What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Strawman @ Tue May 26, 2020 3:02 pm

stuart wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Celebrity Masterchef is starting soon.

I recognise 6 of them and only half of those because they have a name underneath.

Couldn't tell you who a single one of those people are.

Celebrity Masterchef has always scrapped the barrel thought hasn't it? Who actually famous has it ever had on?

Martin Luther King jr, Stravinsky, Pol Pot, John Knoakes....who hasn't it had on?
Strawman

Post by Strawman @ Tue May 26, 2020 3:05 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Gave in and watched Tiger King, mostly with my jaw on the floor.

I've now started White Lines which I think is excellent, a sizeable touch of Mad Dogs about it which is no bad thing. If I were to have a gripe everybody seems to know everybody else really well in a matter of minutes.

I found this very watchable, nice views of Ibiza, attractive background characters, vaguely nostalgic. The plotline is absolutely terrible though, I did make it to the end.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed May 27, 2020 7:37 am

Last night I watched the first episode of Gangs Of London. I don't remember it being mentioned on here?

It was utterly superb.

I hadn't realised as I'd been noticing trailers for it, but it's written and directed by Gareth Evans. Who made The Raid, and The Raid 2, and the astonishing Safe Haven segment from VHS2 that tt and I argued about all those years ago. How on earth can Evans do his signature horrifically brutal, starkly complex violence on telly?, I wondered. Oh. Like this. Even in this opening, establishing episode, there are two standout lengthy action sequences that had my jaw on the floor and my heart pounding. It bears comparison with anything you'll see in any feature film.

Dark and horribly grimy, gritty and dirty. Already-spiralling plot threads interweaving as a seeming power-vacuum at the head of a powerful London crime family leaves other interests vying to capitalise. Absolutely fantastic stuff. I wanted to bang straight through more episodes, but the opener is almost two hours long and it was past bedtime. I can't wait to watch more.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Wed May 27, 2020 9:40 am

The adverts for GoL look right up my street but Sky have wisely put it on Atlantic.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed May 27, 2020 11:03 am

I'm just On Demand ing it.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Bodhi @ Wed May 27, 2020 4:59 pm

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • It starts out really ridiculously violent and full on action and then becomes absolute tosh.The ending is just awful.
Bodhi

Post by S1K @ Wed May 27, 2020 8:39 pm

I watched three episodes then gave up. It could just be because I’m tired though.
S1K

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:46 pm

Finished GoL, absolutely brutal in places and gets a bit silly at times, but good.

White Lines, enjoyable.

Just started Upload: “A man is able to choose his own afterlife after his untimely death.” Has a touch of The Good Place about it, but shows promise. I think you’d like it span.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by span @ Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:45 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Just started Upload: “A man is able to choose his own afterlife after his untimely death.” Has a touch of The Good Place about it, but shows promise. I think you’d like it span.

Dibs, somehow you are a very good judge of stuff I like. I DO like Upload, a lot.

It's a little weak compared to things like The Good Place, but I love this type of programme so much that even a shit version (which this isn't) is still great and I could watch it all night long. I agree it shows promise and could end up being a total fave.
span

Post by WD40 @ Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:00 pm

Turntable wrote:I’m going to start the ball rolling with Don’t fcuk With Cats.
It’s a 3 part documentary about a bunch of geeks who band together to find a bloke who posts a video of himself killing some kittens (he suffocates them and you never actually see it). I can’t believe I didn’t know this story. You will be totally hooked.
Fyi the first 5 minutes or so are horribly uncomfortable as you often feel you are about to see the scene of the cat killings but you don’t at any point and it becomes much easier to watch

I've had that saved on my list for ages but am struggling to get past what I expected the start to be like as I'm very much a cat person, considerably moreso than a personperson. Will persevere given the above and update.

Eleven weeks of lockdown has given me an opportunity to catch up on an awful lot of stuff that I've heard about over the last couple of years, but never found time to devote to watching, so I'll attempt to give a short summary of each (in each case have binged each series from start to end):

Ozark - An awful lot better than expected, had put it off a while as I can't usually stand Jason Bateman in anything at all. Best character for me was the trailer trash girl and her progression.

Narcos - Absolutely fantastic series, learned an awful lot of Spanish swearing and learned a lot about the history of the cocaine and broader drugtrade, no cliched Scarface pastiches as anticipated. Was odd to feel sorry for Escobar at some points towards the end, estranged from his family. No idea of the level of corruption of the government that enabled it all. Raiding the supreme court to destroy all the evidence against him with an actual fcuking tank. Ballsy. That in turn led to:

Narcos: Mexico - a bit slower going and harder to stick with than the former at first, but again entertaining, unsettling and led to an awful lot of reading about the real people referenced in it. Staggering.

