What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I am finally getting around to watching Gangs of London. I’d put it off because the review I saw said that the first episode was brutal and gruesome and as it’s mostly over dinner that we watch stuff, I didn’t want to be put off my dinner. As it turns out, it IS brutal and gruesome, but it’s also very watchable and has a touch of Shadow Line (which I still think is the best thing the BBC has done) about it.
I really enjoyed GOL. The first episode blew me away and there's plenty more that's just as exciting as you go through. I do agree with Bodhi though that it runs out of steam as it gets to the end. And the conclusion was a bit baffling.

Still. Top (brutal) work.

I used to quite like the song ‘Only You’. :(
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:22 pm

I know I is well behind the curve with this but we just started watching Hanna. I really liked the film and tbh thought the series would be crap but it’s actually great. Very much enjoying it.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by stuart @ Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:53 pm

The Dracula mini series on Netflix, I absolutely loved it!

Especially the modern day stuff, I thought it was a brilliant take on the Dracula book.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:58 pm

stuart wrote:The Dracula mini series on Netflix, I absolutely loved it!

Especially the modern day stuff, I thought it was a brilliant take on the Dracula book.

Is that the one with Claes Bang? If so, that was superb.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by span @ Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:04 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I know I is well behind the curve with this but we just started watching Hanna. I really liked the film and tbh thought the series would be crap but it’s actually great. Very much enjoying it.

Oh me too! It's enjoyable to a surprising degree!
span

Post by stuart @ Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:07 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
stuart wrote:The Dracula mini series on Netflix, I absolutely loved it!

Is that the one with Claes Bang? If so, that was superb.

Yes, he was great as Dracula!
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Dr Wolff @ Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:36 am

Queen of the South
Series 1 - potential
Series 2 - shark jumped
Series 3 - sentimental drivel. Yawn. Drug dealer with conscience and doting minions. Yeah, right. Really starting to hate the fake Mexicana accents now
Series 4 - looking unlikely

Does that need a spoiler alert?
Dr Wolff

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:13 pm

I started watching Little Fires Everywhere the other day on Prime and like it a lot. It’s set in 1997 and has Reese Witherspoon in it as the uber mom. It’s got a touch of Big Little Lies to it which isn’t surprising, I suppose seeing as she produced it too. Some of the dialogue is a bit clunky and it touches quite heavily on race issues but it’s an enjoyable watch, despite me wanting to slap Mia’s supercilious sneer every time it crosses her face.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:00 am

I've just finished Devs.

Literally just finished: I don't mean I watched it last night, I got up this morning at 6:30 to watch the final episode.

I'll explain. I know we were talking about Devs here ages ago, but I've had a real issue watching it. Mrs Thorn insisted that she wanted to see it with me, but every episode we watched seemed to have an irresistibly soporific effect on her. She would doze off and we would have to rewind it so she could catch up once I'd jabbed her awake. This would happen several times during an episode, and often we would abandon it and go to bed, only to try that episode again a day or two later. Finally she conceded that there was no point in her trying any more, and I was free to watch it on my own.

So last night I bashed through three episodes back to back and began a fourth, the finale. But it was late by then and I was tired, so I went to bed. I watched the finale early this morning.

And I raced through those episodes all at once because, frankly, it's one of the best things I've seen on telly for absolutely ages. I found it utterly enthralling. It's 100% Alex Garland, which I adore. But not the Dredd Alex Garland (which I adore), the Ex Machina Alex Garland (which I adore). Or the Annihilation Alex Garland, perhaps. So clever, but so very esoteric. Writing, performances, visual effects, sheer ideas - all just top notch. I absolutely loved it, and right at this moment I can't think of any other series I've watched which I've thought quite so profoundly affecting.

Perhaps as it percolates with me for a few days I'll see through some of the artifice of it, perhaps it'll seem even better. For now, though, I'll say that it was superb.

It's a drama about software engineers, and about the project they're working on, and it isn't what you think. I won't say any more about the plot than that.

It's on iPlayer and you should watch it.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:38 am

I thought Devs was great right up until the ending. Hated the main character but everything else, esp the ex-bf, was brilliant.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:17 pm

I started watching Devs and really liked it, but Mr C hasn’t yet decided if he wants to continue with it so I’ve stalled somewhat.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Dr Wolff @ Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:38 am

Just finished Devs after you all got talking about it. I agree it was great watching but I am unsure about the ending. What I did just realise though is that it is one of the few things I have watched recently that wasn't about drug cartels! So a refreshing change
Dr Wolff

Previous

Return to Nervy's Culture Club