Great Magazine Articles

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: Great Magazine Articles

Post by Paul H @ Sun May 19, 2019 7:37 am

Long piece on privacy in the modern age.

https://idlewords.com/talks/senate_test ... Sf__X2HW9w
Paul H

Post by thekungfury @ Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm

This is a good read. Anti-Islam Twitter loon agrees to meet the journalist Muslim he’s been abusing.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/m ... obic-troll

A middle-aged man opened the door, wearing a pair of three-quarter-length khaki shorts and a plain blue T-shirt with two yellow stains on the front.

True Brit immediately shook my hand and welcomed me into his home, warning me not to take off my shoes in case I accidentally stepped in cat poo. He introduced himself as Phil. He was short, with broad shoulders that rolled forward as he moved into his default slouch. In harsh light, a slight paunch was visible. He had thin wisps of light brown hair that barely covered his receding hairline and uneven stubble covering his face.

PH
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm

thekungfury wrote:This is a good read. Anti-Islam Twitter loon agrees to meet the journalist Muslim he’s been abusing.

A middle-aged man opened the door, wearing a pair of three-quarter-length khaki shorts and a plain blue T-shirt with two yellow stains on the front.

True Brit immediately shook my hand and welcomed me into his home, warning me not to take off my shoes in case I accidentally stepped in cat poo. He introduced himself as Phil. He was short, with broad shoulders that rolled forward as he moved into his default slouch. In harsh light, a slight paunch was visible. He had thin wisps of light brown hair that barely covered his receding hairline and uneven stubble covering his face.

PH

Ha. Interesting article too!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:This is a good read. Anti-Islam Twitter loon agrees to meet the journalist Muslim he’s been abusing.

PH

Yes, very.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Thu May 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Good article but sooooo PH it hurts.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:26 pm

An interesting and extensive analysis of the flight MH370 disappearance: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... es/590653/
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Paul H @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:28 am

A short piece about photographing a nuclear explosion.

https://roamaboutmike.com/2013/02/15/ra ... n-3-shots/
Paul H

Post by Dirk @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 am

Paul H wrote:A short piece about photographing a nuclear explosion.

Excellent
Dirk

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:12 am

Dirk wrote:
Paul H wrote:A short piece about photographing a nuclear explosion.

Excellent

Yes!
Deuteronomy

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:58 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

PH

Yes, very.

Jesus.

I realise this might sound melodramatic, but that article highlights very effectively the way in which the internet is operating to break down society. Less and less face to face interaction* leads to greater insularity, which in turn leads to people turning to a rabbit-hole-cum-echo chamber of youtube, twitter and social media input feeding their social dysfunction.

It's very little different to stories of how young Muslims get radicalised, except that Phil has the internet as his radicaliser rather than an actual speaking person.

*trivial example: Pizza Express now has an app that allows you to order from your phone at the table, and pay from your phone at the table. Two fewer interactions with waiting staff.
Greg66

Post by stuart @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:43 am

Greg66 wrote: *trivial example: Pizza Express now has an app that allows you to order from your phone at the table, and pay from your phone at the table. Two fewer interactions with waiting staff.

I... Like this idea...
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:44 am

Greg66 wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

PH

Yes, very.

Jesus.

I realise this might sound melodramatic, but that article highlights very effectively the way in which the internet is operating to break down society. Less and less face to face interaction* leads to greater insularity, which in turn leads to people turning to a rabbit-hole-cum-echo chamber of youtube, twitter and social media input feeding their social dysfunction.

It's very little different to stories of how young Muslims get radicalised, except that Phil has the internet as his radicaliser rather than an actual speaking person.

*trivial example: Pizza Express now has an app that allows you to order from your phone at the table, and pay from your phone at the table. Two fewer interactions with waiting staff.

If you're eating in PE you're pretty much a lost cause anyway.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Strawman @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:46 am

Greg66 wrote: *trivial example: Pizza Express now has an app that allows you to order from your phone at the table, and pay from your phone at the table. Two fewer interactions with waiting staff.

I read a comment recently about the introduction of self service tills in supermarkets, they thought it wasn't solely for convenience it was also that people didn't want to interact with shop staff, which is a depressing thought.
Strawman

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:27 am

stuart wrote:

I... Like this idea...

The thing is Stuart, you seem very vulnerable to indoctrination.... So anyway, I'm starting a cult, yeah?
Deuteronomy

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 am

The Brexiteers favourite establishment, Wetherspoons, has been doing that for years. Given the quality if their staff, it can be a godsend...
Careless Whisperer

Post by S1K @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:08 pm

Il Duce wrote:If you're eating in PE you're pretty much a lost cause anyway.

I don’t mind Pizza Express. Pizza Hut is terrible but Pizza Express can be okay if you choose the right things off the menu.
S1K

Post by Strawman @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:09 pm

S1K wrote:

I don’t mind Pizza Express. Pizza Hut is terrible but Pizza Express can be okay if you choose the right things off the menu.

Pineapple?
Strawman

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:12 pm

S1K wrote:

I hate pizza express due to their involvement with Luke Johnson.
Deuteronomy

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:17 pm

S1K wrote:

Glass of water?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:37 pm

Il Duce wrote:
S1K wrote:

Glass of water?

Nah.

Double espresso is good though.
Greg66

Post by stuart @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:02 pm

Id is right, Pizza Express is awful.

Finding good pizza is really hard, Pizza Punks is Glasgow is good. But that's really it for Pizza in the entire city from what I've tried so far.

Most pizza places are just terrible.
stuart

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:14 pm

stuart wrote:Id is right, Pizza Express is awful.

Finding good pizza is really hard, Pizza Punks is Glasgow is good. But that's really it for Pizza in the entire city from what I've tried so far.

Most pizza places are just terrible.

You think?? I genuinely find it one of the worst pizza places in town...dry, burned and with bits of fcuking nacho crumbled on top...wtf??

Have you tried Baffo at Kelvingrove? Superior pizza IMO.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Dirk @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:06 pm

Let's face it. Stuart was probably eating the plate. It's roughly the same shape as a pizza after all
Dirk

Post by minimoog @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 pm

I thought Paesano at Kelvinbridge was decent and sensible money.
minimoog

Post by stuart @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:04 pm

minimoog wrote:I thought Paesano at Kelvinbridge was decent and sensible money.

I trid that place once but the Pizza I got was incredibly soggy.
stuart

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:21 pm

stuart wrote:
minimoog wrote:I thought Paesano at Kelvinbridge was decent and sensible money.

I trid that place once but the Pizza I got was incredibly soggy.

Stop dipping it in your beer then.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:04 pm

Greg66 wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

PH

Yes, very.

Jesus.

I’m not convinced that interactions, or lack of, with staff in pizza express are meaningful at all. I would love an app to be able to pay for a meal rather than the annoyingly period of time after getting the bill and waiting for the card machine. Drives me crazy!!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Revol @ Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:00 pm

Revol

Post by Pigeon @ Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 pm

That's excellent.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Strawman @ Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Not sure where to put this, could be in a film thread but Alan Moore on why he doesn't like superhero films from a couple of years ago

From this blog, which is like a magazine article

https://alanmooreworld.blogspot.com/201 ... archy.html
Strawman

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club