs txen eht dna peels ot gniog si nosnittaP treboR ,tohs eno ni ,esiwekiL .siht dlot t’nsi reweiv eht tub nnillaT ni s’eh tohs txen eht ni dna aidnI ni si tsinogatorP eht tohs eno ni ,daetsnI .siht od t’nseod teneT .reweiv eht ot siht etacinummoc ot eltitbus ro enecs fo dnik emos esu stniop tolp gnirud emit fo egassap a ro yrtnuoc rehtona ot gnillevart seriuqer tolp eht hcihw rof smlif tsom ,xerof ,syaw fo tol a ni gnisufnoc etiuq osla s’tI

.enilemit tnereffid a no gnineppah era ro ,neppah thgim ,tey deneppah t’nevah hcihw sgniht fo lluf si mlif eht snaem ti ,yas ot eciffuS .ereh ot yrt ot gniog ton m’I os ,dnuora desab si mlif eht taht yroeht emit fo noisrevni eht nialpxe hcihw setisbew fo stol era erehT
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Old Boy. Yes, the Spike Lee remake of the fan favourite Korean original, story sees a rotter kidnapped and imprisoned for 20 years for mysterious reasons by persons unknown. I liked it quite a bit, it's a bit po-faced but less hysterical than the Korean one. Spike Lee does get a bit carried away and over-directs some of it to the point of intrusion - one scene filmed in a single take just screeches "Look! Look though!! This is all one take! Yes, even with those shootings and stuff. I'm so cool". It isn't. It is long though, and has two of the most ghastly pantomime performances from actors; Samuel L Jackson and Sharlto Copley. Seeing SLJ be rubbish in it, you almost want to say "of course", because he's always rubbish in everything now. But he didn't used to be, so it still feels a shame and a disappointment. I'll get used to it eventually I suppose, or just avoid films he's in.

Quite good overall. 5.5

I watched this last night. I don't really know what to make of it. Pantomime is right and those two were cringeworthy.

The big fight scene was ridic. Probably the least believable thing I've witnessed in terms of one-guy-beats-up-all-the-baddies.

I think I enjoyed it but I really don't want to watch it again.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:59 am

Two films on Netflix with similar look and feel
The old Guard, which is not about a Garda one week away from retirement who falls at the last hurdle as the title suggests but sort of immortal beings who go around killing loads of nameless special forces types. Charlize Theron adds a bit of heft to the cast and the premise is decent. Based on a graphic novel with the film carring over some of the feel of a cell based medium with plenty of jump cuts. 6
The Bourne Legacy, the one Matt Damon doesn't appear in. Tries to fill in some of the background on the training programme he came from and how effective that is in the real world. The same "we must shut this down asap" is carried over from the previous Bourne films. A decent effort at extending the franchise and with some good set pieces plus it has the advantage of a more vunerable lead character, you feel he could be killed off at any time because not Jason Bourne. It's a long film and even with over 2 hours to play with some of the story seems to have been lost an edit, the romance/assister is somehow less convincing than the first Bourne film, still 5.5
Strawman

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:39 am

I took the boy to watch Tenet the other evening. Neither of us were particularly wanting to see the film, but just wanted to get out of the house. As it was, we were the only people in the cinema - the industry must be on its knees at the moment.

Anyway, being 12 my boy really couldn't follow it and I have to say I struggled a bit, but the concept of 'living backwards through time' as opposed to 'travelling back in time' is a good one. I'm not convinced the film made the best use of the idea though, or maybe it was just me not being a regular film-goer being too slow on the uptake.

So it's a 7 out of 10 from me.
Careless Whisperer

Post by span @ Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 am

The last film I saw was the latest Borat, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I do like SBC but the funniest bits were all his daughter, the actress was terrifically good, she has funny bones and whatever she does next I'll watch.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:22 pm

I've watched tons that I haven't told you about yet.

Fighting With My Family - I love FloPugh and Nick Frost and Lena Headey but all of them are underused in this, as it's fine but not stand out.

Black And Blue - terrific 70s-esque cop thriller with a modern techno edge. Reminded me of 21 Bridges which I also saw recently and feels like a proper dirty throwback.

VFW - I thought this was going to be an Assault On Precinct 13 style drama, but as soon as I saw the Fangoria logo at the start in the production credits, I realised it wasn't that at all. It's a splashily violent exploitationer of exploding heads and severings, crewed by veteran actors doing their chewy best. Feels similar to Hobo With A Shotgun with its gleeful hyper real unreality.

Enola Holmes - watched this with my daughter as I thought the costume drama girl power cleverness might appeal to her. Turns out it did to me, too. Millie Bobby Brown is fantastic, adorable and witty and surprisingly English after Stranger Things. Henry Cavill as Sherlock is as terrific as I wanted him to be (heart him!).

some Lord Of The Rings films - never seen any before, done two and mildly whelmed so far.

Anna And The Apocalypse - adorable wry girl versus zombies in the North of England musical comedy. Fab songs, decent performances. It's not Shaun Of The Dead, but it's fun enough nevertheless. Mrs Thorn watched it with me by accident and dubbed it "bonkers".
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:00 am

I forgot one! (I'm sure there's more than one, but that's how forgetting works isn't it?)

Underwater. Aliens mixed with The Descent mixed with [rec], it feels like, set at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. I really enjoyed this, it's brief and concentrated, a distilled dose of orrible monsters chasing hapless fodder around a legal environment, as survivor numbers dwindle in nasty ways. As you would expect.

But it's cleverly made. Streamlined and intelligent, and brutal when it needs to be. It feels like there's more background going on than the film needs to spell out and the cast is terrific. I love Vincent Cassel in everything, and I'm becoming increasingly surprised by how likeable Kristen Stewart is in the films I'm seeing her in. I might have judged her hardly based on Snow White, as she's ace in Charlie's Angels and really good in this as well.

Well done everybody!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:35 am

Just watched the Equalizer. And Equalizer 2.
Simple, violenty, Denzil Washingtony. Revengy.
Basically Denzil Washington runs around killing baddies impossibly easily.
Loved both of them and want there to be Equalizers 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 as I will never tire of such simple brain-out goodness
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:58 am

Turntable wrote:Just watched the Equalizer. And Equalizer 2.
Simple, violenty, Denzil Washingtony. Revengy.
Basically Denzil Washington runs around killing baddies impossibly easily.
Loved both of them and want there to be Equalizers 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 as I will never tire of such simple brain-out goodness

:D Exactly the same, loved them both.
Deuteronomy

Post by thumper @ Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:44 am

The Gentlemen.

Calling a Chinaman a Duck Eating Cnut makes it worth watching.
thumper

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club