An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Computers, gaming, gadgets and geekery.

Re: An Old Man's Guide To Console Gaming

Post by S1K @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:55 pm

I never got round to updating my PS3 even though I used to spend countless hours playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas and the GTA series and Skyrim. I don’t think I’d use a PS4 or whatever the equivalent is now.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Historically, I'm at least one generation behind games technology. And with PS5 due next year it seems the right time for me to belatedly get one. My children are young enough to enjoy it for a while, and I think I'd probably waste a bit of time on it if it was there. Which it will be.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:16 pm

Talking gaming, Call of Duty came out recently on mobile. It’s free to play on your phone/tablet with loads of multiplayer games.

Some of the maps are exactly the same as the ones they had when I used to play COD 15(?) years ago and it’s giving me superb nostalgia
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:29 pm

My son plays it on his phone and apparently he is phenomenally good at it. I played one game and got royally cross and rage quit. Quitted.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:13 pm

I've just bought a pile of nerd bits to upgrade my nerd box. Fans (tbf I have at least 2 case fans where the bearings are fcuked, so this is actually reasonable), new CPU (Ryzen 7 3700x), new GPU (Radeon 5700XT), new PSU.

I have successfully convinced myself that the modest resale value of the old bits will more than offset this outlay.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:19 pm

The PS4 I just got came with Call Of Duty. So I'm going to need ideas for other games I can unveil come Christmas.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:21 pm

Horizon Zero Dawn is supposed to be reet good.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:42 pm

I've heard that too actually. Personally I fancy AC: Odyssey, but I'm looking for something the kids might enjoy.

Presumably there's all stuff like Minecraft etc to download?

e: I'm trying to avoid being one of those parents that lets a 13 year old play Modern Warfare.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:42 pm

CJ+ wrote:Horizon Zero Dawn is supposed to be reet good.

It's the best game on ps4.

The story is fantastic and the main character Eloy is great.
Last edited by stuart on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:39 pm

stuart wrote:
thekungfury wrote:I saw an advert for Death Stranding the other day which looked amazing. Don't have anything to play it on though.

It does look amazing BUT the gameplay is you walking about for hours on end deliverying packages.

It's literally an amazon delivery driver simulator.

And if you don't walk carefully, you can fall over and your packages get damaged, you fall, they get scattered and you have to pick them up all again.

That's 90% of the gameplay.

Remember that QWOP game with the wonky runner, you had to make his legs work ? It's kinda like that with nice graphics.

It's Norman Reedus and his Magic Foetus.
CJ+

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 am

I had to use a voucher over Xmas so I got myself a Switch Lite.

So far, I think it’s excellent. I got a game where you play a massive cnut goose what terrorises an English village and it’s my favourite thing ever. You just cut about making people fall in ponds and break things and so on. Magic.

I also downloaded an Assassin’s Crews game and can scarcely believe how good it looks.

That aside, I know nothing about video games these days so can anyone tell me some things to play? I know there’s an amazing Zelda game but sadly I see things like “500 hours of play” as a negative as I’ll struggle to find 5 hours to play.

I’m hoping it will let me play games a bit more in bed etc whilst the missus is asleep.

Anyone else got one?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:31 am

Untitled Goose Game looks ridiculous!

From history, I'm a big Nintendo fan, but I never got on with the Wii at all. Switch looks much better, but I don't know how the Lite differs.

Since Christmas Day, we have already accrued the following PlayStation games:

Minecraft
God Of War
Apex Legends
Fortnite
Titanfall 2
Modern Warfare
Gran Turismo
Lego Harry Potter
Uncharted 4

Probably enough to keep my children (and me) out of mischief for the rest of the actual year.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:36 am

Sorry dis, despite being an even bigger gamer nerd than datho, I've not owned a Nintendo product since I got rid of my Gamecube approximately a hundred years ago. On my PC, I've been playing the shit out of Rage 2, The Outer Worlds, Destiny 2, and (on the XBox) a bit of Elite:Dangerous. None of which are useful to you because even if they're on the Switch (might be, I dunno), they're not really pick-up-and-play-for-ten-minutes; a session of each is a couple of hours, really.

On datho's list, the only one I can really speak to is Titanfall 2, which is all sorts of wonderful, not least because it is "pick up for ten minutes at a time"-able, because that's how long the multiplayer matches last.

Oh, and the Lego game. These things are ridiculous fun. I have Lego Batman 3 on the XBox, and I <3 it. And that's with me not giving even the faintest of shits about superheroes in general.
Last edited by CJ+ on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 am

Disastrous wrote:massive cnut goose what terrorises an English village and it’s my favourite thing ever. You just cut about making people fall in ponds and break things and so on. Magic.

Scots enjoy terrorising English villages

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Disastrous wrote:I also downloaded an Assassin’s Crews game and can scarcely believe how good it looks.

