Recommend me a whisky please

Eat, drink and be merry.

Re: Recommend me a whisky please

Post by deev @ Wed May 13, 2020 11:56 pm

Kilchoman. Its Brill. Laphroaig is still the best though.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by wi11iam @ Thu May 14, 2020 9:45 am

Will put Laphroaig on the list, although now queued behind the Glenmorangie and another Kilchoman and the rate I drink it that will probably make it a Christmas pressie. Which is no bad thing.
wi11iam

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Thu May 14, 2020 2:24 pm

wi11iam wrote:Will put Laphroaig on the list, although now queued behind the Glenmorangie and another Kilchoman and the rate I drink it that will probably make it a Christmas pressie. Which is no bad thing.

Laphroaig is definitely quite far along towards the seaweed and, dare I say it, disinfectant end of the scale. If pubs were open you could try a dram there and see what you think before ordering a whole bottle.

I just got a decent deal on a bottle of Aberlour 12yo (almost the other extreme from Laphroaig) from Amazon for £28. The smell is truly glorious to me.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Cloggy @ Thu May 14, 2020 3:44 pm

My favorite is Highland Park.
Cloggy

Post by wi11iam @ Thu May 14, 2020 4:12 pm

For some reason the blooming obvious of try it in the pub hadn’t occurred to me - probably because I go there once a month tops.

But it’s a top tip!

Now all I need is the pubs to open again.
wi11iam

Post by S1K @ Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 pm

Just make sure you’re going to a pub which you trust isn’t filling all the bottles from a barrel of Asda’s own brand in the cellar.
S1K

Post by deev @ Tue May 19, 2020 9:39 pm

Laphroaig does smell like TCP. It's a bit of an acquired taste but worth it.

Cloggy, highland park is lovely, less severe than dome but still with some peat and honey. Have you tried Scapa? It's the other one from Orkney and has no peat at all. It isnt put through as many distillations as it used to be back in the day bit it's still very pleasant and a bit different to other whiskys.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Dr Wolff @ Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:13 pm

Disastrous wrote:Delighted to have reached so many of you this way.
Another vote for you here, mate!
Dis took me to a very famous whisky bar in Glasgow, which had shelves of whisky all the way to the victorian-height ceiling. Bastard made the pretty barmaid in a short skirt climb the library ladder to the second top shelf to get an ancient bottle of Glenfarclas down. Memorable on so many levels.

(Sorry I don't visit here often chaps. Been a funny few years and the NHS doesn't allow the breathing space it used to. Do you need me to re-introduce myself?)

PS It was a long time ago, pre-Germany
Dr Wolff

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:15 am

Dr Wolff wrote:
Dis took me to a very famous whisky bar in Glasgow, which had shelves of whisky all the way to the victorian-height ceiling. Bastard made the pretty barmaid in a short skirt climb the library ladder to the second top shelf to get an ancient bottle of Glenfarclas down. Memorable on so many levels.

(Sorry I don't visit here often chaps. Been a funny few years and the NHS doesn't allow the breathing space it used to. Do you need me to re-introduce myself?)

Alright?? Long time no speak! Glad to see you back here :)
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Dr Wolff @ Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:56 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Dr Wolff wrote:

Nice to be back. Funny how you can get out of the habit. I got to the stage at work where there was so much pressure I was forgetting to take a piss let alone look at CTF. A bit more time on my hands now. PM me a catch up of your life, would be great to hear. Similarly, would love to hear from KM too
Dr Wolff

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Dr Wolff wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Dr Wolff wrote:

Well, fcuk. Way to make the rest of us feel happy and included in welcoming you back.

Nice to be back. Funny how you can get out of the habit. I got to the stage at work where there was so much pressure I was forgetting to take a piss let alone look at CTF. A bit more time on my hands now. PM me a catch up of your life, would be great to hear. Similarly, would love to hear from KM too
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Previous

Return to Food & Drink Corner