After Life 1 & 2 - never been a huge fan of RG bu tthis got so much coverage I had to relent. Glad I did as it was a real emotional rollercoaster (even for someone with the usual emotional range of Spock) and bloody hilarious in parts and plentiful but at no point gratuitous use of cnut. Second series could have been done without really. Disappointing. This then prompted viewing of:

Derek - absolutely brilliant. RG's best work as far as I can tell. By turns silly, amusing and at others very thought provoking about society and how we tend to view care work and old people.

The Witcher - really enjoyed this but had to watch the whole thing twice as at first I struggled to grasp the different timelines, just thought it was all out sync and hard to follow. Once that clicked into place it was great and I'd heartily recommend to any fans of tits and wizards stuff.

House of Cards - gave this a go as I've always liked US political dramas, but not watched any for years as the live show has been better than anything that satire can throw up. Kevin Spacey as good an actor as ever, however unpopular that may be to say in retrospect now. Did justice to the original BBC series which I loved a long time ago, considerably better than expected. The last series once he had been dropped was however, predictably dire.

Designated Survivor - didn't expect a lot, wasn't disappointed. A bunch of mainly Canadians being American politicians, Kiefer Sutherland suited the role well, against expectation (but now we're used to US presidents not having gravitas as such). Interesting basic premise too, got a bit silly and predictably jingoistic the longer it went on.

Sons of Anarchy - couldn't get past the pilot, hated everyone in it and couldn't get into it at all beyond that.

White Lines - same as above.

Top Boy - very glad this was recommended to me as another spin on the drug life, with a contemporary UK spin. Surprisingly didn't need subtitles, ten years in Bracknell and childhood and adolescence in the councilly bits of Slough served me well. Great acting across the board and was hooked from the start to finish.

Always Sunny In Philadelphia - how on earth had I not come across this in the many years in has been around, right up my street as a bunch of dysfunctional narcissists/sociopaths engage in generally amoral behaviour, dark humour and slapstick. Up to series 5 and it gets better as it goes on. Danny DeVito is hilarious from S2 onwards.

Star Trek: The Original Series - had somehow neglected to watch a single complete episode in my almost forty years despite loving The Next Generation and growing up watching all the films over an over (The Motion Picture is literally rolling in the background as I type this). How utterly brilliant, complete with hilariously shit effects and visuals and tongue-in-cheek acting.

Better Call Saul - having hugely enjoyed Breaking Bad a few years ago, I couldn't not watch this. Early series were harder going, couldn't stand the mental brother etc. Enjoyed the development of Jimmy and Mike and backstory behind Fring's operation in BB. Rewatched BB afterwards and then sadly made the mistake of watching El Camino. That was very poor and could have been left on the drawing board. Never really liked Jesse anyway.

Altered Carbon - read the basic concept and it seemed suitably weird. First season was interesting and a good story, second seemed strained and failed to explore some of the unanswered potential that the first season set up, the morality of it, mostly just lots of very well shot violence.

Fargo - loved the 90s film and this had Ewan McGregor in it so had to be watched. Didn't disappoint and wish there were more of it to watch. Suitably quirky characters and lots of amusing coincidences and chains of unintended consequences type stuff, told over several decades of a family's life.

Mindhunter - always enjoy a bit of forensic psychology, the darker the better. I didn't know before watching it was the real story of how the FBI's behavioural science unit was established and how the phenomenon of the serial killer came to be what it is today. Very dark in places as you'd expect, light on the actual depiction of the violence it describes, a bit like Silence of the Lambs in that its best work is putting the images in your own head without putting them on screen.

I think that's it. A few books to write up later and have learned three new languages to a basic level of competence so have made the most of the time I feel. After I completed the 'hub in the first fortnight, of course.
WD40

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Bloody hell WD, have you been out of your shed at all !
DI Burnside

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:07 pm

span wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Just started Upload: “A man is able to choose his own afterlife after his untimely death.” Has a touch of The Good Place about it, but shows promise. I think you’d like it span.

Dibs, somehow you are a very good judge of stuff I like. I DO like Upload, a lot.

It's a little weak compared to things like The Good Place, but I love this type of programme so much that even a shit version (which this isn't) is still great and I could watch it all night long. I agree it shows promise and could end up being a total fave.

We just seem to like similar things, so when I like something I usually think “span will like this”.
DI Burnside

Post by dirtyboy @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Not often I find something on Prime, but wife and I have just started watching Little Fires Everywhere.

It's got me guessing a lot...and changing my mind...a lot...and changing my opinion on characters at every turn.

Really hooked and stayed up well past my bedtime to catch the next episode.
dirtyboy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:31 pm

Mrs Thorn wants to watch Little Fires as she enjoyed the book, but I've got no interest in watching it. Should I give it a go?
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Bodhi @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Need Thorn wants to watch Little Does as she enjoyed the book, but I've got no interest in watching it. Should I give it a go?

