Unfit to stand trial

A more tightly moderated area.

Unfit to stand trial

Post by Dirk @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:34 pm

I see yet another person (Lord Janner) has been deemed unfit to stand trial (for paedoing in this case).

Now I don't wish to get into the specifics of Lord Janner's case but is anyone else concerned that this seems to be happening more and more that the rich and powerful (aka those with good lawyers) are increasingly avoiding trial for this reason.

I understand why the rule is there, but it is hardly justice "seen to be done" is it?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Re: Unfit to stand trial

Post by Rod Rammage @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Oh Dirk, haven't you heard?

Money talks and justice walks.

Don't worry about poor old Lord Janner. He'll recover in a few months after everything has blown over.
Rod Rammage

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:56 pm

I don't recall any other cases of rich and powerful people being unfit for trial?

Nevertheless it's annoying as a trial isn't only about the alleged perp but also for the victim(s) to show the law does care about them. In essence they've just been told "He might have buggered you but we'll never know now because he's too old"
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Rod Rammage @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:59 pm

There was another fellow. Can't remember.

If he's too ill to stand trial they should have at least have a "fact finding mission" about all this. Where's the harm.

Then again, I suppose if they found out he was a nonce and he didn't get the chance to refute it, well.

Isn't justice supposed to be blind? She has some weighing scales though. I don't know if she's actual blind, or wearing a blindfold. Anyway I rest my case.
Rod Rammage

Post by Turntable @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

thekungfury wrote:Nevertheless it's annoying as a trial isn't only about the alleged perp but also for the victim(s) to show the law does care about them. In essence they've just been told "He might have buggered you but we'll never know now because he's too old"

Agreed. Just one of those frustrating situation where it seems wrong but I cant actually think of a valid alternative hence I can only get up on a small horse about it.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by S1K @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Rod Rammage wrote:There was another fellow. Can't remember.

Ernest Saunders?

The only person in the history of the ever world to recover from Alzheimers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Saunders
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:19 pm

Sure there have been a few in the last few years. As well as Saunders I have found the ones below, though in my mind there were others. The first is an ex-Mp who is suffering from depression after she was caught fiddling parliamentary expenses. I also found that Janner has been claiming expenses for attending the House of Lords in the last couple of years. Fit to do that but not stand trial?

http://www.heart.utest.thisisglobal.com/dunstable/news/local/former-mp-unfit-stand-trial/#mKIOXIX9Q6lvh6p3.97

Also Judge Gee
Banker Roger Seelig
Lady Jane Birdwood
Szymon Serafinowicz
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/focus-its-one-law-for-them-1177638.html

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/13367696.Jury_determines_man__61__deemed_unfit_to_stand_trial__did_sexually_abuse_young_girl_35_years_ago/
Last edited by Dirk on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:49 pm

In that case, no I'm not concerned that this seems to be happening more and more that the rich and powerful (aka those with good lawyers) are increasingly avoiding trial for this reason.

Ridiculous that Janner can be claiming expenses, likewise massively ridiculous that Judge Gee has been paid £80k/yr since his arrest in 1995, got legal aid AND managed to get off with being deemed unfit to stand.
thekungfury

Post by Piquet @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:59 pm

spast1kunt wrote:
Rod Rammage wrote:There was another fellow. Can't remember.

Ernest Saunders?

The only person in the history of the ever world to recover from Alzheimers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Saunders

Genuine lol at this. What a shambles.
Piquet

Post by Barbarianna @ Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:06 pm

It looks like they will proceded to a 'trial of the facts' which is basically a trial without him there. I dont think this leads to a conviction or whev, reading more about it, but the BBC site says it could lead to him bneing hospitalised as a measure of safety.

This actually seems worse than being imprisoned in reality for him: Were he sent to prison he would almost certainly be in a permanent medical wing, looked after and whev. Then he would get out and thats that, assuming he gets a sentence short enouh to still live.

With the hospitalisation thing it would probably be permanent because the Home Office or some other government bods would work to decide his release, and this could well mean never getting out at all, simply because nobody wants to risk being accountable if he does some peedling on release.
Barbarianna

Return to Serious Chat