What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I think I always (cynically) had Mitch down as painting himself as the good guy

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • tbh I wasn't sure if he was painting himself like that or if he was indeed that. Not "good", since he was a sleazy older guy cheating on his wife with younger women, but I wasn't certain whether he was just caught up in #MeToo with the knee jerk reactions to any suggestion that he might have been abusing his power and taking advantage. In hindsight of course that's what it was going to be about. A show couldn't get made today where the takeaway message is "Well, actually men aren't all that bad and sometimes women are just liars". Plus when we got the hotel scene and any doubts were gone.

That said, my wife was asking "What did she think was going to happen?" when she went up to the room with the known shagger? Also at no point did she actually say no or stop. Don't get me wrong, it was some utterly skin crawling sleazy shit and as a dad of a daughter it made me want to throw fists, but you can understand why he thought there was consent.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:44 am

The new series of Cormoran Strike is on iPlayer.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by S1K @ Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:22 am

Watched the first Strike last night. Reliably good viewing.
S1K

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:09 pm

Have we mentioned It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

fcuking hell, it’s funny. Incredibly distasteful. And superb.
Greg66

Post by S1K @ Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:41 pm

All I watch is Homes Under The Hammer.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:52 am

I've watched tons I haven't told you about. Season 2 of The Umbrella Academy. The latest Strike series, Lethal White. Lucifer. Some Altered Carbon.

I'm plussing Us off BBC, as I was smitten with the book a few years back - but haven't actually watched any yet.

Tried to watch Lovecraft Country, hoping for another Watchmen-esque brain wobbler. But couldn't get more than a few minutes in without abandoning it. Plussing The Third Day because it looked interesting, but again not watched any episodes yet.

I find I'm surprisingly excited about the return of Top Gear this weekend. The on-paper Bruxism-inducing trio of Harris/Flintoff/McGuiness has turned out to be right up my straße and I enjoy the stupid bickering.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:01 am

Greg66 wrote:Have we mentioned It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

fcuking hell, it’s funny. Incredibly distasteful. And superb.

Big fan of Always Sunny.

I love how purile the show is. Also how bitesize they make the episodes and also that they keep on making them. 124 so far with 15th season announced.
thekungfury

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:03 am

The Boys is back on Amazon and there are some fantastic WTF scenes.

I’m convinced they made his accent “British” because the word cnut sounds better than in his native tongue.
thekungfury

Post by span @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am

thekungfury wrote:The Boys is back on Amazon and there are some fantastic WTF scenes.

I’m convinced they made his accent “British” because the word cnut sounds better than in his native tongue.

We finally started watching this recently and finished the final episode of the first series last night.

It's great, I love it. I was hesitant because you lot had said it was very violent, but upon watching I realised it's that kind of over-the-top, cartoonish violence that won't disturb my sleep.

I was halfway through the first series before realising that Karl Urban is being British and not Australian, but somehow his ridick accent works. In fact I just looked him up and learned he's from New Zealand - that makes me think he's doing that crazy accent on purpose. He must know better.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:04 am

I haven't had time to watch The Boys S2 yet, but can't wait to.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:49 pm

You’ll both love S2 for the cartoonish violence.

Datho remember the incroyable cow scene in Watchmen? Similar, but whale.
thekungfury

Post by foo @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:13 pm

I ran out of things to watch so thought I'd watch The Boys through my Prime thing. I've not watched a TV series in a very long time. I did the whole first series and most of the second in a couple of evenings.

I think I was saying "WTF" every few minutes :) I'm not one for gore so had to look away a couple of times for I am a wuss.
foo
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:49 pm

The 7:39 was recently repeated and so is on iPlayer. 2 part drama with Sheridan Smith and Olivia Coleman along with a Northern bloke. I really enjoyed it first time around.
manfromdelmonte

Post by span @ Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:20 am

foo wrote:I'm not one for gore so had to look away a couple of times for I am a wuss.

That's what we're both like, foo. And you learn to expect those awful shocks, so there are points when we both instinctively look away from the screen and nothing happens.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • Like when after his accident, A Train was training by pulling a train (hey, is that why he's called....) anyway he was straining really hard and Mr S and I both looked away, expecting his still-mending leg to re-break straight out of his leg and then probably poke into his eye or something and then land on a poo
span

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Span, the new series of the Haunting of Hill House is on, except it’s called the Haunting of Bly Manor. I’m halfway through the first episode and it’s frankly not great but I’m going to give it a go. It’s meant to be set in EngLAND and they have a very English child declaring everything to be Perfectly Splendid to make it more authentic.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Previous

Return to Nervy's Culture Club