I watched the first couple of episodes but found it too much like a teen drama - it might be because there's a guy from Dawson's Creek in it, but teen drama is what it felt like and so I gave up. Like a sulky teen.
Bodhi

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:22 pm

I am being force feed Glee on Netflix by my daughters.

It is annoyingly entertaining, in a mildly ludicrous way. But I am annoyed I find it all entertaining.
Greg66

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:28 am

Watched the first two episodes of Space Force last night, really enjoyed them.
Deuteronomy

Post by dirtyboy @ Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:06 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Mrs Thorn wants to watch Little Fires as she enjoyed the book, but I've got no interest in watching it. Should I give it a go?

I thought it was really good....not sure what a teen drama is as I don't watch them....it's got more than enough to keep you engaged for the 8 episodes with a satifying ending to boot.
dirtyboy

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 am

As always I'm dead up to date with my television watching. I watched This Is England the other day and notice that there were follow up TV series. Are they worth watching?
manfromdelmonte

Post by WD40 @ Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:25 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Bloody hell WD, have you been out of your shed at all !

Barely, I was built for lockdown! :hehe:
WD40

Post by Dr Wolff @ Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:45 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Gave in and watched Tiger King, mostly with my jaw on the floor.

I've now started White Lines which I think is excellent, a sizeable touch of Mad Dogs about it which is no bad thing. If I were to have a gripe everybody seems to know everybody else really well in a matter of minutes.
And the speed at which Marcus goes from shattered leg to externally fixated leg to plaster cast to walking boot to espadrilles - about four episodes, less than a week in White Lines timezone!! Worthy of Doc McCoy on speed for miracle cures.
Dr Wolff

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Dr Wolff wrote:

And the speed at which Marcus goes from shattered leg to externally fixated leg to plaster cast to walking boot to espadrilles - about four episodes, less than a week in White Lines timezone!! Worthy of Doc McCoy on speed for miracle cures.

Yes, same for Boxer's harpoon injury.
Deuteronomy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 pm

I am finally getting around to watching Gangs of London. I’d put it off because the review I saw said that the first episode was brutal and gruesome and as it’s mostly over dinner that we watch stuff, I didn’t want to be put off my dinner. As it turns out, it IS brutal and gruesome, but it’s also very watchable and has a touch of Shadow Line (which I still think is the best thing the BBC has done) about it.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:20 am

The Joy of Painting with Bob the hippy.

It sounds shit but it's strangely compelling and calming to watch.
1970's man paints a landscape picture in oils in 30 mins. Very calming voice.
He makes paint marks on the canvas and you can't imagine how it looks like a tree for example, then he adds some more paint and wallop! a tree is born. Same for mountains and sky and rivers.

Watch it before you criticise ok?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:13 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I am finally getting around to watching Gangs of London. I’d put it off because the review I saw said that the first episode was brutal and gruesome and as it’s mostly over dinner that we watch stuff, I didn’t want to be put off my dinner. As it turns out, it IS brutal and gruesome, but it’s also very watchable and has a touch of Shadow Line (which I still think is the best thing the BBC has done) about it.
I really enjoyed GOL. The first episode blew me away and there's plenty more that's just as exciting as you go through. I do agree with Bodhi though that it runs out of steam as it gets to the end. And the conclusion was a bit baffling.

Still. Top (brutal) work.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:52 am

Il Duce wrote:The Joy of Painting with Bob the hippy.

He makes paint marks on the canvas and you can't imagine how it looks like a tree for example, then he adds some more paint and wallop! a tree is born. Same for mountains and sky and rivers.

I can believe that. I went to a talk someone was giving about watercolour painting in a village hall in the Lake District on a rainy day. I haven't touched watercolours since primary school or tried to paint anything except in the protective coating sense, but I found it really fcuking interesting hearing how the various techniques work and how the painting develops. I even had quite a long and detailed discussion with the speaker about it all afterwards. It completely isn't my usual thing at all but nevertheless it was fascinating.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by minimoog @ Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:55 am

Yeah a bit of Bob Ross is good for de-stressing.

Also makes for good twitter inspiration

Bob Ross: what the heck, let's get crazy. Let's add another cloud right here

Me: fcuk em up Bobby
minimoog

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:17 pm

At Uni, we used to watch that when recovering from hangovers - very soporific.
Deuteronomy

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:36 pm

I remember Bob and his happy little trees.

Unlike Deuts I think I only watched it when drunk. Come home pissed. Too pissed to go to bed. Whats on TV?
"....and lets draw some more happy little trees over here"
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:Watched the first two episodes of Space Force last night, really enjoyed them.

Series has been pretty good. Love the digs at POTUS
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club