Is that Assassin's Creed Odyssey, by any chance? I haven't played that but I think it looks incredible. But I have heard it's also endlessly massive.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Is Call Of Duty available on Switch? It’s on mobile which is great fun. Loads of different formats to either pick up and play a 5 minute multiplayer game or have a big 100 player battle royale.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:55 pm

The new Modern Warfare reboot is utterly terrifying on PlayStation! Not the multiplayer, that's the usual hilarious, infuriating mix of two second wtfs and agonising sneaky tiptoes death avoidance, the single player campaign, which is horribly realistic and like being in an actual war, frankly.

So get that Dis, if you can.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:02 pm

It *might* be coming to Switch by all accounts. But isn’t yet.

I could play it on my PS4 which I don’t use I suppose, but won’t, as I don’t use it. :(

The Assassin’s Creed game is ‘3’ which is set in Boston and a boat so far. It’s very good.

But nothing is as good as the Goose Game and you should all get it at once.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:47 pm

I've just finished playing through a game called Uncharted 4. Many of you will know what this is, but if you don't it's like a quippier, jollier Tomb Raider. Treasure hunting and traversal and environmental puzzle solving, seasoned with just a few too many to be fun combat sequences.

There's no gore or stomach churning error repercussions, so it all feels much friendlier. If it was a film, it would star Nathan Fillion and it would be exciting and funny. It also looks absolutely gorgeous, even on my lowly hd telly. Photorealistic landscapes ranging the globe, and tremendous attention to detail - clothes that get dirtier, dust motes twinkling in beams of sunlight. Amazing.

So. That took me about 25 hours to finish, and now I've started playing God Of War. I'm about an hour in, or so - just completed the fight with The Stranger, if you know it. It's utterly brutal. Bloody and crunchingly violent and bleak and stoic.

The eponymous lead character, Kratos, has a voice so very deep and gruff that it seems to emanate solely from my sub woofer, vibrating through my very bones instead of my eardrums.

And as he spends so much of his time telling off his impetuous young son, it means Junior Thorn can look forward to a while of me booming "You're not ready! Boy!" at him. Excellent.

Boy!!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:41 pm

I remember the old God of War games, they were really hard!
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:53 pm

The fight with The Stranger was shockingly hard, and comes out of nowhere early on while you're still figuring out the buttons.

I'm playing on Normal difficulty, which is the middle of three levels. Although actually four, because there is a lunatic hard difficulty level above them.

Boy!!
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:00 pm

A lad at work was talking about Escape From Tarkov today. I watched some streams of it earlier and it looks intense and realistic, as realistic as these games can be. Your teammates don’t have a name above their head so it’s very easy to panic and shoot them. I don’t have anything to play it on but it looks cool.
thekungfury

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:12 pm

Uncharted 4 is what I have for my PS4. I love it though I got stuck on a bit where you have to escape baddies on a motorbike and haven’t played it in a while.

I see him as Ken Marino btw.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:37 pm

If you like Uncharted, you'll maybeprobably like the Just Cause games, too. It's basically a game where you blow everything up, on a huge tropical island.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 pm

thekungfury wrote:A lad at work was talking about Escape From Tarkov today. I watched some streams of it earlier and it looks intense and realistic, as realistic as these games can be. Your teammates don’t have a name above their head so it’s very easy to panic and shoot them. I don’t have anything to play it on but it looks cool.
A YouTube bloke whose videos I quite enjoy plays some of that and I know what you mean. Although for my money, the new Modern Warfare is absolutely as realistic. Even moreso when you're in Realism Moshpit, which has no HUD at all.

MW (as I think I've said before) is just terrifying. It looks REAL.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 pm

Disastrous wrote:Uncharted 4 is what I have for my PS4. I love it though I got stuck on a bit where you have to escape baddies on a motorbike and haven’t played it in a while.

I see him as Ken Marino btw.
To my itty bitty credit, I never got stuck anywhere in UC4. Some bits took a fair while to fathom, and some challenges to a while to overcome; but I finished the whole thing without resorting to tips or help.

>Proud<
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:49 pm

CJ+ wrote:If you like Uncharted, you'll maybeprobably like the Just Cause games, too. It's basically a game where you blow everything up, on a huge tropical island.
I tried JC3 (?) once, but found the novelty of the super destructive action/demolition wore off quite quickly. It's the sort of thing where you could easily make a trailer that makes the game look amazing fun, but actually playing it would be less so.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:52 pm

And playing a little bit of God Of War tonight, I appear to have unlocked the ability to literally chop people in two with my axe. And stomp enemies' heads to actual mush on the ground. Oof!

Boy!!
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 am

Have you played the Far Cry series? They’re pretty good fun.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:22 am

Some of them. I started with Instincts, a very long time ago, and lived that. Then FC4, but I never got very far with it as I got bafflingly bogged down with side quests and crafting, and got so off mission I didn't know what I was trying to do.

But yes, they were good.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Computers & Gaming & Gadgets